Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

Richmond did the same until they worked it out.

Hawthorn took 36 years to win their first VFL flag, Richmond took 30 plus years to break a premiership gap, and Geelong it was 44 years from 1963 to 2007.
Agreed, I think freo can push it much further than any of those teams.

Prestia, Nankervis, and Caddy had an impact. At the time I thought that Richmond should have gone to draft with pick 6 but in the end Prestia was a better choice. Nankervis and Caddy didn't cost much.

In the past, Fremantle have toppled up a few times which has ended in a horrible outcome. Makes Docker fans a bit gun shy.

Out of best 22 only Fyfe, Walters and O'Meara are over the 30, Ryan, Pearce, and Switta are between 27-29 and the rest of the best 22 are 26-year-old and under.

Our board was furious about the Prestia trade at the time.

Out of interest, if you got baker, Bolton and Warner for all of this and next years firsts, what would be the benchmark for calling good trading?

Multiple premierships?
Premiership?
Multiple GFs?
GF?
Multiple top 4s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Out of interest, if you got baker, Bolton and Warner for all of this and next years firsts, what would be the benchmark for calling good trading?

Multiple premierships?
Premiership?
Multiple GFs?
GF?
Multiple top 4s?

With a new coach I would expect one flag without Baker, Bolton, and Warner.

With the same coach, one flag with Bolton.

Without the same coach, 2 flags with Bolton.

Baker improves our best 22 but we need one or two game breakers.

Having Baker, Bolton and Warner I expect 2 flags and 3 flags with a new coach.

With a new coach I would expect one flag without Baker, Bolton, and Warner.

With the same coach, one flag with Bolton.

Without the same coach, 2 flags with Bolton.

Baker improves our best 22 but we need one or two game breakers.

Having Baker, Bolton and Warner I expect 2 flags and 3 flags with a new coach.
Gee you talk a lot of rubbish. This isn't math.

Freos last game of the season showed exactly what they needed (and currently lack).

Players that arent afraid to dig in and win crucial contests at big moments in games.

Bolton and Baker are perfect targets for what they are missing regardless of what their fans think. Baker brings grit to a team that doesn’t have it. Bolton brings class and finishes off their forward line.

Personally I’d rather see these two eek out their careers at West Coast than bring Freo success.

I have no idea what Jack Martin brings though. Another member of their rehab group?

Out of spite for Freo or the players?
No spite at all Snuff.
I just think Baker and Bolton would see your mob being up there contending over the next 2-3 years with such an even comp and break your flag duck.

I’m not one for giving other teams a leg up to win a flag, that’s all.

No disrespect to the players or any club.

No spite at all Snuff.
I just think Baker and Bolton would see your mob being up there contending over the next 2-3 years with such an even comp and break your flag duck.

I’m not one for giving other teams a leg up to win a flag, that’s all.

No disrespect to the players or any club.
Surely you can let us have one? We can go back to irrelevance on field after that I promise

Surely you can let us have one? We can go back to irrelevance on field after that I promise
I’ve always held the view that if you get both you’d be on your way to contending. I don’t get the dislike from some Freo fans on Baker.

After we won our first flag I understood it’s not about having to win trades, it’s about bringing in a squad to contend for a flag. Whether you get there by giving up pick 13 or 23 at the end of the day for a player will become completely irrelevant. But some seem to believe that’s the be all and end all. Have to admit I was like that too pre our first flag.

I’ve always held the view that if you get both you’d be on your way to contending. I don’t get the dislike from some Freo fans on Baker.

After we won our first flag I understood it’s not about having to win trades, it’s about bringing in a squad to contend for a flag. Whether you get there by giving up pick 13 or 23 at the end of the day for a player will become completely irrelevant. But some seem to believe that’s the be all and end all. Have to admit I was like that too pre our first flag.
Not dislike, just opportunity cost to bring in other pieces

I think it makes sense tbh, Baker is still that "roleplayer" type. He's not exciting. We've also been fed a staple diet of Warner rumours and you'd think Baker makes that impossible even next year from a cap perspective.

Not dislike, just opportunity cost to bring in other pieces
Hmm im not sure those other pieces are realistic though. Who knows though, Bolton and Jack Martin may be enough to tip you over to contend next year….

I’d be adding Baker into that side after that mental capitulation against port at home in the last round of the year. More grit in the middle is required immediately.

Hmm im not sure those other pieces are realistic though. Who knows though, Bolton and Jack Martin may be enough to tip you over to contend next year….

I’d be adding Baker into that side after that mental capitulation against port at home in the last round of the year. More grit in the middle is required immediately.
And if those other pieces aren’t an option, baker comes in. But not before.

We want a Range Rover, but if we can’t get one, a navara will do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it makes sense tbh, Baker is still that "roleplayer" type. He's not exciting. We've also been fed a staple diet of Warner rumours and you'd think Baker makes that impossible even next year from a cap perspective.
Baker isn’t exciting.

But what is exciting is a side that puts its head over the ball and wins the important contests in big games. Those that crack in to a contest when it’s there to be won. Like port did against your mob in the last game of the season.

I wanted (and still want) Baker to stay.
Would have made him captain as well.
Those that measure his worth in stats and Brownlow votes have no idea of his importance to our side over the last few years. Going to miss him.

And if those other pieces aren’t an option, baker comes in. But not before.

We want a Range Rover, but if we can’t get one, a navara will do
Sounds good.
But you may not be dictating on Warner and Pickett coming over. The ship may sail and you are left with Bolton and Jack Martin.

Will that be enough for you to contend, I’m not sure?

Baker isn’t exciting.

But what is exciting is a side that puts its head over the ball and wins the important contests in big games. Those that crack in to a contest when it’s there to be won. Like port did against your mob in the last game of the season.

I wanted (and still want) Baker to stay.
Would have made him captain as well.
Those that measure his worth in stats and Brownlow votes have no idea of his importance to our side over the last few years. Going to miss him.
I do still think him staying would have been best for everyone but clearly not what he wants.

I do still think him staying would have been best for everyone but clearly not what he wants.
Yep, we have a bunch of kids that need a leader to set standards on and off the field. More important to have senior leaders that can do this, otherwise we end up like North Melbourne over the past few seasons. Relying on guys like Shiels and Howe to lead.

Will be a challenge without him no doubt.

We would like to, especially when the alternative is he goes to a team where their supporters have no idea of his talent and value.
Yeah but what happens in the Liam Baker trade, it will be a precedent.

Because imagine if a WA club has a 170 cm bloke that wants to head back to Victoria and wants to play for Richmond?

Multiple premierships?
Premiership?
Multiple GFs?
GF?
Multiple top 4s?

What would you think would be the benchmark if we didn't trade for them?

Yep, we have a bunch of kids that need a leader to set standards on and off the field. More important to have senior leaders that can do this, otherwise we end up like North Melbourne over the past few seasons. Relying on guys like Shiels and Howe to lead.

Will be a challenge without him no doubt.

Yep.

One of the big 'what ifs' of the Suns for mine is...

Setting up, we threw the kitchen sink at Ablett so we could have a superstar to lead the club, and realistically, that achieved very little except bringing a few extra fans through the gate.

Would the club be in a better state if they'd thrown that money at leaders like Cotchin? (we'd probably have gotten him cheaper, but that's a separate point).

Pokemon Slowpoke GIF
Ah the Slowpoke.... Just needs the 🐚 on its tail to stand up.

Yep I get the Pokemon reference

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back