Liam Jurrah being held by police -Sen

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
correct! Warlpri justice.
Jail is not and never will be the answer to the problems at Yuendumu.
Tribal payback is the only thing Warlpri understand.

You are right. Alice Springs Correctional Centre would just be an opportunity for a Warlpri man to have a family reunion. I say bring back the cat o' nine tails!

Man who carries a machete to around known enemies, and the guy gets butchered. Shouldn't there be consequences? 'Just came round for a friendly chat and I brought my friend, Mr Machete, along for the fun.'

Interesting to note, Tribal Justice now includes being runover by a car.

I've never said if he's found guilty he shouldn't be punished. :confused::confused:

But I'm sure Melbourne will be doing everything possible to defend Liam.

No doubt.

But what I'm saying is I don't think Melbourne will be asking Liam 'are you guilty?', they'll simply get him the best possible representation and try and get the best result for him.

The question we should ask ourselves is whether we would want our children, siblings or the like to associate with someone who has been charged with violent offending?

My answer would be NO. My guess is that yours would be similar...

So why does the Melbourne Football Club and AFL allow Liam Jurrah, an alleged violent offender, to remain involved in footy?

So why does the Melbourne Football Club and AFL allow Liam Jurrah, an alleged violent offender, to remain involved in footy?
[/FONT]

It only becomes as issue if a guilty verdict is found. Until then he will be virtually invisible. Won't be playing. What's the big deal? It would carry a jail term if found guilty, so of course he will be delisted if he's found guilty.

'implied face palm picture text, when finding the picture itself is just too much effort for what you've just written'

ALLEGED, you twat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Under NT law any person convicted of a violent offence must serve a term of imprisonment. It is not an assumption, it is a fact! My local mayor recently served a 10 day sentencing for attacking his neighbour with a golf club.

Delisting by the Demons is a definitely an assumption!

Quite true. Jail term is fact. Delisting is an assumption but a guilty verdict is likely to make it very hard to get him back to any sort of concentration on his football. I think that would be the end of the Jurrah experiment. Yes, that's just my personal prediction. Of course, I hope he isn't guilty and that this is a massive misunderstanding.

There is a very high conviction rate here in the NT, unless you are able to blame your crime on a dingo! My bet would be that Liam will be reunited with his cousins at Alice Springs Correctional Centre in the near future...

There is a very high conviction rate here in the NT, unless you are able to blame your crime on a dingo! My bet would be that Liam will be reunited with his cousins at Alice Springs Correctional Centre in the near future...

So do the jail-terms tend to be very short in the NT? If the conviction rate is so high, how else could they cope with the number of prisoners? Do they have very large prisons in the NT?

So do the jail-terms tend to be very short in the NT? If the conviction rate is so high, how else could they cope with the number of prisoners? Do they have very large prisons in the NT?

I'm not sure about the length of jail terms, but we in the NT have very large prisons relative to our populations. I think there are six prisoners to ever 100 people, when it is something like 2 prisoners for every 100 people in the south. Something like 85% of all prisoners are Indigenous! I've been into the Darwin jail for work and it is definitely a culture shock.

I'm not sure about the length of jail terms, but we in the NT have very large prisons relative to our populations. I think there are six prisoners to ever 100 people, when it is something like 2 prisoners for every 100 people in the south. Something like 85% of all prisoners are Indigenous! I've been into the Darwin jail for work and it is definitely a culture shock.

The Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody (RCIADIC) reported in 1991. At that time, Aboriginal people made up 14% of the total prison population and were up to 15 times more likely to be in prison than non-Aboriginal people.

... the number of Indigenous prisoners has increased significantly over the 17-years since the RDIADC. Indigenous prisoners represented 24% of the total prisoner population (6139 males and 567 females)

Source: http://www.hreoc.gov.au/social_justice/statistics/index.html

The article points out that there has also been an increase in the percentage of people self identifying as indigenous so its possible that the increase is less about the real ratio of indigenous to non-indigenous but in the numbers of people identifying themselves as indigenous. The Aboriginal and TSI population increased by ~71% between the 1991 and 2006 census, compared to a ~17.5% increase in total population in Australia (assuming my maths is correct based on 1991 and 2006 census population)

Not really making a point, just thought i would add some science to the discussion
http://www.hreoc.gov.au/social_justice/statistics/index.html#fn123

The Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody (RCIADIC) reported in 1991. At that time, Aboriginal people made up 14% of the total prison population and were up to 15 times more likely to be in prison than non-Aboriginal people.

... the number of Indigenous prisoners has increased significantly over the 17-years since the RDIADC. Indigenous prisoners represented 24% of the total prisoner population (6139 males and 567 females)

The article points out that there has also been an increase in the percentage of people self identifying as indigenous so its possible that the increase is less about the real ratio of indigenous to non-indigenous but in the numbers of people identifying themselves as indigenous. The Aboriginal and TSI population increased by ~71% between the 1991 and 2006 census, compared to a ~17.5% increase in total population in Australia (assuming my maths is correct based on 1991 and 2006 census population)

Not really making a point, just thought i would add some science to the discussion

An interesting observation, one has to wonder about the motives of some of these pretend aboriginals.

That same study indicated that they were more likely to die or be killed if released from custody so its a matter of picking and choosing your stats.

An interesting observation, one has to wonder about the motives

Not particularly, Andrew.

Only if one is blatantly racist, ignorant, and holds a long-standing and well-known prejudice against all those who are different to him :rolleyes:

It's really a horrible situation:

"[There are] hygiene problems, you're looking at the worst case scenarios in Darwin and Alice Springs with dormitories, approximately 10 metres by five metres that could house up to 12 to 14 prisoners with one toilet and one hand basin," he said.
"So you've got the prisoners living in third world conditions, where we don't have enough bunks, so we've got mattresses on the floor and they're sleeping within one metre of a toilet that 14 other prisoners have to use."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-23/nt-prisons-described-as-third-world/3967114

The NT also hasn't done away with jail sentences less than 3 months, due to the rednecks here, like every other state has.

So, traffic offenders and so forth often make up a huge churn in the prison population.

It's also become a larger problem due to the wider coverage of the police force now in the NT, due to the intervention.

An interesting observation, one has to wonder about the motives of some of these pretend aboriginals.

Classic stuff from Ted..:D

Maybe these pretend aboriginals have all gotten together to slant the stats just to confuse everyone?

Or possibly they are not pretend at all and have recently decided it's safe enough to openly identify with their heredity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back