Computers & Internet Life before the internet

Remove this Banner Ad

Some cultures are worse than others at this sort of thing.

I remember speaking to a particular international student from India once. He said he went on a web site to understand how to better fit in when in Australia. He said the best advice that summed up Australia for him was that he should always say hello to cleaners, bus drivers, etc. Found that really interesting to hear.

There are a lot of yuppies in Sydney's Inner West who must've missed this memo.

Is there a 'Things that make you feel uncomfortable' thread? I despise seeing notifications for unread messages on my phone.
The iPhone needs a function (and I really don't know why anybody at Apple has not thought of this yet), that you should be able to read a text, but then mark it as unread if you need to reply to it later.

Is there a 'Things that make you feel uncomfortable' thread? I despise seeing notifications for unread messages on my phone.
I despise notifications for everything except the phone ringing and text alerts. Everything else, notifications turned OFF. At present grappling with Telstra trying to stop them sending texts saying 1. Your phone bill is about to arrive. 2. Your phone bill arrived, go HERE. 3. Thanks for your direct debit, go HERE for your receipt. Then there's, So-and-so (or a number) called you on your landline but didn't leave a message. If they didn't leave a message they'll obviously call back. Or not.
I don't want any of this sh!t. I don't want to be at the beck and call of a device, but they have taken over our lives. Has anyone else noticed? :laughing:

I despise notifications for everything except the phone ringing and text alerts. Everything else, notifications turned OFF. At present grappling with Telstra trying to stop them sending texts saying 1. Your phone bill is about to arrive. 2. Your phone bill arrived, go HERE. 3. Thanks for your direct debit, go HERE for your receipt. Then there's, So-and-so (or a number) called you on your landline but didn't leave a message. If they didn't leave a message they'll obviously call back. Or not.
I don't want any of this sh!t. I don't want to be at the beck and call of a device, but they have taken over our lives. Has anyone else noticed? :laughing:
Yeah notifications suck.

The better apps let you customise which ones you get. AFL not too bad, I chose team announcements and close game alerts.

If the app pisses me off with them, I either delete app or disable all notifications at the OS level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Computers & Internet Life before the internet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back