Ling - credit where credit's due

Remove this Banner Ad

Just need to balance the ledger here. There's been a lot of bagging of the number 45 lately, a lot of it deservedly so. But last night he was very good.

Couldn't have asked for a better job on "the star" Nick Stevens. Absolute blanketing.

Got more of the ball than his opponent and, bar two exceptions, used it very well. Even pushed forward and kicked a nice goal.

That's the type of game we need to see from him more often.

I thought he had a good game also...there were times when he looked a little indesicive.

I loved his one on one in the goal square. he held his ground well, even though the free kick was deserved, it would have been better to see him take a strong contested mark

Just need to balance the ledger here. There's been a lot of bagging of the number 45 lately, a lot of it deservedly so. But last night he was very good.

Couldn't have asked for a better job on "the star" Nick Stevens. Absolute blanketing.

Got more of the ball than his opponent and, bar two exceptions, used it very well. Even pushed forward and kicked a nice goal.

Agree 100%. He was sensational. Pushed forward and had the better of Nick Stevens.

Definitely a spot for him every single week if he plays like that.

Agree 100%. He was sensational. Pushed forward and had the better of Nick Stevens.

Definitely a spot for him every single week if he plays like that.

I also will eat humble pie. That's the most positive game i've seen him play for years. He used the ball well :eek: and became a play maker when we had possession.

Yum..Yum.. sure does taste good. :)

Great Game by Lingy, hopefully this will silence his critics.

(I still find it hard to understand why Ling copped so much negativity on this forum over the summer months, Sure he may not be as gifted as others but his dedication, effort and commitment to the Geelong Footy club is outstanding. And if more of the so called naturals (Kelly etc) had the same attitude and endevour as Ling last year we would not have finished 10th. )

He did play pretty well...

Only Criticism was just before 1/2 time where he got indecisive and the whole team appeared to follow with this and 5 minutes of backwards/sideways football was to follow.

Against any half decent team that probably would have cost a goal or 2 and given them the momentum at half time. Could have been very different result if Carlton had have turned it over.

Apart from that, well done to Ling! :thumbsu:

He did play pretty well...

Only Criticism was just before 1/2 time where he got indecisive and the whole team appeared to follow with this and 5 minutes of backwards/sideways football was to follow.

Against any half decent team that probably would have cost a goal or 2 and given them the momentum at half time. Could have been very different result if Carlton had have turned it over.

Apart from that, well done to Ling! :thumbsu:

He did some mistakes but so did Scarlett, Corey, Ottens, Mackie, Byrnes etc.. But hey it's only round 2 & there is a heap of room for improvement.
There were times Ling kicked sideways & backwards but sometimes that was due to no forwards leading or he had nobody to kick to.

Yup, good call. Stevens never got into it because of Ling.

Not the first time the coach has gone into bat for one of the players in the media and they have responded.

Poor old Ginger Nuts - he has been given a lot of stick of late - he was an essential player in our win last night. Just as long as he can ignore the "icon" status given to him locally and work as hard as he did at TD, he will have earned his hoops.

how many of us actually went to the game?

he turned it over or was responsible for the ball being turned over at least 5 times. he played on and at least ran into two opposition players at least two time. he doesnt have eyes for the ball, he was more worried about holding and grappling stevens WWE style than playing football.

and he always holds play up while he is taking an eternity to decide what to do next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he turned it over or was responsible for the ball being turned over at least 5 times. he played on and at least ran into two opposition players at least two time. he doesnt have eyes for the ball, he was more worried about holding and grappling stevens WWE style than playing football.

and he always holds play up while he is taking an eternity to decide what to do next.

Lies make baby Jesus cry.

I've been one of his biggest critics on here, so I am quite willing to eat a slice of humble pie and admit he was great last night.

Actually had to agree with the guy I was sitting next to on the bus on the way home who said that Ling is so often remembered for the bad things he does, but little notice is taken of the good things he has done. I think the fact he stands out with the flowing red locks doesn't help him in that regard, or the fact a few of his mistakes are absolute howlers. Having said that, last night was more evidence that the guy should be used purely as a tagger, with the odd possession to hurt the opposition on the rebound.

Lies make baby Jesus cry.

no lies, just the straight truth.

if ling had a good game then shannon byrnes dominated...that is a lie.

besides, jubjub said it best in another thread:

Nicole and Ling [Nicoles likely opponent] may as well take a deck of cards tonight and play snap on the wing.It's all they'll be useful for.

no lies, just the straight truth.

If not lies then a horrible misread of the game.

Notice how posters who have been bagging him mercilessly for weeks have said he played well? There's a reason.

Exactly. Yeah, he might have kept Stevens quiet but he still cost us with his multiple mistakes from a lack of quick thinking with the ball and shoddy disposal.

It was a better effort than last week but hardly humble pie eating material.

I reckon that Stevens is the perfect matchup for Ling. Not overly quick and really their only genuine quality midfielder of any experience. I don't reckon you will find that he will have equivalent matchups with every other team. Maybe it is time for him to be in and out of the team based on whether their is a suitable matchup?

Having said that he was good tonight. Looks to have finally got the message to keep the play going.

Ling just seems to polarise opinion. I would say that it was a good game without being great. He took an average midfielder (because that was Stevens is, IMO) out of the game and had plenty of himself. He had some shoddy disposal, and a couple of times hesitated, got caught, and turned it over. He also took some strong marks in defence and attack and kicked a pair. Room to improve, but he should stay in the side.

Lingy is a very good run with player. Unfortunately the coach hasn't been using him much in that role. That should be his role every week.

If we can believe the coach that will be his role this season again hopefully.

Those wanting to still bag Ling for last night's game give me the impression they havent played a footy match themselves for like 50 years. You know like unexpected things happen, people bumping into you etc...if you are looking for perfection or anything even resembling an error free performance at the speed footy is played at today...maybe you should start watching hairs being split in a laboratory as a sport.

I went to the game last night and he turned it over more than he should...true. I have a feeling he knows he needs to work on it. I also feel it was his best game for a long time as a good majority of his disposals counted for something too and were very effective forward centre so credit needs to be given where credit is due as the thread says or you start to question the mindset of what people are actually doing posting on here when its all completely negative... one post after another about the same people..over and over.

Give it a rest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ling - credit where credit's due

Remove this Banner Ad

Back