Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something which may have been overlooked due to our success this year is how we absolutely DESTROYED last years trade period. Not sure any other club did better in hindsight.

- Suns pick swap
- Beams trade
- Neale, Linc, Adams

Unfortunate this year’s draft doesn’t seem to be too strong but wow.
And then the bonus of Lyons.

Jeez, I hope they get tickets?

Worst case they have tickets to three games in 2020 where they get to watch the current premieres make other teams cry.

I know that’s totally arrogant but after ten years in the complete wilderness we gotta enjoy our cheap shots while we can.

Looking ahead, person in charge of AFL fixturing said on the radio that you can expect to see Brisbane's fixture change dramatically next year, not just because of our success but because our style is good for TV.

What's on your fixture wishlist?

- A few Friday nights (Home and away) would be on top of mine.

Looking ahead, person in charge of AFL fixturing said on the radio that you can expect to see Brisbane's fixture change dramatically next year, not just because of our success but because our style is good for TV.

What's on your fixture wishlist?

- A few Friday nights (Home and away) would be on top of mine.
> 3 games at the MCG.

> Easter Thursday at the Gabba v the Magpies.

> 6 games in Melbourne.

> 1 Friday night at the Gabba.

> As many big Victorian clubs at home as possible eg. Magpies, Bombers, Tigers, Blues(I think they'll make a big jump in 2020), Hawks, Cats.

> 3 games at the MCG.

> Easter Thursday at the Gabba v the Magpies.

> 6 games in Melbourne.

> 1 Friday night at the Gabba.

> As many big Victorian clubs at home as possible eg. Magpies, Bombers, Tigers, Blues(I think they'll make a big jump in 2020), Hawks, Cats.
Honestly would love us to keep getting double ups against the Blues. With two teams that should be rising at the same time, I think it will create a really good rivalry over the next few years

Where do we fit in crowd wise when it comes to playing us as opposed to Freo or GWS or Saints etc for a Melb club ... are we economically considered a positive or a pain?
Have looked at the numbers since GWS joined in 2012.

Average away game crowds

Lions - 25992
GWS - 24614
Freo - 26532

The Freo crowds would be skewed by a West Coast derby game each year but very little difference over the years. If we have some sustained success I think we have a bigger base of Melbourne supporters than either GWS and the crowds will come back.

Our style of play means supporters of other clubs will likely want to come to those games whereas as for the last 10 years they might have stayed home. 76000 at the game of the weekend is a pretty good sign. It's the biggest home and away crowd involving a non Victorian team since at least 2000 (couldn't be bothered going further back).

My big hope is that they capitalise on the increased support and exposure to lock int he Easter Thursday game and some free to air Friday night games against big Vic clubs. This will help drive sponsorship numbers and get the club into a health financial position.

I was really worried we blew that Easter Thursday fixture with our poor showing but such a good season since surely locks that in? I think it would be a great annual event. Would love some home games against the big Vic clubs , some at the MCG and some Friday night games too. Would love to not get the twilight Sunday slot Freo again too.

Saturday night games get the big crowds in Brisbane and you can bet your bottom $ that nearly every home game next year will be either Saturday twilight or Saturday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love this and Ozzy Man...enjoy (language warning):

Love the Fagan/Andrews hug as the final scene. Fagan said that that was a bit embarrassing so knowing ozzy man reviews has about 3.5million subscribers might make him grimace. Love to see his reaction if he ever finds that out. Kudos to anyone here who can organise it.

Love the Fagan/Andrews hug as the final scene. Fagan said that that was a bit embarrassing so knowing ozzy man reviews has about 3.5million subscribers might make him grimace. Love to see his reaction if he ever finds that out. Kudos to anyone here who can organise it.

If ever there was a moment that galvanised a team behind a coach - for life - that was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back