Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt, but the coach bears responsibility too if he repeatedly selects players who don't perform. While I doubt we could have overcome Richmond even with some changes, I'm pretty confident we could have easily accounted for GWS with a slightly different team.

Overall I'm pleased with what Rayner showed this year, especially towards the end. He didn't deserve to play as many games as he did though, he was pretty bad for a stretch before the bye.

Yep, in time we'll know whether this sticking to a group was a master stroke or we could've gone differently. But one thing players know for sure, Fagan will absolutely back them in even if struggling, when he's got that belief in them.

I thought Rayner's form towards the end of the season was up with the best half-dozen in the side.

The kid is clearly all class. He wasn’t perfect but often he found a way to make something happen when he was around the ball.

I thought Rayner's form towards the end of the season was up with the best half-dozen in the side.

It's extremely easy to forget the kid is 19 and playing in an extremely hard role. I think once he had the fitness to spend more time up the ground his confidence skyrocketed. He was leading better than before and hitting contests incredibly hard. Similar to Hugh, he was always going to take a few years to come on and I have no doubt he will have a huge pre season.

It is still pretty amazing that on the weekend our 22 contained 7 1-3 year players. Further to that, we came second with 7 young blokes on the field which is an achievement in itself.

Disagree. The projected best game of the round should be scheduled for Fri night. It is the flagship game and shouldn’t be a charitable offering.
That's good in theory, but projecting what will be a good game, 9 - 10 months out is folly. Round 22 saw Sydney v Melbourne for goodness sake, Round 23 was Sydney v Saints and there were a good number of dud games before that on a Friday night. Sharing it around makes just as much sense and is just as likely to deliver a mix of good and not so good games. Sydney got 5 Fridays, based on what?
We would all like Friday to be the match of the round, but the reality is, that will never happen each week, So why not share it around?
Collingwood - 8 games
Essendon - 6 games
Hawthorn - 5 games
North Melb - 4 games
Sydney - 5 games
Geelong - 3 games
Melbourne - 3 games
Richmond - 3 games
Port - 3 games
Adelaide - 3 games
West Coast - 3 games
Western Bulldogs - 1 game
GWS - 1 game

Carlton, St Kilda, Freo, Gold Coast, Brisbane - 0 games.

This is neither a fair situation, nor did it produce great viewing, week in, week out.
23 Fridays, 18 teams; there is zero reason for not giving every team a Friday game.

Half of the last 6 Q Clashes have been decided by 5 points or less.
I think that's more than enough justification for a Friday spot.

That's good in theory, but projecting what will be a good game, 9 - 10 months out is folly. Round 22 saw Sydney v Melbourne for goodness sake, Round 23 was Sydney v Saints and there were a good number of dud games before that on a Friday night. Sharing it around makes just as much sense and is just as likely to deliver a mix of good and not so good games. Sydney got 5 Fridays, based on what?
We would all like Friday to be the match of the round, but the reality is, that will never happen each week, So why not share it around?
Collingwood - 8 games
Essendon - 6 games
Hawthorn - 5 games
North Melb - 4 games
Sydney - 5 games
Geelong - 3 games
Melbourne - 3 games
Richmond - 3 games
Port - 3 games
Adelaide - 3 games
West Coast - 3 games
GWS - 1 game

This is neither a fair situation, nor did it produce great viewing, week in, week out.
23 Fridays, 18 teams; there is zero reason for not giving every team a Friday game.

Agree with some of the things you said apart from your last 2 sentences. Lol at Brisbane v suns as prime time Friday night viewing. To get the audience it's going to need a Victorian team and a good one.
Brisbane v Richmond or a full strength hawks or even Carlton if they start their rise. We've already got Magpies on a Thursday so no point adding them in as an option.

Agree with some of the things you said apart from your last 2 sentences. Lol at Brisbane v suns as prime time Friday night viewing. To get the audience it's going to need a Victorian team and a good one.
Brisbane v Richmond or a full strength hawks or even Carlton if they start their rise. We've already got Magpies on a Thursday so no point adding them in as an option.
The thing with Friday night football, is that it has an audience. It has no other games to compete with. Some people might decide to go out or wash their hair instead, but a huge number will watch Friday night football regardless of who's playing.

Any news on what the boys got up to for Mad Monday?
d195f8bab48d61d7883d6b2a6566a525

35edd9af9d4e73aa1b27e39154baba70

5718918d5844c47f04b911a78f494fe0

96d475af18fc72be23f25fcd9acbd507

86812dc205dc72d5d3ebef2f56f81d53

8fa75a6d2ebaa53c465dc058405163f0

e500276e1f227f42d9c6bb98a50ddbb0

e8b8749d205253c8201cd73b84253d34

Collingwood - 8 games
Essendon - 6 games
Hawthorn - 5 games
North Melb - 4 games
Sydney - 5 games
Geelong - 3 games
Melbourne - 3 games
Richmond - 3 games
Port - 3 games
Adelaide - 3 games
West Coast - 3 games
GWS - 1 game

Well, the round you cited would have seen Richmond play West Coast, given they were arguably the two premiership favourites coming into the year, the last two premiers and both played a prelim in 2018.

Projecting the best game of the week should result in a quality contest most weeks. Perhaps it won’t be the absolute best game but at least it is better than using a flawed popularity contest and instead relies on actual football playing ability.

As far as the Q Clash goes, they are terrible games of footy most times. The closeness of the result is about all they have going for them most times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Story on fox about the fact that Christensen hasn't been offered a contract for 2020 yet...

He’s been genuine top 22 and has talked about how he loved working with the kids in the twos. He loved coming back into the team the same game Answeth debuted.

They might be waiting to see who they can bring in and replace him with. Ah Chee might be able to play the same role. He’s not gc best 22 but that’s not an indication of ability.

We want our players to stay and be loyal but clubs are brutal back at them.

He’s been genuine top 22 and has talked about how he loved working with the kids in the twos. He loved coming back into the team the same game Answeth debuted.

They might be waiting to see who they can bring in and replace him with. Ah Chee might be able to play the same role. He’s not gc best 22 but that’s not an indication of ability.

Ah Chee certainly is best 22 at the Suns and the only thing that has kept him out is injury.

Walker seems to like his swimsuit inspired costumes - this effort and he was in Speedo’s or the wrestling get up.

hodge dressed as walker from his Geelong days - clearly a fun relationship. Hope walker is still here next year.

Rich was dressed as Pre-2019 Josh Walker at the Lions too IIRC

End of season interviews will be over next couple of days, with delistings announced Thursday or Friday, same pattern as last year.
Yep, according to AFL.com a list management meeting tonight followed by exit interviews Wed and Thu.

Hard to imagine we would delist Bundy. Even if we bring in a couple of trades he would still be best 25 you would think. You don't offload those unless you need their salary.

Bundy is just too slow these days. Cracks in, and defends well but gets caught with the ball every time. To improve we must give priority to AhChee or Cox - get the games they need into them. I would not be surprised to find out we do not have the list space to keep him, but would have no problem if we did.

Bundy is just too slow these days. Cracks in, and defends well but gets caught with the ball every time. To improve we must give priority to AhChee or Cox - get the games they need into them. I would not be surprised to find out we do not have the list space to keep him, but would have no problem if we did.
Can't agree that he is too slow. He has added some speed and tackling pressure in the forward line. Just a case of what their bigger picture is moving forward I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back