Swanny10

Crasher of Packs
Sep 14, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GSW (NBA), Maroons, QLD Bulls
Not sure if anyone else heard this but on SEN's, Harftime program yesterday they interviewed a lady(can't remember her name) who was a professor from the ACU in QLD. She is a apparently a world leader in sports injuries etc.

She was talking of how she had conducted a case study on one of the AFL teams to study how back muscle strength could decrease during the season (apparently quite a lot) which can lead to a greatly increased risk in injuries like knees, hamstrings, groins etc. She then also introduced a targeted back strengthening program to said team to maintain their back strength throughout the season and apparently the results were extremely positive as far preventing these injuries.

At the end she mentioned the team was in fact the lions and they really bought in to the whole program which was fantastic. When she confirmed it was the Lions it all seemed to make a whole lot of sense considering injuries of this type we've had in recent years and then comparing that with last year. Hopefully it continues on for us this year!

The interview is now up on the SEN Audio page in 2 parts:

Professor Julie Hides with Daniel Harford and Paul Coburn
Professor Julie Hides joined Daniel Harford and Paul Coburn during the Fit and Well segment. She is an expert in the area of injury prevention in the AFL.

Part 1
Part 2

The Lions are mentioned at 6:50 of Part 2.

The interview is now up on the SEN Audio page in 2 parts:

Professor Julie Hides with Daniel Harford and Paul Coburn
Professor Julie Hides joined Daniel Harford and Paul Coburn during the Fit and Well segment. She is an expert in the area of injury prevention in the AFL.

Part 1
Part 2

The Lions are mentioned at 6:50 of Part 2.

Her Bio

I have been involved in physiotherapy practice and research for the past 24 years. For the last 12 years, I have worked in the Division of Physiotherapy at the University of Queensland and throughout this time I have developed and taught numerous units in undergraduate and postgraduate physiotherapy, and supervised research masters and PhD students. For the last 14 years I have also been the Clinical Director of the Back Stability Clinic, located at the Mater Hospital in Brisbane. The Back Stability Clinic is a research clinic, and having a role at the clinic has allowed me to continue to practice physiotherapy.

My current research focuses on developing and assessing the effectiveness of motor control based intervention programs forpeople with low back pain. This has involved the use of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and ultrasound imaging. I have recently conducted a randomized clinical trial on motor control training for elite AFL players, have conducted a series of studies on elite cricketers and am also currently conducting collaborative research with the New Zealand Academy of Sports. I have been a collaborative scientist for the 1st and 2nd Berlin Bed-rest Studies, conducted with the European Space Agency. I have received research grants from the European Space Agency, Brisbane Lions AFL Team, Cricket Australia, Queensland Health and the University of Queensland. I am a Fellow of the Australian College of Physiotherapists and co-author of a textbook on therapeutic exercise for lumbo-pelvic stabilization. I currently have 67 publications in this field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Told ya's.....can't beat meat and 5 veg diet with good solid exercise!!;)

..pfft, who needs all those needles and stuff..... we will lead the pack once more!:p

Thanks Mighty Roar & POBT for providing some detail, I know my original post lacked a fair bit!

No doubt if we can have as few injuries as last year again we should improve our wins tally again in 2013.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions/Acu back strengthening program reduces injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

Back