Lions are "the League's Strategic Disaster"

Remove this Banner Ad

Just out of curiosity, would you defect from the Lions if the AFL introduced a Tassie team?

I would then be in the envious position of supporting 2 teams.

It's a moot point anyway. There isn't the money to support a Tassie-based team so it will never happen. I go back to my home State regularly and the economy there is a basket case [plus worst unemployment, health, education, etc etc]. The Greens have had such an invidious effect over many years that it has infected the broader population and now there is a negative attitude to near everything [I often joke with my sister who lives there that the number plate logo should be changed to read: "You name it , We're against it"].

Anyone who pops their head above the parapet foolishly wanting to invest is very quickly shot down. I have actually heard some idiot there argue that a proposed development wasn't wanted because the head company was from "the mainland". That would be the rest of Australia!

In every cloud etc- there is so little happening in Tassie that nothing changes. Which is just how many there want it to be.

Lions, Hawthorn and Tasmania = 3 teams!

I'm against it.

Don't forget North Melbourne for a bit there!

I live about 10 minutes from Simmonds Stadium, I love Geelong, I've lived here my entire life, my partner and her entire family are members and diehard Cats fans - I'm immersed with blue and white football fanatics on a daily basis.

But there is no way I would ever barrack for those flogs.

Can I ask a question which may have been asked before. How many Brisbane based members are born and bred Queenslanders? Maybe the answer is unknown?
Me. Played footy in the mid sixties. Serious! Under 7 and 8 but heck it was still in the mid sixties.

Also FWIW that Bennett bloke you are all talking about that News Corpse seem to love even though he was so disgusted by them he refused to talk to them wrote a book about music. A mate gave it to me, a Rugby league mate I might add, and insisted it was really good. Well to be frank I had to disagree. It was waffle. If ya gunna talk about music and come from Brisvages ya have to mention The Saints. This Bennett bloke did not even mention them once I tells ya. Got the music in him! I tells ya he is no Andrew Stafford.

I at least get the feeling there is a plan now, before I think the club was a bit rudderless and trying to save their way out of trouble.

I think the premise of the OP was that we are the League's strategic disaster, not that our own strategies are disastrous.
That is, that the AFL's plan to expand into Queensland with a healthy club to be competitive.

Regardless of what we have in place and how we go forward, like any club, our success depends on how the AFL sees and treats us. Aside from equalisation in funding, strategies around scheduling, TV, and allowances in academy selections at the draft table, all impact the success of our club and the game in general in Queensland.
The move to introduce a second club for Qld and how they are treated (scheduled, TV, draft and financial concessions) also impact us heavily.
I'm not sure the league's strategy for us has changed greatly, other than an early visit by Gil and an apparent recognition that we're in trouble. How or how well they go about fixing that situation will determine whether the league's strategy has improved or improved enough.

Financially we are still there.

As much as we'd all like the Lions to be profitable (or at least not be losing millions each year), I think it will be a slow turnaround, with a profit unlikely before the end of the decade.

That being said, the next AFL viewing rights (TV + Online) are likely to hit the $2 billion mark, so being 1 of 18 clubs that is bringing this type of revenue to the AFL is a massive advantage to us right now...an advantage that Fitzroy, unfortunately never had.

Divided by 18, each team brings in $111 million over 5 years.

Helping us out whilst we get our house in order is the least they could do ;)

That being said, the next AFL viewing rights (TV + Online) are likely to hit the $2 billion mark, so being 1 of 18 clubs that is bringing this type of revenue to the AFL is a massive advantage to us right now...an advantage that Fitzroy, unfortunately never had.

I think everyone needs to be cautious thinking the next TV rights are going to be the panacea for clubs' financial woes.

The 2012-2016 rights sold for $1.25b, approximately $500m more than the 2007-2011 rights. Yet, here are still many of the clubs, posting losses in aggregate terms in-line, if not worse than they were through that period.

I have no confidence that adding $500m-$750m to the next broadcast rights will stop the clubs posting losses (or have much impact at all).

Expenditure will continue to rise (even with a football department spending tax). The competition is too cut-throat and clubs will continue to spend to try and gain an advantage.

The expenditure is the endemic issue in the AFL. It's expenditure that needs to be reigned in. There is certainly not a revenue issue within the league.

As much as we'd all like the Lions to be profitable (or at least not be losing millions each year), I think it will be a slow turnaround, with a profit unlikely before the end of the decade.

I am more than a bit pessimistic about how much the next rights deal will bring. Channel 10 would appear dead, crowds would appear to be on the downward spiral - if I were negotiating for a network I would not be selling the farm. Of course the players will have their hands out, yet so many clubs lost money this season. Our club is insolvent without afl assistance and virtually totally reliant on them to bail us out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Money is not a problem for the league now. The problem is gaining the political will to ensure a more equitable distribution of the game's income.
Agreed, but getting the power bloc to approve it will be the big thing. You only have to look at the watered down equalisation cap to see that. GC & GWS will continue to drain money, putting all the eggs in the TV Rights basket is a disaster waiting to happen - IMO.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the new Swann regime manages to snare a big kahuna sponsor over the foreseeable.

I have nothing to support this suspicion other than the bloke's record and the fact that he had the balls to leave the Eddie regime against strenuous objections, and his apparent ability to quickly discern our liabilities and strengths.

Wouldn't it be great to have a bit of dough for a change and have the AFL applying the handbrake like in the old days.

I am more than a bit pessimistic about how much the next rights deal will bring. Channel 10 would appear dead, crowds would appear to be on the downward spiral - if I were negotiating for a network I would not be selling the farm. Of course the players will have their hands out, yet so many clubs lost money this season. Our club is insolvent without afl assistance and virtually totally reliant on them to bail us out.

Crowds being down would drive the price up; more ad dollars with the traditional stadium audience moving to Foxtel, Channel 7, 9 & 10 and online.

Advertising revenue on the downward curve for traditional media and a lack of innovation in generating alternative revenue streams makes me think the bidding will stale. Football rights are prestigious, but there is a limit to the cash they are able to generate from them in a softening media market.

Don't forget North Melbourne for a bit there!

I live about 10 minutes from Simmonds Stadium, I love Geelong, I've lived here my entire life, my partner and her entire family are members and diehard Cats fans - I'm immersed with blue and white football fanatics on a daily basis.

But there is no way I would ever barrack for those flogs.

Your a better man than I then! I fly down to Newtown once or twice a year to catch Cats game with the old man, I know full well you don't walk around that town in anything but blue and white hoops!

Luckily the games I've seen at the Cattery have been against flog teams.

Your a better man than I then! I fly down to Newtown once or twice a year to catch Cats game with the old man, I know full well you don't walk around that town in anything but blue and white hoops!

Luckily the games I've seen at the Cattery have been against flog teams.

Last game I went to in Geelong was our last win there...

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions are "the League's Strategic Disaster"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back