Lions v Roos Official thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Woodson said:
Maybe it's time to ring Mick Malthouse and ask for the assistant job back at the MUD Pies. :D
To be honest i don't think i'd miss him. I've stuck up for him a fair bit this year thinking that perhaps he is trying something different and that it may take time but now looking back on it he only has one plan and when a turnover occurs we get killed. I just can't see this gameplan ever been successful with an average team. He is trying to play 1980's style football but he has no answer for the run back against the flow. How many times did Brisbane run the ball from half back to goal wiithout a North player touching it? It was embarrassing.

I hope we give Mark Harvey a call.

jozeph said:
Truth hurt?.
If not Laidley, then who Jozeph? In case you hadn't noticed there is bugger all in terms of quality potential coaches available out there. Laidley is clearly a better option than anyone else available out there.

Angus1 said:
. He is trying to play 1980's style football but he has no answer for the run back against the flow. How many times did Brisbane run the ball from half back to goal wiithout a North player touching it? It was embarrassing.
Finally some sanity has arrived on the board, we get slaughtered on a turnover because we have too many onballers who get 'forward of the ball' , I put that in apostrophe to highlight the fact that we have too many receivers who look for easy kicks and I won't leave any one out except Daniel Harris even Wells has picked up this habit and if Laidley is left to run his contract out he will destroy Wells and Motlop and Harris.

year of the roo said:
If not Laidley, then who Jozeph? In case you hadn't noticed there is bugger all in terms of quality potential coaches available out there. Laidley is clearly a better option than anyone else available out there.
Got a new boyfreind YOTR?.

jozeph said:
Got a new boyfreind YOTR?.
Of course not, I am as faithful as they come.

The opposite of you with North it would seem. Feel free to answer my question though, as you are making ridiculous accusations without putting any thought into them.

We were bad tonight, but no one (even the Aints) would have beaten Brisbane. The players should be copping the blame, not Laidley. He can't go out there and kick it for 'em.

year of the roo said:
Feel free to answer my question though, as you are making ridiculous accusations without putting any thought into them.
I agree, I don't have any easy answer to who should replace Laidley, and whoever I put up would be ridiculed anyway, my point is with his coaching style which he tries to encourage the team to play to, the short possesion oriented game doesn't work, I was fortunate to follow North when Pagan was coaching while at the same time play the game albeit at a lower level and whenever we played the long direct kicking game regardless of who was the key forward we had success whenever we played a chip and run game it came unstuck, Pagan adheres to the long kicking , hard at the ball hard at the man game, it will survive finals pressure, North under Pagan proved that.
Laidley and his coaching staff will no doubt be in charge next year at North but the scrutiny will be severe and if he sticks to his current game plan I won't be the lone voice in the wilderness.
My question is simple just because Pagan isn't our coach anymore it doesn't mean we can't use his ideas which he seems to have transferred to Carlton pretty well.

jozeph said:
whoever I put up would be ridiculed anyway
Funny that.

jozeph said:
my point is with his coaching style which he tries to encourage the team to play to, the short possesion oriented game doesn't work, I was fortunate to follow North when Pagan was coaching while at the same time play the game albeit at a lower level and whenever we played the long direct kicking game regardless of who was the key forward we had success whenever we played a chip and run game it came unstuck, Pagan adheres to the long kicking , hard at the ball hard at the man game, it will survive finals pressure, North under Pagan proved that.
Laidley and his coaching staff will no doubt be in charge next year at North but the scrutiny will be severe and if he sticks to his current game plan I won't be the lone voice in the wilderness.
My question is simple just because Pagan isn't our coach anymore it doesn't mean we can't use his ideas which he seems to have transferred to Carlton pretty well.
It doesn't surprise me at all that you haven't figured out for yourself why we cannot play that way anymore. We have 1 very important ingredient missing from that game plan...Carey. It only worked cos we had him saving our asses at CHF. We have no one who can play that role anymore, so Laidley rightly changed the game plan.

You missed my point YOTR, the long kicking, hard at the ball hard at the man game plan works at any level regardless of the foward talent and don't tell me it wouldn't work with Sav Rocca and Drew Petrie in the forward 50 with Motlop and Harding, Harvey etc under their feet.

jozeph said:
You missed my point YOTR, the long kicking, hard at the ball hard at the man game plan works at any level regardless of the foward talent and don't tell me it wouldn't work with Sav Rocca and Drew Petrie in the forward 50 with Motlop and Harding, Harvey etc under their feet.

It worked once, then players started dropping back to CHB...

Next.

Are you two sharing a brain tonight?, back to the conversation, how about hard at the ball and hard at the man?, do we still do that?, the answer is no.
If we were doing that and then we kicked long to a contest in the forward 50 the opposition defence would know that they would get hit hard if they got the ball.
Can only give my own experiences but if you clean a player up once they have a tendency to look for you again and that means they take their eye off the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't see all the game tonight, but it seemed only David King could hit a target close to goal. We had lots of long bombs forward to no-one, except the few times Kingy got it.
That is a concern given how long he has got left in his legs.

scottywiper said:
I didn't see all the game tonight, but it seemed only David King could hit a target close to goal. We had lots of long bombs forward to no-one, except the few times Kingy got it.
That is a concern given how long he has got left in his legs.
That is what you saw tonight, David King hitting targets and heaps of long bombs. F!@#$ me if only it was that simple. Perhaps the game looks different when you take no notice.

That is what you saw tonight, David King hitting targets and heaps of long bombs. F!@#$ me if only it was that simple. Perhaps the game looks different when you take no notice.

Take a chill pill pal, or get some sleep. Some of us were working and could only see parts of the game. I really only got to concentrate on the last quarter and I noted that the only times we went forward to a target King was involved.
I'm sorry I am not astute enough to just say "sack the coach" and pretend that is the cure all.

Shinboners said:
No way.

I get the impression that he'd never be able to work without the cushy facilities at Essendon.

Totally agree. In fact, wasn't there a report in the paper a couple of years ago that Harvey had told North he wasn't interested in coaching a club that couldn't pay 100% of the salary cap? I don't want him anywhere near the NMFC.

Re: Not Welcome Harvey F### OFF !!

GoNorth said:
I don't want him anywhere near the NMFC.

Yup, fully agree...and Jimmy Krakouer knew too well back then he isn't welcome. Who remembers that left hook to the bogan's head ?? :D :D :D Priceless

Let's go easy on Jozeph...obviously something has gone awry in his life...perhaps he was abandoned as an infant by travelling Tiger supporters and was taken in by a kind NMFC family who nurtured him to be a Roo supporter but by his very nature is still a Richmond supporter...

OR...he is suffering from a similar disorder to transgender people except he is a Tiger supporter trapped in a North Melbourne supporter's body....he can't help what he says so some understanding please.

;)

Seriously, calling for Laidley's head is dumb. For starters, who else is there anyway. But more to the point, Laidley has been saying since the day he took the job that there would be lean years...I actually thik we have done better then he expected and certainly better then I expected.

I am bitter we didn't make the eight esp. after our first three games this year but eighth was as high as could have been expected and quite frankly, we are a way from 1st or 2nd. Then again, what did we beat Port by earlier this year???

Roll on 2005, just knowing that young Jesse is coming is something to look forward to.

:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions v Roos Official thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back