List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think small forwards are more important than ever. Having guys that are quick, skillfull enough to create goals out of nothing in congestion but still put pressure on suits the modern game.

That’s your idea, but the reality is very different.

Teams get stoppages and then use mids, where they’ve moved all their better stoppage players / dangerous users anyway.

I love the idea of small forwards crumbing goals galore but the reality is small forwards are often up the ground, or if they’re back inside 50 there’s a lot of players there anyway and it’s just Tom stewert / lever taking intercept marks.

Every position on the ground is worth well more than small forwards, this isn’t just my opinion from observing the game, the entire afl has held this opinion for a long time. any small forward that’s capable will get moved up the ground, hell people talk about Pickett being able to play midfield where he’s not even remotely close to the good mids much less the elite mids.

If he’s one of the top 5 or so small forwards in the game, but wouldn’t even be a top 5 mid in our team, why does he get moved into the midfield ? The reason is because melb , and other teams that seek to do the same, view impact in the midfield as more important.

Again, this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get good or gun small forwards where you can, they absolutely can make a difference, it’s just not as important as other positions.

He's got speed and ability to get out of stoppages and clean hands too but his kicking worries me. And he's also highly rated because of his incredible consistency but I personally don't see the point of difference or the x-factor. I do think the 2 SA club's boards overrate him simply because he's from SA. For Port, I'd take Langford, Smilie, Reid, Armstrong and Lalor ahead of Draper. Think those players just suit our needs and mix better than what Draper does for us.

Not a knock on him, I think he'll go top 4 but just that there's other kids that would give us a different look.

If Houston does leave and we get that pick 7, the draftee to replace him would be Murphy Reid. Excellent ball handling skills and a good decision maker. Long term probs ends up in Midfield, some of his highlights remind me of a certain R Gray

Langford is a left foot midfielder who can go forward and impact the scoreboard (recently had a game of 33 disposals and 4 goals). A left foot midfielder is something we currently don't have in midfield so there's a point of difference.

Smilie is that 194cm big bodied midfielder that has become important in AFL these days. And we have none so another point of difference.

Armstrong is the best KPF in this draft and could be our Dixon replacement.

Lalor is that De Goey sorta player so would be someone who would split MID/FWD role with JHF.

Ah yes, Murphy Reid, Honeyboy Wilson boy. He looks something special.

Going on last years trade stories no one can count on Kysaiah's commitment until he's signed on. Until then we should be chasing him down the rabbit burrow and out the other side.

If we get 7 from the Saints, what are our chances of turning that into Draper?
Saints are not giving up 7 for Houston.

They need to draft high quality midfielders into their team.

That’s your idea, but the reality is very different.

Teams get stoppages and then use mids, where they’ve moved all their better stoppage players / dangerous users anyway.

I love the idea of small forwards crumbing goals galore but the reality is small forwards are often up the ground, or if they’re back inside 50 there’s a lot of players there anyway and it’s just Tom stewert / lever taking intercept marks.

Every position on the ground is worth well more than small forwards, this isn’t just my opinion from observing the game, the entire afl has held this opinion for a long time. any small forward that’s capable will get moved up the ground, hell people talk about Pickett being able to play midfield where he’s not even remotely close to the good mids much less the elite mids.

If he’s one of the top 5 or so small forwards in the game, but wouldn’t even be a top 5 mid in our team, why does he get moved into the midfield ? The reason is because melb , and other teams that seek to do the same, view impact in the midfield as more important.

Again, this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get good or gun small forwards where you can, they absolutely can make a difference, it’s just not as important as other positions.
I didn’t say that they were more important than midfielders, but we have the midfield covered. In terms of our list needs a goal kicking small forward that can also pressure would have to be close to top of the list.

I didn’t say that they were more important than midfielders, but we have the midfield covered. In terms of our list needs a goal kicking small forward that can also pressure would have to be close to top of the list.

You said they were more important than ever in the game. That was what I was addressing.

Yes, we do need a high quality small forward on our list.

I haven’t watched much of this years crop but from the little I’ve seen Reid greatly interests me.
I often don't like to compare draftees to current and past AFL players, but there's very few I've seen that are as clean with the ball in hand as Reid. It's always a joy watching him play.

People will knock him down cause he doesn't have the speed to burn. But in our defence and midfield we've got plenty of speed so some clean skills would compliment us so well.

If we Houston and don't get Kozzie with the picks in hand, for me personally it's between him, Lalor and Langford. In that order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matthew Pavlich vibes

Honestly hard pass on Kozzie tbh.

If he’s the type of bloke that’s already stuffed us around 2-3 times before I’d just let him go.

The hot girl who won’t put out.

Can't understand it tbh. His choice where he wants to go. Baffles me. Either there's been issues behind closed doors, as in, with byron and club or people in his ear telling him what to do. But yeah, his choice. I would of "assumed" that his old mum, Byron's sister, who he lived with and was raised by... her directing him to SA and living with Byron to join port district etc was fairly obvious otherwise they would of just stayed in WA?

Saints are not giving up 7 for Houston.

They need to draft high quality midfielders into their team.

That's simple then, they don't get him.

I often don't like to compare draftees to current and past AFL players, but there's very few I've seen that are as clean with the ball in hand as Reid. It's always a joy watching him play.

People will knock him down cause he doesn't have the speed to burn. But in our defence and midfield we've got plenty of speed so some clean skills would compliment us so well.

If we Houston and don't get Kozzie with the picks in hand, for me personally it's between him, Lalor and Langford. In that order.

That's simple then, they don't get him.

Now dual AA defender and contracted long term to Port the decision for any team that wants him is simple. You put out to our satisfaction or you don't get him.

If ever we have leverage on a player who wants to go to a Victorian team, it is with Houston. If you want the dual AA who, barring injury and played in the correct role, will probably be AA again next year, you negotiate a satisfactory deal. Two firsts, one a top 10 pick. Or equivalent. Else watch him become AA again in Port Power colours. You are welcome to try again in 2025.

If ever there was a time to stand firm to Victorian clubs, this is it.

Getting Pickett out of Melbourne would be very painful

Clubs in crisis mode are generally not good trading partners.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back