List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

That's simple then, they don't get him.

Yep, spot on. Dan is now a two time All Australian who has finished in the top three in our B&F over the past three years and to cap if off he has three years left on his contract and that makes him an expensive item. Port are in the driving seat on this one.

UPDATE It is all irrelevant now as Dan has publicly stated that he isn't going anywhere. That is good enough for me.

Last edited:
WAIT for picks coming back for SOLDO as well. Saints/Vic clubs look keen on him.

Soldo is a case of, after another year of being injured his value should not be high

But

There’s zero incentive for us to trade a very capable ruck for peanuts and then be short a ruck. We absolutely cannot and should not go into 2025 with only sweet and vis as our only rucks, so we sell soldo for peanuts and we would have to replace him on the list ..which will cost us

It’s absolutely pointless to downgrade soldo, and gain not very much from it.

A 3rd round pick just isn’t worth it, especially when we need to then go shopping for a backup ruck who may then cost us a pick, or even if he doesn’t downgrading soldo to the next available spud for a pick in the 50s just makes us worse.

Not too mention there’s no way we use a pick in the 50’s this year either

We’ve got 3 f/s ngas who are either rookies or late bids. We need to get 1 or 2 picks well before those bids will come.

For me it’s either

Soldo for Barnett - west coast get a ruck for right now they need and we get another young developing ruck behind vis

Soldo for decent second round pick ie 25- 35

Keep soldo.

I’m not sure if the first 2 options are possible.. but I’d not then we should do option 3.

Getting rid of soldo for cheap after we paid so much for him would just be doubling down on a bad decision.

Soldo is a case of, after another year of being injured his value should not be high

But

There’s zero incentive for us to trade a very capable ruck for peanuts and then be short a ruck. We absolutely cannot and should not go into 2025 with only sweet and vis as our only rucks, so we sell soldo for peanuts and we would have to replace him on the list ..which will cost us

It’s absolutely pointless to downgrade soldo, and gain not very much from it.

A 3rd round pick just isn’t worth it, especially when we need to then go shopping for a backup ruck who may then cost us a pick, or even if he doesn’t downgrading soldo to the next available spud for a pick in the 50s just makes us worse.

Not too mention there’s no way we use a pick in the 50’s this year either

We’ve got 3 f/s ngas who are either rookies or late bids. We need to get 1 or 2 picks well before those bids will come.

For me it’s either

Soldo for Barnett - west coast get a ruck for right now they need and we get another young developing ruck behind vis

Soldo for decent second round pick ie 25- 35

Keep soldo.

I’m not sure if the first 2 options are possible.. but I’d not then we should do option 3.

Getting rid of soldo for cheap after we paid so much for him would just be doubling down on a bad decision.

I don't understand why you're assuming Soldo will be a third rounder.

Its a sellers market this trade season regarding Rucks. There are less of them available or looking for trades.
Soldo is looking for a trade back to Vic to be that number 1 ruck or simply not to be playing in the reserves.

If we were to trade him it would be minimum 2nd round pick and some considering he's contracted to us for multiple years and the fact we gave up a lot to get him in terms of draft picks.

Ideally yes you would love to keep him but if the market is HOT and the player wants to leave and you can get good returns back in terms of picks then we would be fools to not consider a trade considering he's 28 turning 29 in APRIL with a history of knee issues.

WAIT for picks coming back for SOLDO as well. Saints/Vic clubs look keen on him.
Getting something for Soldo would be fantastic in this draft.

He seems a pretty good dude so you want him to play even if it is for another team.

It would be good to package the likes of Soldo, Williams and Clurey with Houston to get a better draft hand or a good player back.

Hopefully the boys are working the phones hard.

Houston just said he is staying at port on 5AA take it as you may.

I’ll hold my excitement just yet, he may be tempering his expectations or just not wanting to say too much.

If we keep him great, losing him is a massive backwards step in terms of flag contention

I’ll hold my excitement just yet, he may be tempering his expectations or just not wanting to say too much.

If we keep him great, losing him is a massive backwards step in terms of flag contention
My thoughts are the same. He didn't err at all either. I will wait until trade period is over before believing anything.

To get Soldo, we gave away what would be the equivalent of pick 14 in the draft. I do not think we will get a first round draft pick for him, then we either get a couple of decent second round picks, or he stays.
We're not getting two decent second rounders for Ivan Soldo. Just because we split a first rounder to get him, doesn't mean that's what he's worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In todays day and age, nortmally contracted players are saying they are staying until their management team are 100% that a deal can be struck.

My Take
Dan doesnt seem to be unhappy at port at all, in fact he seems to love it here, but life changes everyone, so there may be opportunities for both club and player. The club seems to be of the opinion that if him moving on would mean we got something back that improves us as a club, that they could accomodate it - and I suspect if nothing comes up and he stays, then they may revisit his contract terms.
There are definitely trade outcomes that iprove us overall moving forward, even if there is an immediate loss. Hes 27, (28 early next season) so young enough to play another 4/5 years and to have good trade value, but old enough that if you think you can cover his role, getting in some high quality youngster(s) either in the draft or via beneficial trades may be the best strategic move.

Getting something for Soldo would be fantastic in this draft.

He seems a pretty good dude so you want him to play even if it is for another team.

It would be good to package the likes of Soldo, Williams and Clurey with Houston to get a better draft hand or a good player back.

Hopefully the boys are working the phones hard.
No one wanted Clury last year, if we trade him this year it's for peanuts (need to get his contract off our salary cap).
Where Soldo is worth a second rounder.

Going on last years trade stories no one can count on Kysaiah's commitment until he's signed on. Until then we should be chasing him down the rabbit burrow and out the other side.
His grew up in WA where his mum sent him to live in SA with her brother Byron as a teenager, to get in the footy system

Dan just requested a trade during an interview with Rowie.
I believe he was quoted as saying he can no longer in good conscience play in the same team as that thug Ryan Burton.

I'd be upset if Soldo leaves, but I understand why he wants out - if a reserves / fringe player wants better chances elsewhere you don't stop them.

Going on last years trade stories no one can count on Kysaiah's commitment until he's signed on. Until then we should be chasing him down the rabbit burrow and out the other side.

If he wants to get out, one scenario which may have occured, which seems to line up with all the info we have is:

His manager speaks to WA clubs to see if they are willing to trade for him as he has links there.
His manager speaks to Port as he has links there.

Ryan Daniels has sources in WA and his Freo source gives him intel that Kozzis reps spoke to Freo. This doesn't mean that his reps havent spoken to W/C, Port... or the Crows for that matter.

Theo Doropoulos who also works for seven runs with similar intel.

Note, Ryan Daniels does go on in a subsequent tweet to indicate W/C is also an option as is staying at Melb, but Freo is the preference, so at this point thats the most definitive tweet Ive seen from a media personality. Is this because Freo has draft capital.

Note 2, this does not discount Kosi's manager playing the game with Freo and Port at the same time saying they are his preference. .. I just dont see Peter Rhode as being that strong in his management style to play that game.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back