Resource List thread - Inaccuracy in official records

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone have an existing Ancestry account please?
I'm trying to locate a family member of Billy Wilson (RFC) who died young in 1967

Are there any active trees on Ancestry?
Cheers
1725095220299.png

There is a tree of an active user ( on site yesterday)

There is actually 21 trees but this seems most closest

GreyCrow , do you have the option of sending a message to the active user on my behalf, asking them to reach out to me (the Richmond Football Club Historian) on rhettrospective@gmail.com

Is that possible for you to do please?
Bill Wilson's wife was Merle Ruby Wilson (nee Neilson) who died in 2013 (the linked notice clearly names her as wife of the footballer!) - unfortunately none of the death notices I can find name the children, but from Ancestry trees he had three children
  1. William Phillip Wilson (1951-2005) - he had son
  2. Moana Teressa Wilson (married name was Lea, now seems to have returned to Wilson) - who is still alive and running businesses in Mount Gravatt area of Brisbane and has children - she must be around 65-70 by now and may be traceable
  3. Another son (can't find a name but was living)
Moana Lea-Wilson has a tree on Ancestry but in was created in 2007 and looks like it hasn't been updated in the last 10 years (her mother's death is the most recent event in the tree)

Bill Wilson's wife was Merle Ruby Wilson (nee Neilson) who died in 2013 (the linked notice clearly names her as wife of the footballer!) - unfortunately none of the death notices I can find name the children, but from Ancestry trees he had three children
  1. William Phillip Wilson (1951-2005) - he had son
  2. Moana Teressa Wilson (married name was Lea, now seems to have returned to Wilson) - who is still alive and running businesses in Mount Gravatt area of Brisbane and has children - she must be around 65-70 by now and may be traceable
  3. Another son (can't find a name but was living)
Moana Lea-Wilson has a tree on Ancestry but in was created in 2007 and looks like it hasn't been updated in the last 10 years (her mother's death is the most recent event in the tree)
Thank you. There is a postal address on one of those links so I may send a letter to it. I've also put a post in the Upper Mt Gravatt facebook group - so I assume somewhere there will know her.
As well, separate to that, GreyCrow has send a Ancestry DM to one of the tree owners. So hopefully one of those pay off. Many thanks to you both.

Wonder how many of these old-school misspellings are still floating around the league's records.

Lyall Anderson is almost certainly Lyle Anderson.

I don't think he's signing his name differently to how it's spelt!

images

Screenshot 2024-09-02 22.34.26.png

Lyle would be coming up 88 years of age soon. There's no evidence to suggest he isn't still with us. Unfortunately that Facebook post from Lyle's granddaughter can no longer be accessed.

Wonder how many of these old-school misspellings are still floating around the league's records.

Lyall Anderson is almost certainly Lyle Anderson.

I don't think he's signing his name differently to how it's spelt!

images

View attachment 2099211

Lyle would be coming up 88 years of age soon. There's no evidence to suggest he isn't still with us. Unfortunately that Facebook post from Lyle's granddaughter can no longer be accessed.
The papers nearly always have it as Lyle (even when he was playing cricket as a junior), so it's hard to see where Lyall came from! This is probably his marriage:
1725282839756.png
Could it be that Lyle Anderson Reserve at Highett is named after him?

This is how they had it quite a few years back on the AFL Historical Statistics site:
1725283432309.png
The Encyclopedia still has it as Lyall, and obviously Wikipedia and others do too, but it's quite likely the AFL changed it at some stage, and perhaps didn't let anyone know!

Last edited:
Behind correction 1992 R11 WB v Haw

All references have Hawthorn's Dean Anderson kicking 1 behind in this game and Anthony Condon none.

Per below vid, Condon kicks Hawthorn's 8th behind of the game. Anderson does not kick a behind in this game.

Summary -
1992 Rnd 11 WB v Haw - Anthony Condon plus 1 behind, Dean Anderson minus 1 behind.

Last edited:
Tom Mullens (Carlton, Footscray) has death of 9 August 1961 in online footy records (wiki, blueseum, af.com)

Death notices show date of death was 4 August 1961 and cemetery record shows burial was 8 August 1961 so 9th is clearly incorrect.

Summary: Death date for Tom Mullens is 4 August 1961 (rather than 9 August 1961)
Oliver G The Blueseum

Jack Kidd (Carlton, Essendon, Fitzroy) has death of 26 February 1960 in online footy records (wiki, blueseum, af.com)

Death notices show date of death was 26 March 1960 and cemetery record shows cremation was 29 March 1960 - looks like a simple month data entry error.

Summary: Death date for Jack Kidd is 26 March 1960 (rather than 26 Feb 1960)
Oliver G The Blueseum

A video of the last quarter of this 1957 Rd. 4 game (Collingwood vs. South Melbourne) has been posted elsewhere:

1726294704637.png
1726294727415.png
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1957/041619570511.html || https://australianfootball.com/game/view/5839

The game's records have two South players wearing the numbers 2 and 20. Appleyard is in fact wearing 42 (3 min 25 sec in), Goldsmith 2 (4 min 30 sec in), Taylor 20 (14 min 30 sec in) and Trethowan 26 (14 min 20 sec in).

Summary: Change South Melbourne's Percy Appleyard to #42 and John Trethowan to #26.
Oliver G *Paul*

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource List thread - Inaccuracy in official records

Remove this Banner Ad

Back