Lloyd to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with Crownie in the fact that he was treated awfully by Essendon this year and since the season has finished. Apparently he and Knights could hardly even talk by the end of the season the relationship had become that bad.
He should have played out of the goal square this season and probaly would have kicked 50-60 instead of the 35 he did kick.
Anyway congradulations on a fantastic career.

if there is a more classy, well spoken, emotional retirement press conference than that one, id love to see it.

Top Notch Lloydy:thumbsu: You've been a champion of the game and have gone out at the perfect time:thumbsu:

A Very Good footballer and an Essendon great. One of the last tradtional lead up full forwards and a genuine nice guy. Shame about the bad publicity he's ahead about his relationship with Knights, the Sewell hit, the diving/cheating etc. Doesn't deserve all that negativity and hopefully will be remembered as a modern day great

"he admitted that his controversial bump on Hawthorn midfielder Brad Sewell - which turned the game for the Bombers in their must-win round 22 clash, but resulted in a four-game suspension - was also a factor in his decision to retire".

What a coward.

"he admitted that his controversial bump on Hawthorn midfielder Brad Sewell - which turned the game for the Bombers in their must-win round 22 clash, but resulted in a four-game suspension - was also a factor in his decision to retire".

What a coward.

Coward's dont play as many games and achieve what he has at the highest level. If he had played for Carlton to you he would be a hero.
Meanwhile you'll just have to keep supporting that drunken infantile imbecile that plays at FF for you! Just imagine how good he would be if had Lloyds intelligence and poise.

coward? probably felt that missing the first 4 games of the season would put him behind the 8 ball. players that age need to be playing every week. i think it's a courageous decision.

absolute gun. was never quite the same after he broke his arm, and then tore the hammy of the bone, but from 1999-2004, there wasn't more reliable kick in the league.

even later on, when his body failed him, he was still a dead-eye dick. i think we will all look back on his career in a few years time and appreciate it a lot more than we do now.

One of the best forward's in the modern era along with the likes of Carey, Lockett and Ablett. Sad to see him go on what has been a tough few weeks for him.

Will always be remembered as a very good forward with a tarnished career

I've seen a few in this thread say something like that, but I'm left thinking "By who?" His career in the eyes of a Big Footy troll might be tarnished, but to the rest of us he'll be remembered as a champion player and one of the great forwards.

Quite shocked and upset by the news when I first heard it this morning, even though it was looking more likely than not he'd retire.

Absolute champion player. Easily the best FF since Lockett. Real shame his career was cut short by various injuries. In his prime you put him down for 4+ goals any day.

Early on in his career he would play from behind quite a bit and was just brilliant in one on ones. Super courageous in the air, never took his eye off the footy. Used to cop all hell from guys like Mick Martyn but never complained. Then in his prime he was unstoppable on the lead. After the injuries he had a bit of a renaissance last season to kick 60+ playing predominantly across half forward and nearly got that B&F that has eluded him.

I reckon he could have gone on another year but respect his decision. Been an absolute joy to follow his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice press conference by Lloyd. Not much of a fan on the park as he has smashed us so often.
What a champion of Essendon! Good luck to him.

I have a different theory on that. Sure the injury played a part but i reckon the biggest mistake he ever made was when he dcided to pack on the muscle. He was at his best when he was a lot smaller and concentrated on using his pace on the lead. He then made a decision to really baulk up one pre season and even went on record as saying that he did it because he wanted to match it in the one on one contests with the big defenders of the competiton. Im sorry, but this was not Matty Lloyd's game. He should have stuck to his strengths. From that time on i reckon he lost a fair bit of mobility and he seemed to be less inclined to get on the lead and would often find himself trying to initiate one on one contests. The injury also played a big part but i think it was a combination of both aspects.

Completely agree. If you watch 99-01 highlights, you'll be shocked how much smaller he was, and how much quicker. His leads were quicker than Fev's and his mobility and jump were amazing.

God I hope he doesn't enter the media, got a shocking voice for either TV or radio... eerily similar to this fellow

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

On radio tonight he said the speed of the game had caught up with his legs. There was some fishing from Russell/Healy about difference in opinions between he and Knights about where best to play, but like the class player he was he didn't get into that, other than he played where it was best for the team :thumbsu:

Completely agree. If you watch 99-01 highlights, you'll be shocked how much smaller he was, and how much quicker. His leads were quicker than Fev's and his mobility and jump were amazing.
People seem to forget this pretty easily.

He was quicker than Fev in my mind. Better kick, better mark, better leap, more consistent.

[youtube]kgbtKqLkBfg[/youtube]
Check out the lead, leap and sure-hands!

Yesterday was by far one of the hardest days I've had as an Essendon fan. But, the way he handled the press conferece and other media appearances (such as SEN this morning after getting on the juice last night - his own admission!) have made it feel much better.

Champion. Used far too regularly as a word by many, but, the perfect description of the best Full-Forward of the last 10 years.

Thank you Matty.

I've seen a few in this thread say something like that, but I'm left thinking "By who?" His career in the eyes of a Big Footy troll might be tarnished, but to the rest of us he'll be remembered as a champion player and one of the great forwards.

So you are the authority on what peoples perceptions are ????

Lloyd ..like it or not will be remembered for his staging for free kicks ..heck he even admitted he staged for frees .

The bloke has retired, and deserves plaudits for an amazing career..but that does not mean we have to forget the negatives in his career.

"I think it’s a stigma that’s stuck with me from a period when I did probably stage for free kicks. I accept that."
Mathew Lloyd .

So you are the authority on what peoples perceptions are ????

Lloyd ..like it or not will be remembered for his staging for free kicks ..heck he even admitted he staged for frees .

The bloke has retired, and deserves plaudits for an amazing career..but that does not mean we have to forget the negatives in his career.

"I think it’s a stigma that’s stuck with me from a period when I did probably stage for free kicks. I accept that."
Mathew Lloyd .

compared to the likes of Ablett & Carey, it's pretty small-fry really. They are still remembered as titans of the game, if a little flawed.

I'm entirely comfortable with the legacy of Matthew Lloyd, as I'm sure are 99.99% of the footballing community.

He will be regarded overwhelmingly as a champion of the game, no matter what is written on BigFooty

People seem to forget this pretty easily.

He was quicker than Fev in my mind. Better kick, better mark, better leap, more consistent.

[youtube]kgbtKqLkBfg[/youtube]
Check out the lead, leap and sure-hands!

He has been lot better than Fev and is Essendon's second greatest full forward ever. In fairness however in that clip he was playing on Ty Zantuk lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lloyd to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back