Local Geelong Leagues Thread (GFL/BFL/GDFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not talking about your comment in particular here, just about the spate of over-enthusiasm coming out of the Snake Pit. From experience, take it one step at a time and see what happens then. Have a look at the amount of quality that the Roosters picked up last year; Saunders, Riccardi, Faulkner, P Carson, D Carson; that and very well-coached. Came from a similar position to Lara and then missed out on finals. The recruitment of quality players doesn't just do it for you automatically. Players need to gel, new game plans put in place to accomodate those recruits and patience. Be confident of a change in fortunes.

yeah thats true i think the one thing that can be said is that south barwon are probablt going to be the ones to beat, they have managed to hold onto most of their premiership side from last year but losing nathan bromley from the midfield may hurt. any team can look good on paper at this time of the season but its once the action starts when things can really be found out.

How was i getting ahead of myself? All i said was they they are well equipped with smaller type players and need to recruit more talls if they want to be a finals contender? Not exactly flagging them to be premiers am i?

Lara for wspoon, Jelkovic in ruck looks like a big octopus playing arms and legs going every where.

What about practice matches this year? who's playing who and when? any good match ups. would like to see your premier gfl teams eg. south barwon, colac, bell park and newtown have a hit-out with a vfl two's team. Any thoughts?

to go one step further, and this maybe a silly question, but who do you think would win? gfl interleague or the cats two's.

any more news.

that sheep dogger bloke seemed pretty bias...a little to bias...eg. a recruit himself

lol well u wouldnt say a recruit, im just goin down to anglesea to play with me mates and hav a run round in the ressies....where bouts u playin this year? will i vs ya in any games this year or nah?

What about practice matches this year? who's playing who and when? any good match ups. would like to see your premier gfl teams eg. south barwon, colac, bell park and newtown have a hit-out with a vfl two's team. Any thoughts?

to go one step further, and this maybe a silly question, but who do you think would win? gfl interleague or the cats two's.
If the gfl had there very best side without injury you would think they would go close but the fitness level of the cats would be the major differance..

im finding it very interested looking over the transfers and whos going where and everything, and the couple of things that i have found most interested have been...

#1 south barwon have only got 3 players. reece woods - a very classy player who has returned. Taylor Hyland - an under 18 player who lacks commitment. Jeremy Sezun - who from what i hear will struggle to make there reserves.
i would have thought they would have gained more players than they lost. especially with the hole left from scott thompson and if ben boseley plays vfl. it might open up a weakness in their backline.

#2 the amount of players newtown have gained, for the loss of only 2 under 18's and humm, who has gone to the Wafl. I know the club has lost about 15 senior players from last year, but if these guys arn't getting clearances to other clubs, it leads me to believe they'll be returning after their trips overseas. therefore leaving a very strong squad of players.

who does everyone think has done the best out of the offseason tranfers?

im finding it very interested looking over the transfers and whos going where and everything, and the couple of things that i have found most interested have been...

#1 south barwon have only got 3 players. reece woods - a very classy player who has returned. Taylor Hyland - an under 18 player who lacks commitment. Jeremy Sezun - who from what i hear will struggle to make there reserves.
i would have thought they would have gained more players than they lost. especially with the hole left from scott thompson and if ben boseley plays vfl. it might open up a weakness in their backline.

#2 the amount of players newtown have gained, for the loss of only 2 under 18's and humm, who has gone to the Wafl. I know the club has lost about 15 senior players from last year, but if these guys arn't getting clearances to other clubs, it leads me to believe they'll be returning after their trips overseas. therefore leaving a very strong squad of players.

who does everyone think has done the best out of the offseason tranfers?

Dont forget Biddiscombe has retired too and Wallace has gone to Thomson.

There will be a few clearances from Newtown in the coming weeks. They have lost heaps, just haven't put clearances in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard that bfl side portarlington played gdfl side anakie in a prackie a week or so ago. thats bloody early for footy in local leagues...even before afl!! Anyone hear how it went? they are 2 powerhouse clubs!

I heard a whisper today that Newcomb Football Club is having a meeting on Monday to see if they can field two senior sides, things don't look to good for them, when they have had only up to 12 players at training and a lot of players have put in clearences, looks like they may FOLD.

I heard that bfl side portarlington played gdfl side anakie in a prackie a week or so ago. thats bloody early for footy in local leagues...even before afl!! Anyone hear how it went? they are 2 powerhouse clubs!

that is a little strange! i heard port won which is good considering they are a powerhouse club. heard a whisper modda is up for a big year with their new coach. pre season has mostly consisted of players doin a bit of running until he is rooted and players gettin the feel for the pill. in their hands, then in their mouth.

I heard a whisper today that Newcomb Football Club is having a meeting on Monday to see if they can field two senior sides, things don't look to good for them, when they have had only up to 12 players at training and a lot of players have put in clearences, looks like they may FOLD.
Only a matter of time when you try and buy a premiership (with success) after just about folding the first time around. Re-building a club from the ground up is the key, not buying up big on players who hang around until the money drys up as a short term fix.

Only a matter of time when you try and buy a premiership (with success) after just about folding the first time around. Re-building a club from the ground up is the key, not buying up big on players who hang around until the money drys up as a short term fix.
No I think a lot of the trouble is administration, they have people running the club that have little football skills.

yeah i was told the same thing about Newcomb about the whole numbers situation. I was told they had no more than 5 senior players at training. i guess it shows what happens when the money dries up. having next to no juniors also can hurt a club. when i played juniors against them they were a force in the u/18s. what happened to all those players?

yeah i was told the same thing about Newcomb about the whole numbers situation. I was told they had no more than 5 senior players at training. i guess it shows what happens when the money dries up. having next to no juniors also can hurt a club. when i played juniors against them they were a force in the u/18s. what happened to all those players?

Like I said before people that run the club have NO IDEA HOW do run a football club, there is plenty of money out there for sponsorship but you have to support and look after your sponsors and thats one thing Newcomb did not do, those players went to better run football clubs.

can anyone tell me why clubs reject clearances. surely if a player moves to a different club he doesnt want to be at the club he is at so why try and keep him there? a bit stupid if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back