Recommitted Logan McDonald [signs 4 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

geez sorry i didnt realise he was still that young.
he looks 27-28 and it feels like he has been around for ages
His field kicking is also very good. Currently 4th at the Swans for score involvements with only the 3 main mids ahead of him. Ranked 29th overall in the comp ahead of guys like Walker, Cameron, Greene and Stringer.

Thought he would sign by the bye like Hayward just did

Now less money to spread around
Is there?

How do you know what was available to be paid, then what Hayward has accepted, and the fact that that amounts to less for Macdonald?

You have no idea (or do I) of what the contract amounts to.

Is there?

How do you know what was available to be paid, then what Hayward has accepted, and the fact that that amounts to less for Macdonald?

You have no idea (or do I) of what the contract amounts to.
Simply stating Hayward signing = less cap space then there was before as he wouldn’t have signed for less than what he was getting a few years ago

So less to spread around to out of contract players

Simply stating Hayward signing = less cap space then there was before as he wouldn’t have signed for less than what he was getting a few years ago

So less to spread around to out of contract players
Not that simple, Salary Cap is Increasing over the next 4 years (see below), so MORE money to spread around OOC players.

YearTPP (Salary Cap)Increase in $
202315,022,778-

That's before you start to account for Retirements (such as Sam Reid at the end of this year surely, Luke Parker OOC at end of 2025).

I'll leave it to the Club to balance the players payments and priorities.

Not that simple, Salary Cap is Increasing over the next 4 years (see below), so MORE money to spread around OOC players.

YearTPP (Salary Cap)Increase in $
202315,022,778-

That's before you start to account for Retirements (such as Sam Reid at the end of this year surely, Luke Parker OOC at end of 2025).

I'll leave it to the Club to balance the players payments and priorities.

We're going to have a fair bit of cash coming off our cap in 2025.
Thankfully, Collingwood are paying 300k a year to Grundy's contract until it expires in 2027 making him easy to manage.

Out of contract in 2025
Luke Parker - re-signed in 2021 at the age of 28
Jake Lloyd - re-signed in 2022 at the age of 29
The Lloyd and Parker extensions took a while as both wanted more money and time than what we were originally offering and we had to pay up as they were in their prime and teams were chasing them.
Dane Rampe - re-signed in 2023 at age 32
Peter Ladhams - signed in 2021 on good money when we traded for him when we thought he would be Hickey's successor.

We've also got Robbie Fox, Harry Cunningham, and Sam Reid coming out of contract this year. Fox and Cunningham might extend on not much. Reid will likely retire.

The main ones to extend in 2025 are Warner, Campbell, and Melican. Considering Gulden has said they've all spoken about taking unders to stick together, I feel pretty good about keeping the main core. Though it wouldn't surprise me if McDonald leaves for a pay day when he reaches Free Agency.

I suspect we'll lose Sheldrick this year or next due to lack of opportunity and because we have Cleary coming through. Sheldrick will probably be very gettable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All key players have signed mate with there clubs

Who you thinking?
We like to grab top talent for a bargain of late.
Paddy McCartin. Looked great early but he finished in a bad way. We took that risk & lost.

Grundy, who is being paid by Melbourne as well. Cost us nothing for great talent. Still going & looking good thus far.

For a few months now I’ve been watching how Bailey Smith has been going at the Dogs.
A clear talent with some baggage now, as well as the knee trouble.
It’s the type of value trade we may look to make with Parker & even Adams perhaps finishing at the end of 2025.

Just a Hail Mary guess from me Punts.
He also has his social media following which would go absolutely nuts if he came to Sydney.
Just speculation by me as usual.

We like to grab top talent for a bargain of late.
Paddy McCartin. Looked great early but he finished in a bad way. We took that risk & lost.

Grundy, who is being paid by Melbourne as well. Cost us nothing for great talent. Still going & looking good thus far.

For a few months now I’ve been watching how Bailey Smith has been going at the Dogs.
A clear talent with some baggage now, as well as the knee trouble.
It’s the type of value trade we may look to make with Parker & even Adams perhaps finishing at the end of 2025.

Just a Hail Mary guess from me Punts.
He also has his social media following which would go absolutely nuts if he came to Sydney.
Just speculation by me as usual.
But there would not be any “value” in trading for Bailey Smith. He’s not a free agent and still a young player, widely accepted to have a strong future by most clubs in the industry. Bulldogs would ask for a top 5 pick, and that may be a touch overs but as the guys on Tradies podcast said - he’s probably worth pick 8-10.

Geelong and Hawthorn to name but two clubs would hand over a top 10 pick in the morning for Smith.

Grundy and Mccartin were basically on the scrapheap by comparison.

Hawks and Pies coming with late bids...

Imagine getting an extra $200k per year to hardly ever leave Victoria and have blockbuster games all the time at the home of football. And to think how good he could become in a good team...surely it would be a no brainer. McDonald would be like Buddy compared to Frampton and Cox.

Imagine getting an extra $200k per year to hardly ever leave Victoria and have blockbuster games all the time at the home of football. And to think how good he could become in a good team...surely it would be a no brainer. McDonald would be like Buddy compared to Frampton and Cox.

A good team like Sydney?

Or stop imagining and just realise that his manager is using the Pies (and Hawks) to squeeze every last $$ out of the Swannies. We get linked to every player during trade talks...its just media manager BS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Logan McDonald [signs 4 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back