London 2012 - Opening Ceremony

Remove this Banner Ad

For country with so much history they were very politically correct by glossing over their history,... was that it? Ashamed, very careful and racially aware, which in the end really sums up their demise as well, hhhmmm not sure about it all.

Well they couldn't really highlight their proud military history, like when they invaded and took over other countries in the name of the British empire or when they defeated Germany in two World Wars as that's not really in the spirit of the Olympics which is all about bringing countries together in peace and harmony.

Nailed the British comedy, and the music was Epic.

Yeah the comedy and music were the best parts about it and is what the Poms are most known for.

Well they couldn't really highlight their proud military history, like when they invaded and took over other countries in the name of the British empire or when they defeated Germany in 2 World Wars as that's not really in the spirit of the Olympics which is all about bringing countries together in peace and harmony.

And it's not like Australia did a skit showing the enslaving of aboriginals for the Sydney games, nor China staging executions of students for Beijing.

It's only natural countries are going to gloss over their histories.

Well they couldn't really highlight their proud military history, like when they invaded and took over other countries in the name of the British empire or when they defeated Germany in two World Wars as that's not really in the spirit of the Olympics which is all about bringing countries together in peace and harmony.

Yeah the comedy and music were the best parts about it and is what the Poms are most known for.
Agreed. OC lacked a soul, which 2000 had in spades as far as heritage, and they call us souless.

The cauldron lighting was different- the BOC did say shortly after they got the games that they would emphasize the youth of Britain, and they did do a very good job of that through the entire ceremony. No, it doesn't match recent ceremonies, but it fit Britain fairly well.

Early odds on 2016- Pele to light the cauldron in the shape of a football?

Good Olympic ceremony. Started off really slow got better as it went. Best bit was the boy girl hookup and British history of tv music thing.

Loved the bit with 'Forever blowing bubbles', was touched by that to be honest.

I'm a bitter cynical man and a republican but I thought it was brilliant, the OC of an Olympics always gets me.

BRB, moving from Luxembourg to Paraguay. What event is she in......NEED TICKETS!!!!

The girl in the first row of the Paraguay team. Wow!

Yeah she was gorgeous.

Leryn Franco in the javelin is my guess.

Usain Bolt is such a boss. When is the 100m final?

Got to be her as Parguay is only sending 8 athletes. The TV cameras missed her Beijing but the photographers didn't. I was kind of hanging out to see her but I feel asleep after Colombia and woke up when Zambia marched in. Did Eddie say anything about Franco?

Did Bolt steal the show. I wanted to see him ham it up. :(

Is jacque rougge that much of an idiot. He just said olympic games welcome back home. I thought the home of the Games is Greece. Also thank god for Mr Bean. this ceremony doesnt even come close to sydney 2000

Ay2RFroCYAAM12P.jpg:large

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just over 70,000 people at an Olympic Games opening ceremony?

Trust Great Britain to fail at stadium building.

It's an 80,000 seat stadium. Either the commentators don't know their facts or they kept a whole lot of seats free because of the way the opening ceremony was set up. Sydney "lost" about 7,000 seats for the opening ceremony because the way the stage was set up and the water fall cauldron.

80,000 seat stadium is a pretty standard Olympic stadium and does the job nicely. London already have Wembley with a 90,000 seat capacity and Twickenham 84,000. They didn't need to spend another $200milAUD for another 20,000 seats that are going to be pulled down within a couple of years of the Olympics, depending on what Football Club wins the rights to buy/lease the stadium and if they will delay taking seats because London late last year won the right to host the 2017 World Athletics Championships.

Ms Leryn Franco will be launching the Javelin from 10am or 11.25am London time - depending on which qualifying group she is in - on Tuesday 7th August

Radiohead, Gorillaz, and ANY of my favourite English acts could have done the anthem :p

BUT knowing England and English culture, they would hate to live with that ridicule of doing THAT song (ie Nikki Webster)

Who here felt gypped that 6 young athletes lit the cauldron rather than just 1 face?

I didn't watch it all but thought it was pretty good. Nothing that was terrible, nothing that really stood out either. Could have been a lot worse.

Not sure what the Queen thought of the Artic Monkeys!

Most of the team outfits were pretty good - only a handful failed really. Germany, what were you thinking?

Was the Queen on her period or something? Did not look happy to be there at all, especially when she was picking at her fingers as Great Britain entered.

My highlight by far was Mr Bean during chariots of fire. British comedy at it's finest. :D Like others, was disappointed that it was a number of people lighting the flame instead of just one individual.

The bookies must have been laughing their heads off when they saw all those junior athletes lighting the flame.

I thought it was a very good if not spectacular opening ceremony. Very british in pretty much every aspect. People oriented, quirky, with a brilliant soundtrack. Voldemort and Captain Hook and the like being attacked by a Mary Poppins army, Mr Bean, Bond and the Queen etc were great. The industrial revolution tearing up the countryside was well done too I thought. Big fan of Kenneth Branagh.

Ms Leryn Franco will be launching the Javelin from 10am or 11.25am London time - depending on which qualifying group she is in - on Tuesday 7th August
man dem swinging mammeries must add a crapload of momentum to her throws.

Remove this Banner Ad

London 2012 - Opening Ceremony

Remove this Banner Ad

Back