Long Live King Charles

Does King Charles make you more likley to support the republican movement?

• Yes

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 49.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Noel would be a great pick - better than all the others I mentioned. But I suspect that he'd have buckleys of getting up and a third of the country would be up in arms if he did.

Of course there's plenty of good candidates but I don't trust the public or the pollies to pick them.
I would not vote for him, ever.
A lot I know feel the same in the Cape.....
Grrrrrr.

Last edited:
Could you please explain why? Is it due to race, or another reason?

What are your thoughts on the current system where the PM picks the Governor General?
Yes re race. Disgusting but true. Some of it (small amount) will be blatant racism and some will be conservative churchgoers and others who are the closet racists (per the USA - "blue lives matter/don't take a knee" sort of racists). And some won't like him for other reasons.

I'm a massive Noel supporter. Thought his speech at Gough's funeral was one of the great speeches in Aust History.

If we become a republic it depends a lot on the system as to who gets the job but we've seen in the USA that a large percentage of people (if the people have a say) will vote for all sorts of despicable characters. And the pollies will select whomever is owed a favour or can grant them "benefits".

I'm not a huge fan of the GG - especially the current one who was obviously beholden to Scomo. But I'm not a huge fan of a republic either because the current system isn't too broken (with the current GG perhaps being the distasteful exception).

Depressing. Perhaps we need to nominate our own Monarch who has absolute power. Grace Tame the First?

Instead of abandoning the monarchy entirely. We should start a complete separate line of Australian Royalty.

I nominate myself to the first absolute ruler. I'll abdicate my rule in some years time.

Instead of abandoning the monarchy entirely. We should start a complete separate line of Australian Royalty.

I nominate myself to the first absolute ruler. I'll abdicate my rule in some years time.

A key feature of royal families is marriage to cousins.
So the Australian Royal Family has to start with someone from Tassy, doesn't it?

So the Australian Royal Family has start with someone from Tassy, doesn't it?
Co opt back Princess Mary and her kids.

If we're going to become a republic and have a president, we need to ensure we get a day off to mourn in event of their death. That's imperative for my support.

I think Noel would be a great pick - better than all the others I mentioned. But I suspect that he'd have buckleys of getting up and a third of the country would be up in arms if he did.

Of course there's plenty of good candidates but I don't trust the public or the pollies to pick them.
How’s this for an idiotic idea?

Just put the candidates in a cage and let them fight to the death.

The winner is declared King/Queen of Australia, their first born will inherit the position for eternity, and their family and friends will have the right to half the best land in the country.

The rest of us will bow and scrape to their superiority for ever.

Absurd I know. Just a thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Long Live" is such a weird thing to me. Dude's 73. Based upon my research of watching people damn closely out of the corner of my eye, once you're in your 70's, that's when people stop lamenting "too young" at your funeral. He's already lived long. Sure, as a rich person of privilege, he has access to the best medical care, but reality is, he still probably ships off in a maximum of 20-30 years. That's despite being "chosen by God".

I'm in the camp of thinking monarchies - all monarchies - are dumb in the modern world. Got them on the same tier as theocracies. Which is not the same as saying they're the worst form of government for the modern world.

When Australia becomes a republic - and I think that is a when, whether I live to see it or not a different thing - it is entirely possible that a form of government will be imagined up that in time proves to be worse than what we have today. But we've still got to have a go.

Maybe we keep the Westminster system and have the ceremonial head of state drawn like jury duty. Go off to Canberra for a month, live in the flash house with the chef, brandish the rubber stamp before coming back home to give someone else a go. Maybe you need to do a cert IV to qualify?

Technically - if the head of state is drawn by random lot, you could still make the "chosen by god" argument.

I dunno.

Long live the King?

How’s this for an idiotic idea?

Just put the candidates in a cage and let them fight to the death.

The winner is declared King/Queen of Australia, their first born will inherit the position for eternity, and their family and friends will have the right to half the best land in the country.

The rest of us will bow and scrape to their superiority for ever.

Absurd I know. Just a thought.
And, at any point, an Australian citizen can challenge the sitting king or queen - provided they are above the age of 18 - in combat to create their own dynasty.

Thinking Reaction GIF by Originals

And, at any point, an Australian citizen can challenge the sitting king or queen - provided they are above the age of 18 - in combat to create their own dynasty.

Thinking Reaction GIF by Originals
Yep. One catch though - they all have to be of the same religious denomination.

Of course, if they don't like the rules of that particular church they can just create a new one - and have the right to destroy all the places of worship of the previous religion and kill all their priests.

Yep. One catch though - they all have to be of the same religious denomination.

Of course, if they don't like the rules of that particular church they can just create a new one - and have the right to destroy all the places of worship of the previous religion and kill all their priests.
I look forward to the Australian Hyperborean Age!

So the Australian Royal Family has to start with someone from Tassy, doesn't it?

I'm willing to have sex with tasmanian women. or tasmanian men.

or people from any of Australia's states, territories or offshore asylums.

Vain Elamaa Smile GIF by NelonenMedia