Streaming Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power - Amazon Lord of the Rings prequel due early September 2022

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked parts of the first season but over time the after taste has soured. It was an awful awful show. I'll continue to watch to see how badly they can **** up the biggest gift horse they've ever seen... but it won't be out of excitement.

Surely there was some sort of bet between Bob Iger and Bezos on who could launder the most money through awful TV shows.

S1 has been released on binge/fix

Just started watching it, three episodes in, it's alright but story doesn't flow and the pace is choppy.

I'm not engrossed and read the mobile while watching.
Yeah, that was the general sentiment I think. It looks absolutely incredible, but the actual story doesn't quite live up to that at this point. It definitely gets more into a groove as the season goes on, but it really needs to step up quite a bit in Season 2 if they want to get it to being appointment television (which it really should be with that budget).

Ok Ive finished series 1 casually paying attention.

Positives
Gorgeous scenes and high quality CGI, no expense spared creating the environment.

Negatives
Story is choppy and no flow, trying too hard to have multiple characters story arcs to follow and intertwine them.

Character casting fails, everyone who is interested in RoP has seen the LotR trilogy multiple times.
1) Galadriel, blond hair was good enough? let's ignore Kate Blanchett is 5 inches taller and slender frame.
2) Isildur, oh long hair close enough? Let's ignore the rugged features and add eastern European appearance with the young actor.
3) Elrond, let's ignore Hugo Weavings straight jet black hair.
Only one they got right was was Gandalf, but you can't change character appearance drastically from the movie and not kill the immersion of the LotR faithful.

Diversity washing, I understand Tolkien wasn't diverse in character creation and the show is fantasy so they can do what they want!
But switching major features from parents to children and ask the audience to accept it kills the immersion.
Example Miriel and her father Palantir, if they want to cast that bloodline with African appearance no issue but cast her bed ridden father with African descent also.

Positives
Gorgeous scenes and high quality CGI, no expense spared creating the environment.

Negatives
Story is choppy and no flow, trying too hard to have multiple characters story arcs to follow and intertwine them.

Character casting fails, everyone who is interested in RoP has seen the LotR trilogy multiple times.
1) Galadriel, blond hair was good enough? let's ignore Kate Blanchett is 5 inches taller and slender frame.
2) Isildur, oh long hair close enough? Let's ignore the rugged features and add eastern European appearance with the young actor.
Only one they got right was was Gandalf, but you can't change character appearance drastically from the movie and not kill the immersion of the LotR faithful.

Diversity washing, I understand Tolkien wasn't diverse in character creation and the show is fantasy so they can do what they want!
But switching major features from parents to children and ask the audience to accept it kills the immersion.
Example Miriel and her father Palantir, if they want to cast that bloodline with African appearance no issue but cast her bed ridden father with African descent also.
Pretty frivolous negatives. Who cares they don’t look same as actors in LOTR. And maybe Miriel’s mother was darker but who cares ..irrelevant

1 more sleep.

tumblr_lmapufILMd1qa9jn1o1_500.gif

Positives

Negatives

Yes it makes no sense, they are simultaneously trying to say "race doesn't matter" Miriel and Palantir are related and you're supposed to ignore the fact that they don't look related because they're different races - as if you are supposed to look through the race of the actor playing the charachter, but then simultaneously saying "race does matter" because we intentionally cast an incredibly diverse cast, despite LotR not being diverse in its description (at least for the characters in this show).

I've said it before but it's the complete opposite to the House of the Dragon approach where they cast the diverse cast but made it make sense in universe by casting actors of the same race and appearance for those that are supposed to look the same and be related.

Pretty frivolous negatives. Who cares they don’t look same as actors in LOTR. And maybe Miriel’s mother was darker but who cares ..irrelevant
Yeah world building is irrelevant, that's why all the best fantasy and sci-fi shows have notoriously bland and uninteresting world building /s

S1 has been released on binge/fix

Just started watching it, three episodes in, it's alright but story doesn't flow and the pace is choppy.

I'm not engrossed and read the mobile while watching.
Finished it the other night ( review in other thread)

I liked it apart from 1 or 2 grumbles - enough to watch season 2

I thought some of the language as spoken was a bit over the top and I had issues with Galadriel

As someone not invested in the franchise and 20 years between this and the movie I didnt have any spoilers in my head to worry about

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Season 2 is at 85% on Rotten Tomatoes. Perhaps hold fire on the negativity until you’ve actually seen it.

Rotten Tomatoes is paid for garbage.

Half way through ep 2. Absolute slog as it's boring as ****.

It looks like the first three episodes have been released. Unless I'm told that the show has dramatically improved since S1 I'm not going to watch it. I kept watching The Acolyte because it was so bad it was funny but this show is bad and also boring.

The IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes scores might be inflated because only people who liked S1 will tune in. Only 37% who started watching S1 finished it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Streaming Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power - Amazon Lord of the Rings prequel due early September 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back