Toast Luke Beveridge (Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Drink)

Remove this Banner Ad

To debut 40 players in a year and not be bottom four on the
ladder is amazing. To target the middle tier of our list as the
area to derive the most improvement is amazing. To have the
courage and conviction to drop established players to the
seconds and then to leave out Tom Boyd (the great white hope)
is amazing. Luke Beveridge and all the coaches deserve immense
credit for the smiles we all wear every Monday when we look at
the ladder and reflect on a horrible off season.

Now with the ying comes the yang, i did the game on the weekend
and after much analysis and head scratching i wrote down one
word SUSTAINABILITY.

I actually like his press conferences because I think he comes across as genuine and doesn't bullshit around. That stuff about mathematical certainties was probably a bit much but he knew what the media were trying to goad him into and he didn't want to increase the mental pressure on his young list, so I thought it was actually quite smart to put the focus on himself in a way rather than the players. Just let them play and the results will take care of themselves.
His pressers aren't that bad, it's his media appearances that provides the most cringeworthy awkwardness I've ever witnessed. The Footy Show interview was beautiful.

His pressers aren't that bad, it's his media appearances that provides the most cringeworthy awkwardness I've ever witnessed. The Footy Show interview was beautiful.
Yeh I get what you mean, he can appear awkward, like the whooo referred to earlier in the message to the members, but I still love it. I think he is just genuine.

just watched Luke on footy classified.. top bloke down to earth no crap... looks like one of the best pick ups for you guys. still shocked at the transformation this year.

plus loved how Luke handled that flog purple, who just had to try and make it controversial asking and asking about libbas issues... Luke quietly shut him right up, twice!

A fine drop to wet your whistle, should you happen to suffer from a moistureless whistle. Can also be used to toast Premiership wins. Just hope our man's middle name isn't "Warm".

3vEkh1.jpg

just watched Luke on footy classified.. top bloke down to earth no crap... looks like one of the best pick ups for you guys. still shocked at the transformation this year.

plus loved how Luke handled that flog purple, who just had to try and make it controversial asking and asking about libbas issues... Luke quietly shut him right up, twice!
A massive kudos to your side for allowing us to have him after being contracted to you guys. And even more kudos for not being flogs about it and asking for compensation, a la Collingflogs and Eade.

Even though it has caused a lot on angst on BF, I love the way Bevo has managed an emerging young group of talented professional footballers, mixed with a handful of grizzled veterans with his team selections each week. (Something Ross Lyon and Brad Scott could learn).

Bevo has done it perfectly - we have been resting players when they have needed it since our trip to Launceston in round 3, and have kept our team fresh by using virtually every player on the list. That way the core of the team has remained stable, and we don't need the radical resting of players being considered by the Dockers and North Melbourne.

Yet another reason why the inspired choice of Luke Beveridge as head coach may be the most significant event in the history of the Footscray/Western Bulldogs Football Club.

Even though it has caused a lot on angst on BF, I love the way Bevo has managed an emerging young group of talented professional footballers, mixed with a handful of grizzled veterans with his team selections each week. (Something Ross Lyon and Brad Scott could learn).

Bevo has done it perfectly - we have been resting players when they have needed it since our trip to Launceston in round 3, and have kept our team fresh by using virtually every player on the list. That way the core of the team has remained stable, and we don't need the radical resting of players being considered by the Dockers and North Melbourne.

Yet another reason why the inspired choice of Luke Beveridge as head coach may be the most significant event in the history of the Footscray/Western Bulldogs Football Club.
This is standard practice in major soccer leagues but we expect AFL players to come out and play at 100% of their capability every week of the year. Bev may be a little ahead of the trend here.

Also the "radical resting" may be disruptive to the form of the team and some of the individuals if you leave it to the last round, so a carefully planned schedule of player breaks should be better.

You do need good quality depth to do it though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To debut 40 players in a year and not be bottom four on the
ladder is amazing. To target the middle tier of our list as the
area to derive the most improvement is amazing. To have the
courage and conviction to drop established players to the
seconds and then to leave out Tom Boyd (the great white hope)
is amazing. Luke Beveridge and all the coaches deserve immense
credit for the smiles we all wear every Monday when we look at
the ladder and reflect on a horrible off season.

Now with the ying comes the yang, i did the game on the weekend
and after much analysis and head scratching i wrote down one
word SUSTAINABILITY.

We've only debuted 7 (depending on your definition) but we have had 46 players with at least one game in the AFL team so far this year which is very impressive. The only three guys not to play are Libba, Fuller and Hamilton.

We've only debuted 7 (depending on your definition) but we have had 46 players with at least one game in the AFL team so far this year which is very impressive. The only three guys not to play are Libba, Fuller and Hamilton.
8 debutants?

Prudden
Cordy
Hamling
Daniel
Dale
Webb
Smith
McLean

With Biggs and Boyd playing their first game for the club and Pearce first game for 3(?) years.

8 debutants?

Prudden
Cordy
Hamling
Daniel
Dale
Webb
Smith
McLean

With Biggs and Boyd playing their first game for the club and Pearce first game for 3(?) years.
Ahh, missed the rookie listers. So that adds Smith to the debutants and Goods and Pearce to the guys who have played at least one. That also adds Kelly to the guys who haven't had a game this season.

Use would have been a better word Toastman fair call, i was using round
one as the debut of the new team just poorly phrased. As in Beveridges
team debut as coach was round one.:oops:

I have seen great paintings in history with warriors being blessed by a priest before battle that had that same atmosphere about it, they draw you in becasue they are alive and partly because you wish to be there. and the longer you gaze the more detail you see

- look at the grip on the back of the drinks shirt Wallis has.
- the grip on the front of Macrae's shirt by picken is it?
- Or Boyd holding whoevers hand that is far left?

Beautiful photo, beautifully timed.

I have seen great paintings in history with warriors being blessed by a priest before battle that had that same atmosphere about it, they draw you in becasue they are alive and partly because you wish to be there. and the longer you gaze the more detail you see

- look at the grip on the back of the drinks shirt Wallis has.
- the grip on the front of Macrae's shirt by picken is it?
- Or Boyd holding whoevers hand that is far left?

Beautiful photo, beautifully timed.
Which game, I wonder? That's Darley on the left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Luke Beveridge (Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Drink)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back