Toast Luke Hodge - 300 games in the Number 15. Brilliant player and a 'good bloke'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks Hodgey.

What a true champion of our club and the game! Like so many have stated already, words cannot express gratitude.

So many highlights to choose from but one that stands out for me right at the moment (finals aside) is that game against the dogs back in 2007 where he kicked 6 goals from memory. Completely turned that game in our favour.

Enjoy retirement, well deserved! :thumbsu:

2017-07-10-18-01-08-.jpg

Congratulatios on your 300th Hodgy. Such a wonderful player. Dished it out and took it for the Hawtorn Football Club.
Seems logical that Sam going to WC to be an Assistant Coach next year or the following year that Luke will become an Assistant Coach at Hawthorn next year or at a time of his choosing, after all he has been an onfield coach for many years. There is no doubt we wouldn't have four premierships without his onfield leadership and Clarko would be the 1st to acknowledge that.

Sad day, but right call.
One of our greatest ever players, an absolute general, a leader like few others.
Lifted in big games, only two other players have won two norm smiths, but he could have won another in 2015 as well.
Goes out on his own terms, as he should.
Hodgey, love ya, will miss ya

Hodge debuted on 27 April 2002.
One month later, on the 24th May, Johnny Cash had written and released a song about Hodgey.

"The Man Comes Around" as written by and John R Cash....

"And I heard, as it were, the noise of thunder
One of the four beasts saying,
'Come and see.' and I saw, and behold a white horse"

There's a man goin' 'round takin' names
And he decides who to free and who to blame
Everybody won't be treated all the same
There'll be a golden ladder reachin' down
When the man comes around

The hairs on your arm will stand up
At the terror in each sip and in each sup
Will you partake of that last offered cup
Or disappear into the potter's ground?

Hear the trumpets hear the pipers
One hundred million angels singin'
Multitudes are marchin' to the big kettledrum
Voices callin', voices cryin'
Some are born and some are dyin'
It's alpha and omega's kingdom come
And the whirlwind is in the thorn tree
The virgins are all trimming their wicks
The whirlwind is in the thorn tree
It's hard for thee to kick against the pricks

Till armageddon no shalam, no shalom
Then the father hen will call his chickens home
The wise man will bow down before the throne
And at his feet they'll cast their golden crowns

Whoever is unjust let him be unjust still
Whoever is righteous let him be righteous still
Whoever is filthy let him be filthy still
Listen to the words long written down

Hear the trumpets hear the pipers
One hundred million angels singin'
Multitudes are marchin' to the big kettledrum
Voices callin', voices cryin'
Some are born and some are dyin'
It's alpha and omega's kingdom come
And the whirlwind is in the thorn tree
The virgins are all trimming their wicks
The whirlwind is in the thorn trees
It's hard for thee to kick against the pricks
In measured hundredweight and penny pound

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked, and behold a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with him"

Saw the great Johnny Cash in person, way back in 1957 or 58. Unfortunately, didn't get to see the great Luke Hodge once, in person, but got so much enjoyment from watching him live from a distance.

Absolutely mammoth career. I've never heard his voice like that either.

Saturday is going to be huge. Everyone get down there to cheer the team on. And should we lose then still stick around to cheer him off.

And boy do I feel sorry for anyone who gets between him and the ball from now until the end of the season. He's not going to leave anything out on the field in any of these remaining games.

This is what could possibly sneak us a finals birth, as this will motivate every Hawthorn player. Not only will thy want to win it for Hodgey, they will want to do it his way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what could possibly sneak us a finals birth, as this will motivate every Hawthorn player. Not only will thy want to win it for Hodgey, they will want to do it his way.
Too bigger task. However, it would largely make my season if we could topple the Cats and Swans again in the coming weeks.

Jeez, I've been sitting on this since yesterday and I can't think of the perfect way to write about the man.

He came to the Hawks when I was 5, so ever since I can remember it was really all about Hodgey and how he was leading the team. There's been so many memories and it's just so hard to imagine watching Hawthorn play without him.

I could honestly just go on all day, but for me it was great to be able to witness him play in a Grand Final live, and that goal was one of the best I've seen. I was directly opposite where he kicked and it bent back a crazy amount.

No disrespect to Mitch and Lew but I just feel like Luke is at another level. To win four flags, 2 norms and captaining a three peat is as good as it gets and you can't really even dream of that.

Thanks for the amazing amount of happiness and joy you've given me Hodgey. I'll never forget that intercept goal in the 14 Granny when I looked at the scoreboard and thought, nope we're not gonna lose this.

Thanks so much mate.

Jeez, I've been sitting on this since yesterday and I can't think of the perfect way to write about the man.

He came to the Hawks when I was 5, so ever since I can remember it was really all about Hodgey and how he was leading the team. There's been so many memories and it's just so hard to imagine watching Hawthorn play without him.

I could honestly just go on all day, but for me it was great to be able to witness him play in a Grand Final live, and that goal was one of the best I've seen. I was directly opposite where he kicked and it bent back a crazy amount.

No disrespect to Mitch and Lew but I just feel like Luke is at another level. To win four flags, 2 norms and captaining a three peat is as good as it gets and you can't really even dream of that.

Thanks for the amazing amount of happiness and joy you've given me Hodgey. I'll never forget that intercept goal in the 14 Granny when I looked at the scoreboard and thought, nope we're not gonna lose this.

Thanks so much mate.

When I was 5 it was Graham Arthur.

Think it was Fred Flintstone in Thaihawk's era :)

Thanks so much mate.
I was 11, so I've actually taken in most of his career, imagine how I feel :(

I've worn the Number 15 on my back with pride since the early 2000s. Before that it was 17, Tucky. Loved everything about Hodgey since his debut. I'll never forget, amongst a truckload of highlights, a 40m handball though the centre of Etihad against Essendon, maybe 6-7 seasons ago? Phenomenal. I caught the great man's eye as he entered the Hawks Nest Shop at Waverely one day when I was in there browsing. "G'day mate," Hodgey said. "Hi mate," I mumbled, feeling like a little kid as my hero passed by.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back