Toast Luke Hodge - 300 games in the Number 15. Brilliant player and a 'good bloke'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why Hodgey why ??????
unnamed (5).gif
But in all seriousness so proud to have had such a great warrior and leader at the club, you will be missed Hodge. Also glad these rumours of him playing elsewhere are crap.

Why Hodgey why ??????
View attachment 390973
But in all seriousness so proud to have had such a great warrior and leader at the club, you will be missed Hodge. Also glad these rumours of him playing elsewhere are crap.
Loved the way he dissed the rumours"Apprently I'm off to Geelong next year" can't wait to see him back at the club as an assistant coach in the next couple of years.

Why Hodgey why ??????
View attachment 390973

Exactly how I feel. Even though I posted I am ok with it, that was the rational me, the Hawthorn me is :'(

I began reading the main board thread on this and was so disgusted by several comments I won't be reading any more. Just a reminder of how many genuine campaigners post on Big Footy.

As I've posted before, my three all time favourite Hawks are Peter Hudson, Peter Knights, and Luke Hodge. I was hoping Hodgey may have gone on for another season, but I am sure, this decision was made in the best interests of the club, and that the decision was an amicable one. It's hard to imagine the Hawks without Hodge.

I remember when we drafted Luke all those years ago, I made the comment he was precisely what we needed at Hawthorn. While the likes of Ball and Judd were running around in 3rd or 4th midfielder roles, Hodgey was already being asked to play a leadership role in defence. For the next few years, we had to endure typical Big Footy bullshit about how we should have picked Judd instead. As usual, this forum claimed we made a mistake. As usual, they were wrong.

I have continued to make comment that by the time Hodge's career has ended, he will be regarded one of the greatest Hawks ever. I think I have proven to be correct. There's no way of ever proving this, but I honestly believe had we drafted Judd instead, we'd still be looking for our first flag since 1991. That's how highly I rate Luke's contribution to our great club.

As they say in the classics, time stands still for no man, and we must now prepare for football without the lustre of his greatness. Clarko says in an advertisement on TV he'd like to thank the junior coach who taught Luke Hodge how to coach on the field. I'd just like to thank Luke for being Luke.

You never know. Come 2025, the club may just strike a medal for the man who most encapsulated the spirit of Hawthorn over the past 100 years. If they do, I would expect Hodgey to be highly regarded in that award.

congratulations to Hodgey on an amazing career. With my wife being a hawks supporter I have attended many of your games and to be able to watch him as a neutral observer has been wonderful.

i actually think a lot of outsiders underrate his leadership and the direction he gives on the field. he was always the general of your backline, just love the way he goes about it!

No doubt you will all enjoy and celebrate the final weeks of his career.

will make a brilliant coach one day.

I know they can have Hodges for our draft picks back. We will need to restrain Clarke from doing something stupid again.

Of course after we get our picks back, Hodgey will suffer a mysterious illness and be unable to xoach

This is probably the most emotional I've been about footy since Dunstall retired. :'(

Yep remember wanting him (Dunstall) to go around again (for selfish reasons because the slide without him was coming hard).

Happy that Hodge is ready to go on his own terms. The guy has nothing left to prove.

Hopefully he gets to enjoy his last few games, a few more wins and stay injury free.

Thanks for the great memories Hodgey.

Will jump on the rowing machine and chuck the 2nd quarter of the 2013 GF against Sydney on when I get home for motivation. He ripped them open that quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Hodgey, what a leader of the club. Three time premiership captain, 300 games, 2 x Norm Smith Medalist and on and on it goes

I remember a very early game of his at the MCG. He got the ball at half back, and sank his left foot into it. It seemed to travel at light speed not more than 10 feet off the ground - it just went and went. The crowd reacted with the same sort of sound usually heard when a CHF launches a torpedo at the goals from inside the centre square.

His toughness in the line in the sand game also stood out - hello James Hird.

Absolutely mammoth career. I've never heard his voice like that either.

Saturday is going to be huge. Everyone get down there to cheer the team on. And should we lose then still stick around to cheer him off.

And boy do I feel sorry for anyone who gets between him and the ball from now until the end of the season. He's not going to leave anything out on the field in any of these remaining games.

I began reading the main board thread on this and was so disgusted by several comments I won't be reading any more. Just a reminder of how many genuine campaigners post on Big Footy.

Page 2 was horrible, but it seemed to get better after that.

Ignore the idiots, the majority will be able to provide a begrudging respect for the greatest leader of the last....well for as long as I've followed footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Luke Hodge - 300 games in the Number 15. Brilliant player and a 'good bloke'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back