frankc

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2006
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Whenever someone finds out I barrack for Hawthorn, one of the things they always make mention of is how we must regret not picking up Chris Judd in the 2001 draft (as we all know, Luke Hodge went number 1 and Judd no. 3).

I have not been to many Footy matches over the past few years due to work commitments (however I have maintained my membership and these constant comments got me thinking as to how Hodge rates next to Judd - so I did a little research.

Over the past couple of years, Judd and Hodge's comparative numbers are as follows (with Hodge listed first and all stats as per game averages);

Goals: 0.35 to 0.95
Kicks: 15.3 to 14.2
Handballs: 10.1 to 9.6
Possessions: 25.4 to 23.8
Marks: 4.7 to 3.0
Tackles 3.5 to 4.1
Rebounds for defensive 50: 5.2 to 1.7
Disposals into forward 50: 3.9 to 4.8
Clearances 5.6 to 5.0

Probably the two significant differences are that Judd kicks more goals, while Hodge has higher defensive 50 rebounds. Interestingly however Hodge is not that far behind in his disposals into the forward 50.

Also with the few games I have seen, Hodge's kicking and handball skills are on a par with Judd - however I stand corrected on this one as I haven't seen many games.

I think the major difference is that Hodge seems to play more across the half-back line while Judd is on the ball - the numbers seem to support this, i.e. hodge has more rebound 50s, Judd more tackles (being on the ball) and Hodge more marks (i.e. finds more space on the half-back line).

While Judd is obviously a great player, I think Hodge is only fractionally, if anything, behind Judd. Mabye the main reason why Judd gets so much media attention is those dazziling bursts from packs.

Also as I understand it, Hodge has been carrying an injury throughout the season.

I'm not trying to deningrate Judd, all I'm saying is that Hodge is also a terrific player and Hawthorn made the right call in 2001 - he has not disappointed us.

I feel also that Hodge should be made captain of Hawthorn - what do other people think?

I also think Hawthorn made the right call in appointing Clarkson as coach - in not having a reputation to maintain, Clarkson had no hesitation cleaning out the playing list and going more the best young talent available, his foresight have no put us in a position where we can look forward to the next few years with confidence that the mighty Hawks will be challening deep into September - Just look at Carlton and some of the choices Pagan's made trying for a quick fix.

Lastly, Hawthorn's appointment of Jeff Kennett was a masterstroke - whatever people think of him as a politican - he gets the job done - the sponsorship the Hawks have secured for the next five years is outstanding and Kennett's ability at closing the deal is the main reason for that.

Our playing list has great, our coach is great and we have also secured ourselves financially - hopefully these are the ingrediants to a premiership in the not too distant future.

the major defference between Hodge and Judd is that Judd is a little flambouyant (with the explosive bursts) while Hodge just gets the job done. This is taking absolutely nothing away from Judd , he is a star , but so too is Hodge. Hodge is 'the general' at Hawthorn , a natural leader and will have just as good , if not better , career than Judd.

Couldnt agree more with your AC / JK points.

We are set for a brilliant future

Both are great players but with quite different qualities.

I am more than happy with our decision to draft Luke.

We needed an on-field leader who could instil some toughness into the team and got that with Luke.

As far as durability goes time will tell whether Luke has that over Judd as well.

Stats mean nothing in this instance. Respective impact on games is more important. And I don't think anyone would argue that Hodgey's has been as strong as Judd's. But then again, has anyone's in the last coupla years?? POSSIBLY Goodesy, but really no-one else.
I think we can still count on hodgey to become a consistently dominating force in the next few years....

I don't regret not drafting Judd. As a matter of fact I'm glad we didn't. At the time of the draft we needed a Hodge type of player. Judd went into the West Coast team and was allowed to play his own game. Hodge was being asked to fill a number of roles contrary to his natural style, and his early career was injury affected, allowing Judd to settle in much earlier.

Had Judd been a Hawk he still would not have won a Brownlow, nor would he have played in a premiership team. He's good, but he's over-rated. Playing in the Eagles team is a lot easier role for Judd than if he had to carry the Hawks like Hodge has had to do. I know it's hard for non-Hawthorn people to understand this, but Hodge always was, and always will be the preferred option for our club.

Roddy said:
Stats mean nothing in this instance. Respective impact on games is more important. And I don't think anyone would argue that Hodgey's has been as strong as Judd's. But then again, has anyone's in the last coupla years?? POSSIBLY Goodesy, but really no-one else.
I think we can still count on hodgey to become a consistently dominating force in the next few years....

While stats should not be relied upon, they do provide a means to compare two players and attempt to understand where they are different. Solely from a numbers perspective, Hodge is right up there.

From the impact perspective its generally a matter of opinion. How does one define impact? Is it is based on number of goals scored, possesions acquired or is it based on the intangible of being able to lift team mates?

From what I've seen of Luke Hodge, he is a class act. His overall skills are first rate and the way he can hit long distance target without them breaking stride is what has really impressed me.

Sure he doesn't make the dazziling runs that Judd does, but from what I've seen he has good evasive skills and also does the one-percenters.

Anyway, I'm glad we've got Luke Hodge and maintain that he's not that far behind Judd.

What is special about Judd is he can, at break neck speed, pick up the ball with one hand, as cleanly as possible and has great clean disposal either by hand or by foot....He is good in all other parts of his game but thats what makes him a special player...

Parts of Hodges game are better than Judds, but Judd is the superior player.

In our team structure though, Hodge suits us very well, allready having a fantastic clearance player in Mitchell compensates quite a bit. No regrets on Hodge, leave Freo and even StKilda to regret.

The eagles have said with pick 1 they wouldve taken hodge, its a non issue really im just happy to have hodge instead of ball and they are all unique in their qualities like speed,agression,leadership

Great post frankc. :thumbsu:

I 2 join others in agreeing 100% about your thoughts on AC & JK.

The LH/CJ debate will always go on but Im so happy we got our Luke.

I dont think I would be so happy if we got the other Luke though.

The stats in relation to possessions may be a little slanted as Hodge was playing off HBF last season, and sometimes this season.

No doubt both great players, will be interesting to see how Hodge handles the tag next season as at times he went missing this season.

Hodge isn't and never will be as good as judd who is the best midfielder i have even seen.

I think judd is as good as he will ever be and can't really see him improving much (if it is possible to get any better than he already is) but i don't think we have seen the best of hodge yet but doubt he will ever be as good.

Having said that though i think hodge is an excellent player who i look forward to watching over the next 8-10 years in the brown and gold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Typical Judd game yesterday - was he under instruction to not hit targets.

Hodge would be a lot better thought of if we had such as chick saving the day still at hawthorn.

For mins Judd has had 2 very average grand finals, there would be 100 midfielders who have played better grand finals

Pessimistic said:
Typical Judd game yesterday - was he under instruction to not hit targets.

Hodge would be a lot better thought of if we had such as chick saving the day still at hawthorn.

For mins Judd has had 2 very average grand finals, there would be 100 midfielders who have played better grand finals

You're right, for all his explosiveness, his kicking does let him down a little, although, running at the speed he does its no wonder - in any case all the Hawks can do is make sure our players work as a team, as no one player will win a premiership - at the end of the day I that concerns me is who we have on our list.

This is the one thing I admire about Sydney - for all West Coasts razzle dazzle, the Swans almost pulled off a second consecutive grand final upset.

However, on the other hand the eagles are to be commended, they dug deep when it looked like the swans had the momentum.

Roddy said:
I know this will sound sadistic, but you know what I'd like to see? Hodgey run through Judd and knock him out cold!!!!

Or Hodgey sell Judd the dummy, sprint past leaving Judd in his wake, handball and provide a shepherd to Mitchell who kicks the ball to the square, resulting in a goal. Oh wait!

I really look forward to seeing more physicality directed toward their silky skirt midfield - I don't mean dirty tactics, just reminders that everytime they choose to go near the pill, they might get hurt. Sydney have a great defensive midfield of gentlemen who apply tackling pressure and can stifle any side on it's day but they only have one intimidating player willing to fly the flag when required - Hall. There is no way this WC midfield would have got away with a soft GF vs Brisbane 2003.
It has been refreshing to watch our mob take it to them at times over the years - highlights include the semi "all-in" at Tas and Franklin's hit on Cousins earlier this year. This stirred them up.
Even watching McVeigh get into Cousins face was interesting - Cousins didn't want to/didn't know how to respond and was relatively ineffective for the game.
Has anyone ever seen Judd, Stenglein, Kerr, Jones, etc etc get into a decent scrap? I'm tipping they'd run a mile.

Put an injury free Luke Hodge in a top 4 side with easily the best midfield quartet, and Judd in a struggling side and then compare them.

The time will come soon when Hodge will be in a side where he is not the be all and end all of the team, when that time comes he will shine.

kolchak said:
What is special about Judd is he can, at break neck speed, pick up the ball with one hand, as cleanly as possible and has great clean disposal either by hand or by foot....He is good in all other parts of his game but thats what makes him a special player...

Utter rubbish, stop regurgitating the same overworked media hype!

His handball skills are nothing to write home about and he's just as likely to miss a target as hit one by foot.

There are numerous midfielders in the game who are much better ball users than Judd.

Judd is very adept at getting the pill, can run very fast with it, and has a very acute goal sense when inside 50 (probably because the goal posts never move).

He is no great shakes in the air, however, particularly with contested marks; has little defensive side; and has little to offer outside of the midfield.

Adelaide Hawk said:
I don't regret not drafting Judd. As a matter of fact I'm glad we didn't. At the time of the draft we needed a Hodge type of player. Judd went into the West Coast team and was allowed to play his own game. Hodge was being asked to fill a number of roles contrary to his natural style, and his early career was injury affected, allowing Judd to settle in much earlier.

Had Judd been a Hawk he still would not have won a Brownlow, nor would he have played in a premiership team. He's good, but he's over-rated. Playing in the Eagles team is a lot easier role for Judd than if he had to carry the Hawks like Hodge has had to do. I know it's hard for non-Hawthorn people to understand this, but Hodge always was, and always will be the preferred option for our club.

I don't know, AH.

I think he'd still run fast and look good whilst doing so with us, therefore he'd still be as overhyped and softly marked.

The biggest plus about having Hodge instead of Judd (discounting the former's stronger skill set and greater positional diversity) is that we get a lot more bang for our buck. The exorbitant price tag that Judd carries is not only markedly out of whack with his actual output, but also limiting in a squad sense under the salary cap system.

Given what Hodge brings us at less than half the price, and allowing for his increased output as the side around him improves, I'm more than happy with the decision.

I am, however, worried by the continuing tendency of the coaching panel to play him through injuries. It seems that everyone gets rested when hurt at Hawthorn except Hodge.

CyberKev said:
Utter rubbish, stop regurgitating the same overworked media hype!

Its not rubbish, this is my opinion. I said he has clean displosal!!! He moves fluently and does everything in almost one motion. I said all other parts of his game are good, not the best ever or the best in the competition, read my post properly please!!!! before u start saying its rubbish!!!! UR response is rubbish!!!

Adelaide Hawk said:

agree 100%

when hodge did get a role in the midfield in 2005 he out-did judd by getting a *****-load of 30-plus poss games and was the clearance king, which made people backtrack on their judd/hodge argument, this yr he has taken the glenn archer role of half back general and midfielder which judd could never do, hodge is better imo because he can play in many roles and have an input and tackles hard as well as get into bigger players...............

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Hodge, Clarkson and Kennett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back