Player Watch Luke Pedlar

Will Luke Pedlar be in at the first centre bounce of the 2024 season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's worth listening to the History Locker podcast that the club produces (and in particular the episode with Blighty).

Covers those blokes at great length. Says Jarman was disciplinary related and that McGuinness was the one he sweated over the longest and probably could have gone another year.
Jarman got dropped in 1996 then there was a late out and he got called up. Refused to play. Said he'd been dropped and told he needed to work on x, y and z. Petulantly said he'd rather work on the things he'd been told in the SANFL rather than get a charity call up.

If memory serves, the player who ended up coming in was Andrew McLeod...

Blight got a whiff of that and said no thanks.

And on topic... what I most liked about Pedlar's debut was that he didn't fumble. Also that he did things quickly yet was looking to be creative and find a team mate. There was no hint of panic. Even when he copped a terrible handball and was under the pump he just shrugged it off and released the footy.

Might turn out to be a master stroke by Hamish trading down still getting McAsey who we wanted as a Talia replacement overlooking the likes of midfielders Dylan Stephens, Caleb Serong and Sam Flanders but through that trade also securing Luke Pedlar who I believe shapes as the best mid we've drafted since Patrick Dangerfield, Rory Sloane and Brad Crouch? Still securing mid Harry Schoenberg who shapes as a 200+ gamer and a quality mid with a point of difference.

Come at me Hamish naysayers... :p

Last edited:

Jarman got dropped in 1996 then there was a late out and he got called up. Refused to play. Said he'd been dropped and told he needed to work on x, y and z. Petulantly said he'd rather work on the things he'd been told in the SANFL rather than get a charity call up.

If memory serves, the player who ended up coming in was Andrew McLeod...

Blight got a whiff of that and said no thanks.

And on topic... what I most liked about Pedlar's debut was that he didn't fumble. Also that he did things quickly yet was looking to be creative and find a team mate. There was no hint of panic. Even when he copped a terrible handball and was under the pump he just shrugged it off and released the footy.
Similar to Berry, great call

I think McDermotts 1995 was like Sloanes 2021. Showing obvious signs of decreasing impact. McDermotts 1996 was deplorable. Couldnt stay on the park, and when he played out games was having 10-12 touches. A shadow of his early 90s impact. He was 32 or 33 at retirement and the time was right whether he chose to retire or Blight pushed him.

Andrew Jarmans situation was a little different. Playing weight of 91kg at just 177cm, he was an unfit fatty who could no longer run out games in the midfield so was moved forward. Probably could have played on another year but Blight made a tough call

McGuinness was 32 and his output was dropping off too, Blight made a good call there.

We also traded in and out a bunch of rubbish (although I liked Stanfield) and Brett James was handy.

I think the list is due for another similar clean out this season with Lynch, MacKay, Talia, Crouch, Frampton/Berg, Davis, OConner all outs. Its a huge amount of experience, but I think its obvious who the club wants to keep with the contracts that have been announced already.
I'd argue Sloane was much worse last year. Has had some poor games this year but also some good ones. Last year he was a non entity.

What was said?

It was along the lines of there not being contracts available for everyone. Vague but as Talia has not heard he assumed he was one of those. Fine line between refreshing the list but valuing the contributions of players getting into that older age bracket and showing some respect by letting them know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was along the lines of there not being contracts available for everyone. Vague but as Talia has not heard he assumed he was one of those. Fine line between refreshing the list but valuing the contributions of players getting into that older age bracket and showing some respect by letting them know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where did talia speak?

Might turn out to be a master stroke by Hamish trading down still getting McAsey who we wanted as a Talia replacement overlooking the likes of midfielders Dylan Stephens, Caleb Serong and Sam Flanders but through that trade also securing Luke Pedlar who I believe shapes as the best mid we've drafted since Patrick Dangerfield, Rory Sloane and Brad Crouch? Still securing mid Harry Schoenberg who shapes as a 200+ gamer and a quality mid with a point of difference. :p

He looked Berry good

What was said?
Basically said they can't offer him a contract for next year if he can't get on the park this year. This was a month or so ago when Talia was saying every time he runs his tendon flairs up again.

It's a logical position to take, but not one Roo needs to make public.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might turn out to be a master stroke by Hamish trading down still getting McAsey who we wanted as a Talia replacement overlooking the likes of midfielders Dylan Stephens, Caleb Serong and Sam Flanders but through that trade also securing Luke Pedlar who I believe shapes as the best mid we've drafted since Patrick Dangerfield, Rory Sloane and Brad Crouch? Still securing mid Harry Schoenberg who shapes as a 200+ gamer and a quality mid with a point of difference.

If he put that trade into GWS head then he is a mega genius, if not, he is a genius by drafting Pedlar who was a "surprise" choice but very smart.

Hamish doesn't make trades, but also wasn't Serong drafted after McAsey?

Hamish doesn't make trades, but also wasn't Serong drafted after McAsey?
Your point being?

We traded with GWS who took Lachie Ash with our original pick so originally we could have taken any of Lachie Ash, Dylan Stephens, Caleb Serong, Sam Flanders or even Hayden Young with that pick but then not had access to Luke Pedlar in 2020

Doesn't sound unreasonable given his age and this injury lingering on and on with no timeline for an outcome.
Of course it's reasonable, but a senior club official shouldn't be talking about it in the media.

Especially when the player in question is a much loved club stalwart.

It's idiotic on Roo's part.

Of course it's reasonable, but a senior club official shouldn't be talking about it in the media.

Especially when the player in question is a much loved club stalwart.

It's idiotic on Roo's part.
Listening to Talia's intervies with Kymbo and Rooch my take was that's exactly Talia's take on his discussions with list management and I'm pretty sure Justin Reid would be the one at the table for those discussions so Talia wouldn't have been hearing something that he wasn't already well aware of.

if talia’s foot doesnt come good by seasons end then it would be ludicrous to re-sign him and even daniel himself would be utterly stupid to think that they should.

if he cant come good they should give him a coaching role starting at sanfl level.. looks like thats what he’s already been doing this year anyway. hell, give him the head coaching role for the sanfl side... really, he couldnt be any worse than the absolute muppet thats currently occupying that role..

Your point being?

We traded with GWS who took Lachie Ash with our original pick so originally we could have taken any of Lachie Ash, Dylan Stephens, Caleb Serong, Sam Flanders or even Hayden Young with that pick but then not had access to Luke Pedlar in 2020

The point ought be obvious, even to you: bragging about overlooking Serong to get Pedlar is nonsensical when we could have had both.

Airballing the McAsey pick is not made better by Pedlar.

Listening to Talia's intervies with Kymbo and Rooch my take was that's exactly Talia's take on his discussions with list management and I'm pretty sure Justin Reid would be the one at the table for those discussions so Talia wouldn't have been hearing something that he wasn't already well aware of.
Oh, I'm sure of that. I still don't think it belongs in the public domain.

- OK Talia may have gone public, but still...

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Luke Pedlar

Back