Roast Luke Thompson

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think it was the correct move to give him one last chance, given the information we had at the time, Rutten's retirement and Hartigan's injury, but he has not looked like he's improved anywhere near enough to make it. I think we can very comfortably delist the guy. No chance a trade will come up. He's still too light/weak over the ball in the air, and he still panics with the ball, or even when he needs to win a loose-ball.

I don't think the matchup argument is great. LT can't take tall or strong key forwards either. If he can't spoil or keep up with a resting mid, who can he stop?

Agree with every word. Saved me from typing. Remember him being out marked by Rioli in the PF? Now a resting mid smashes him.

That's the trouble with our line up.

Jaensch, Smith, Henderson would have all been disasters as well.

We don't have any good medium size defenders.

I always thought LT was meant to be quick and agile? Havent seen it tho. If he wants an AFL career then he had better be that 'medium' sized defender we need, as he cant handle the big blokes. If he can't win his spot as 'third tall' taking medium bigs and medium smalls then there is no reason to keep him.

He will be on our list next year I think due to Ottos injury.

Both he and Lewis Johnston are not the answer in defence after today, neither have the intensity to succeed at AFL level, Hartigan and Jake Kelly are the 2 we will be keeping I hope. Siggins is increasingly looking unlikely to shape up either, not bulking up and getting beaten to easily by SANFL level forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Name a softer one. Laird is our hardest defender and he doesn't play there anymore.
we had an extremely disappointing narrow loss to the kangaroos who are a damn good side. Saying that doesn't mean I'm happy with the result. I am bitterly disappointed but do not believe for a second we have the softest defence in the league.

Thompson, shaw, hartigan - all shit....

Hartigan worth persisting with IMO.

LT has not improved since 2012 - still way too soft and hesitant and clearly lacks core strength when he can get brushed aside by midfielders. He's been given an extended audition and failed. Time to move on.

Shaw unfortunately could have been a great player but injuries prevented him from ever getting any continuity.

I think we just need to roll the dice and get rid of these guys who repeatedly look way below standard despite being in the system for 5+ years I'm talking about LT, LJ, Graham, Shaw, Mckernen.
Rutten is gone as well and Otten is out for another year.

I want us to really bolster and transform our defense. I hope we can:
- draft Lever with our first pick
- get Goldsack via FA
- trade for a another tall defender with a lower pick ie Michael Talia. The latter might not be the answer long term but we lack depth in this are and i think he's slightly better than Thompson & Shaw. Plus the added bonus of Daniel wanting to hang around. Win/win.

But we can't keep holding on to these guys. Get rid of them all and start again.

That would give us Talia, Hartigan, Goldsack as our starting 3 next year, with Lever, Michael Talia, Siggins in reserve and Otten the following year.

Woeful performance. Delist on that effort just insipid didn't get close to spoiling any contest. Matchup was fine those are the guys he is suited to stand.

The one GOOD thing about actually playing him is that we now know and can make a proper list management decision. We can move forward. If we'd continued to just shuffle players like we usually do we wouldn't.

The one GOOD thing about actually playing him is that we now know and can make a proper list management decision. We can move forward. If we'd continued to just shuffle players like we usually do we wouldn't.
:p .....kidding right ?

We knew before ......the club knew before .....that's why he has played so few games over 2 years

But you wanted to see a Ziebell performance .........well you got it, we lost the game and probably finals ......but hey we gave him a go .....just WOW

Woeful performance. Delist on that effort just insipid didn't get close to spoiling any contest. Matchup was fine those are the guys he is suited to stand.
so it took 3 years to come to that conclusion .......this is a general comment, not aimed at you, but don't people actually watch players play ???

It was f....g obvious in 2011 ........he was on the list ONLY as an insurance policy

Graham = L.Thompson

Hartigan worth persisting with IMO.

LT has not improved since 2012 - still way too soft and hesitant and clearly lacks core strength when he can get brushed aside by midfielders. He's been given an extended audition and failed. Time to move on.

Shaw unfortunately could have been a great player but injuries prevented him from ever getting any continuity.

Hartigan is worth perservering with .......he's a very good mark, has reasonable pace for a big guy

What he lacks is quickness of thought, and poor core strength ......the latter can be fixed, the former improved with experience

IMO was a good draft selection .......we'd be truly stuffed now without him

unfair roast, clearly not up to it but its not like everyone can be good enough to be an AFL player.

not his fault he's still on the list and was the last man standing at selection.

:p .....kidding right ?

We knew before ......the club knew before .....that's why he has played so few games over 2 years

But you wanted to see a Ziebell performance .........well you got it, we lost the game and probably finals ......but hey we gave him a go .....just WOW

Not kidding.
You're right tho, he had played so few games there had to be question marks over his future. But there were a few good games.
But now he has had 5 games to impress. To be what we need. To be the guy who can blanket a Ziebell (as latest example). I probably had him in the one more year group.. but after these 5 weeks , being poor in all of them. Its good to know for sure.
And he really only got a go due to injury and us having no other options. (Except Siggins)

Just nothing.

Thompson has been 4th or 5th in the queue for a long time. Attrition has seen him get a handful of games over the journey. Could he eventually be a No 3 at AFL level? We didn't know. Plenty of very mediocre talents can survive in that role effectively. Spangher just got another contract at Hawthorn. You can skimp on No 3 defenders, as it's the easiest position on the ground to fill.

If the club KNEW he wouldn't have got games ahead of Shaw, Hartigan, Rutten this season.

You finally got one call right and the trumpet blowing symphony is deafening!

Both he and Lewis Johnston are not the answer in defence after today, neither have the intensity to succeed at AFL level, Hartigan and Jake Kelly are the 2 we will be keeping I hope. Siggins is increasingly looking unlikely to shape up either, not bulking up and getting beaten to easily by SANFL level forwards.
Harsh ....at #60 Siggins was always a project player, and two years doesn't = project player

3rd PS and i'd expect to to see where he is in latter part of next season

How many years of Shit football did Bock play before he started to show something .....four years at least

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Luke Thompson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back