Luke Toia Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah congratulations guys...
Real mature.
Lets turn the tables...lets say Buckley suffered a career ending injury and I came on spurting wise cracks.
How would the pies supporters take it?
Or how about Crawford?

Look he may not have had the skill of those players but as far as committement and trying your guts out he was up their with those players.
Gave it all and had terrible luck with injuries.

All of you grow a heart :mad:

Originally posted by sabre_ac
Look he may not have had the skill of those players but as far as committement and trying your guts out he was up their with those players.
Gave it all and had terrible luck with injuries.

All of you grow a heart :mad:

Sounds similar to Daniel Metropolis...

Who cares if Toia retires, since he broke his neck a couple of years back he has had gone feral.

Over the last couple of weeks a player has been reported for striking Toia. Most of them from retaliation.

This thread should be on regional site as well.

Originally posted by Dry Rot
I'm just staggered Suzi didn't announce this.

Maybe they have a "strained" relationship these days? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Dry Rot
I'm just staggered Suzi didn't announce this.

yeh shes probably keeping it under wraps like all the other scandals she claims to have known about for ages yet never informs us until after we already know...

He still has one year to run on his contract! Chewing up large amounts of salary cap space at the Dockers for at least one more year :D I bet Suzi can tell us more though, like how much he is earning...

He was an awesome player for our team. Still remember that devestating neck injury...and like few have said, it's a shame that quits were called as young as he is.

When you have serious injury like Luke did with a broken neck, it means that he couldn't get over all the other injuries that he had.

He didn't get a senior game at Fremantle and he retired which is sad for all of us.

To those heartless ppl who like to write ppl off. Get a life because you are full of insults and it is not really that nice.

As for what he is earning, Sera, I can't tell you because it is confidential.

Retiring Toia pays tribute to Freo
9:21:28 PM Tue 2 September, 2003
Mic Cullen
afl.com.au

In many ways, it was a vintage Luke Toia performance - partly serious and concentrating on the job at hand, but a lot of it cheeky and irreverent.

The nuggety utility announced his impending retirement on the eve of Fremantle’s first-ever finals campaign, saying he was doing it because he wanted to wish them well whole-heartedly.

Toia broke his neck in 2001 in the WAFL when his legs were taken out from under him while flying for a mark, and he said he felt like he was jinxed to a certain degree, but also very fortunate.

“In some ways, yes, but … I was unlucky but very lucky, and that’s how I’ve looked at it for the last two years – things could have been a lot worse,” he said on Tuesday before training.

“I’ve had nine years – I’ve been at a club that’s … I got here when I was 16 years of age - I thought I knew everything, but quickly found out from Gerard (Neesham, Fremantle’s first coach) that I didn’t – I was here from a 16 year old, and the club shaped me as a person, both with football and how I played football, and how I’ll enter my new career after football.

“I was saying to Chris (Connolly) today that I was just sitting in the stands hoping they’d lose – it was just a **** attitude, and I was at the stage where I had to reply on poor form and injury.”

“I see Troy Cook – and I’m really, really upset for Cookie – possibly the hardest player I’ve ever played with, against or seen – and the poor bloke misses out on the finals.”

“He put his heart and soul into pre-season and the club since he’s got here, and it’s … I didn’t want to reply on that, I didn’t want players to have to go through that for me to step up and get a game.”

“I want to go to the footy and I want to support the Fremantle Footy Club – I don’t want to have to not barrack for them. That’s why Friday, I just feel that we need everything going for us… I just think it’s a great time for the club, and I’m really excited about the next part of it.”

Toia, who played 63 games for the club, said he would be seeing a neurologist next week in relation to complications with his neck injury, but praised the work of club doctor Ken Withers and especially the efforts of the reclusive but brilliant club physiotherapist Jeff Boyle.

“Jeff Boyle and Ken Withers have been exceptional, especially Jeff – Jeff deserves a lot of credit for what he’s done in this place over a long period of time.”

“He’s a great personality, a great bloke and there’s a lot of players here that owe a lot of their career to the medical staff.”

Connolly said Toia wouldn’t be given a send-off this week at Friday night’s final because he was still a listed player and could still play if the club was struck with injuries.

Originally posted by taff wa
Who cares if Toia retires, since he broke his neck a couple of years back he has had gone feral.

Over the last couple of weeks a player has been reported for striking Toia. Most of them from retaliation.

This thread should be on regional site as well.
taff wa,

More than anything it is the ppl who want to fight Luke that start it off.

He is at least a better player than what you would ever be. You just don't get it.

If Matthew Lloyd got a broken neck and had some problems with that injury, I bet that you would be angry.

I know that I would be angry if an idiot deliberately came on here and ruins a thread.

you will find that Luke Toia is a bigfooty member.

Good luck in the future, Lukey! I got to admit, it bought a tear to my eye, seeing his press conference, been one of my favourites since the start, his determination to come back after so many awful injuries. Was good to see him at his last training session at Freo Oval yesterday afternoon, with such a massive crowd behind him.

To you guys that find it funny hes retired, grow up....its pathetic, so what if he didnt have the best footy career you have seen, he put his heart and soul in for this club, and his body wasnt up for it!

Good to hear he will still be playing for Subiaco.

:)

Was good late 90's but haven't seen him since, don't really care that much seem his been out of it, just like Jason Snell and Bowen Lockwood I guess.

Originally posted by freo_fan
Good luck in the future, Lukey! I got to admit, it bought a tear to my eye, seeing his press conference, been one of my favourites since the start, his determination to come back after so many awful injuries. Was good to see him at his last training session at Freo Oval yesterday afternoon, with such a massive crowd behind him.

To you guys that find it funny hes retired, grow up....its pathetic, so what if he didnt have the best footy career you have seen, he put his heart and soul in for this club, and his body wasnt up for it!

Good to hear he will still be playing for Subiaco.

:)
Well said freo_fan.

I follow Subiaco because of Luke playing footy with the lions.

GO SUBI.....

To the losers who are bagging Luke, just be careful because he might see you in the stands and give it to you one day. It will come as a rude shock but gee whizz you deserve every bit of it.:mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Toia Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back