Magpies Cloke Fear

Remove this Banner Ad

Zahki

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looks like the club is eager to sign Cloke back up before the GC can snatch him away.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/magpies-cloke-fear/story-e6frf9jf-1225832609049

COLLINGWOOD may face a nervous wait in its bid to thwart Gold Coast's recruiting raid on star key forward Travis Cloke.

The Magpies are keen to start preliminary talks with Cloke's management, but appear unlikely to be able to match a lucrative offer from the Gold Coast.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/magpies-cloke-fear/story-e6frf9jf-1225832609049

You never really know what goes on inside the club, but the impression I get is that Cloke is happy playing at Collingwood. I think they'd probably need to offer a big, big contract to lure him away. It'd be disappointing to see Cloke go, so I hope he sticks with Collingwood.

Gee, I guess Caro wasn't just making rubbish up...

Anyone want to acknowledge that they completely overreacted when the first article came out about this last week?

Looks like the club is eager to sign Cloke back up before the GC can snatch him away.
This is not news because there is no doubt that Gold Coast would be interested and will make a serious attempt to sign him because he is the type of player they need. However, it appears that he is happy at Collingwood, and I don't think his preference would be to move to the Gold Coast, so I believe that Collingwood are favourites to retain him at this stage. A lot may depend on his form in the first half of the season though, and Collingwood's position on the ladder at that time.
Gee, I guess Caro wasn't just making rubbish up...
I don't know about that. It's pretty easy to put two and two together in this case. He is 22 years old and out of contract, and the type of player they are looking for.

They main concern was if he has an average poor year, but the old man still demands big $$$$. An average/poor year though means is he really worth it or can someone else play that role or who can we afford to let go to free up some cap space.

If he has a good year, he'll get offered a good deal, probably a long term one. (3/4 years) Still can't compete with GC17 money but we'll see.

GC17 would be neglegent to not talk to him. 22 y.o. Key position forward, proven at AFL are a rare commodity.

Hmmm, I still think it's very unlikely to happen. I would imagine a decent contract offer from us would be comfortably enough to keep him.

Let's say, for the sake of discussion though, that he does decide to go. Can we cover him? I'd have to think not at the moment. Forgetting the fact that we'd be well-compensated, as Trav is young and a consistent high performer in our B & Fs, losing Trav would be a major blow to our short-term flag aspirations. Dawes is our most similar young prospect, being a strong, solid lead-up forward (albeit that Trav is a much stronger mark and a much poorer kick) with elite endurance, but he's got a long way to go to cement himself as a senior player, let alone one of the top 3 young CHFs in the competition.

I'm not concerned, but I'd still like to see us play Dawes in these practice matches. Surely someone can be rested in order to give Dawesome a run in Alice Springs.

We simply make Cloke a fair offer, if he and his dad refuse, so be it.

He does not deserve to be one of our 3-4 highest paid players, but he is easily in the next 3-4 after that.

I have no idea what a player ranked 5th-8th on your list in worth these days, but offer him that amount and see if he accepts.

I hope he stays, but not much more we can do then offer up a fair contract.

The negative here will be supporters whinging about Ball and Jolly if he leaves, which is totally unfair as the pies were never going to offer Trav a ridiculous offer anyway, so Ball and Jolly and the amount they are getting paid should not come into the conversation.

My solution if he does go is to trade the pick we get for him immediately for another tall forward, we can't wait 3-4 years for another one to develop.

Unfortunately the compensation for a poached player is only a second round pick apparently. Hardly adequate for a 22 year old, B&F KPF, and I doubt you could trade it for any decent KPF, look at the furore over trying to snare Ball with a second round pick.

Honestly, if we were to lose Cloke it would be an absolutely massive loss. There is no one on our list at the moment capable of filling the CHF position anywhere near as well as he does. Sure, he is maligned for his goal kicking, but at least he gets the bloody pill. I'd rather he kicks 2.5 then 0.0 because hes only had 5 possessions for the game. I really wish the players who had already signed with Gold Coast had to be named, because from the article it's pretty obvious that GC have spoken to Cloke. I doubt he would have already signed with them in the offseason, but if he or any other Collingwood players had, then I'd want them out of the club right now

Honestly, if we were to lose Cloke it would be an absolutely massive loss. There is no one on our list at the moment capable of filling the CHF position anywhere near as well as he does. Sure, he is maligned for his goal kicking, but at least he gets the bloody pill. I'd rather he kicks 2.5 then 0.0 because hes only had 5 possessions for the game. I really wish the players who had already signed with Gold Coast had to be named, because from the article it's pretty obvious that GC have spoken to Cloke. I doubt he would have already signed with them in the offseason, but if he or any other Collingwood players had, then I'd want them out of the club right now

I know what you're saying. BUT the big picture is if he doest start kicking goals i really cant see us winning the flag, Friday night showed that the difference between Riewoldt and him was goal kicking. Our first final last season against the saints proved what difference a goal kicking forward makes. I feel if he doesnt start kicking goals we will be a top 4 side but never top 1 or 2.

Unfortunately the compensation for a poached player is only a second round pick apparently. Hardly adequate for a 22 year old, B&F KPF, and I doubt you could trade it for any decent KPF, look at the furore over trying to snare Ball with a second round pick.
Compensation is determined by a formula taking into account;
*Age (younger is better)
*Performance (as measured by B & F results)
*Contract (more money is better)
*Draft Pick used (earlier is better, but only considered if player has 4 years experience or less).

The draft pick awarded as compensation comes from the AFL, not the GC17, if the player is taken out of contract and not during trade week. Under the AFL's plan, the pick will fall in one of five categories;
*1st round
*Late 1st round
*2nd round
*Late 2nd round
*3rd round

So the bad news is, superstar players will be inadequately compensated for. Gary Ablett Jnr., if he were to go to GC17 out of contract, would result in only a mid-range first-round pick going to Geelong.

The good news is, mediocre players going to GC17 out of contract cannot attract a lower compensatory pick than a 3rd rounder. If McKenna wants to follow Iles and Stanley up with Cook/Corrie/other list filler, then we can't get lower than a 3rd round pick if they go out of contract as opposed to trade week or delisted/drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well be intresting to see Cloke does, Does he take the Money or Go North for Cash

Agree, will be interesting, assuming the rumours are true.
First, I really hope he doesn't go..I'm expecting a very big year from Trav.
My concern would be that his dad is his manager.
Most dads want to see their kids well set up..clearly Trav is in a profession where his earnings period is potentially very short, it's not like he's a physicist or a doctor or something.
Unless they figure he be a Pie for life, then coach eg like Bucks/Rowdy, then I fear they are more likely than par to go for the $$.
If he goes however, life has to go on. Leroy, Jack and Dawes can just about cover. Even with potentially less possessions, their value may well be equivalent due to better conversion rates?

Compensation is determined by a formula taking into account;
*Age (younger is better)
*Performance (as measured by B & F results)
*Contract (more money is better)
*Draft Pick used (earlier is better, but only considered if player has 4 years experience or less).

The draft pick awarded as compensation comes from the AFL, not the GC17, if the player is taken out of contract and not during trade week. Under the AFL's plan, the pick will fall in one of five categories;
*1st round
*Late 1st round
*2nd round
*Late 2nd round
*3rd round

So the bad news is, superstar players will be inadequately compensated for. Gary Ablett Jnr., if he were to go to GC17 out of contract, would result in only a mid-range first-round pick going to Geelong.

The good news is, mediocre players going to GC17 out of contract cannot attract a lower compensatory pick than a 3rd rounder. If McKenna wants to follow Iles and Stanley up with Cook/Corrie/other list filler, then we can't get lower than a 3rd round pick if they go out of contract as opposed to trade week or delisted/drafted.

I think Cloke would be a Late 1st or 2nd Rounder as he is Young and has Won a B+F with Us in 2007

Pretty simple really, if you want to be at Collingwood sign up, if you don't, then GTFO and take your old man with ya.

If you don't want to be a part of our football club, I'm sure there's a kid who'd love a crack at holding down a spot in the forward line and playing in front of the biggest crowds and the most passionate supporters.

One thing about football is that the football clubs are bigger than the players. We'll find a replacement, but Travis Cloke will not have finished what he started and he'll lose the respect of a lot of people.

What do you want Travis, the chance to be a Collingwood great, or a mercenary who left a football club that supported him and treated him well just because of a few $$$$. I tell you something, life isn't all about money, and if you **** over the people whom have treated you well and respected you, well then it'll come back to you down the line.

Yeah it factors in where they are drafted, BnFs, Brownlows ect.

Ablett Jnr is only worth a 2nd rounder under the system due to his drafting number as a FS same with Cloke but less playing honors.

I think we're all getting a little mixed up here.

If Ablett walked Geelong would be compensated with 26 if they were to look for immediate compensation. If they wait it out a couple of years, the compensation would be very good.

we gave him 80 odd games?

Didn't rate his 01,02 and 03 seasons? pretty sure on form he earned those games.

He excelled in the role Maxwell now plays, after the 03 GF MM tried to turn a medium paced 189 cm player into a KPP. When that failed the wing experiment was tried another failure and all confidence in him was lost.
He could of played more games as a HBF but that was about as far his limitations would allow at AFL level.

Didn't rate his 01,02 and 03 seasons? pretty sure on form he earned those games.

He excelled in the role Maxwell now plays, after the 03 GF MM tried to turn a medium paced 189 cm player into a KPP. When that failed the wing experiment was tried another failure and all confidence in him was lost.
He could of played more games as a HBF but that was about as far his limitations would allow at AFL level.
I rated 01 and 02, most of 03.

After 03 i dont presctibed to the malthouse killed cloke, cloke got worked out, we tried to find new positions for him and just couldnt. Didnt help we were shit in 04 and 05

Remove this Banner Ad

Magpies Cloke Fear

Remove this Banner Ad

Back