Mal Michael PSD ?

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt we wouldn't have released him from his contract.

Once you release a bloke, regardless of the reason, I don't know what the AFL can do unless there is proof that Essendon forced Michael's hand towards retirement. I don't believe that is the case here.

Possibly, especially being so young and contract not worth so much.

But, in our shoes, do you reckon it's fair?

The hardest thing is I don't really know who to be legimately pissed off at. I understand where Mal's coming from, but in my book if you retire mid-contract them you're retired. I don't imagine Essendon have done anything wrong, except for not trying to strike a deal during trade week. Maybe I should be pissed at the AFL. Surely they'd be used to it by now... :D

I meant more with the option of the AFL not registering the contract. Surely anyone can see the potential minefield this opens up. What would you think if Dempsey had up and left citing homsickness and just wanting to play footy with his mates, then signed with us, then signed with us in the PSD (yeah big hypothetical I know)?

The AFL would have a lot of trouble proving anything other than the fact Micheal changed his mind after he retired. It is not ideal and it leaves a lot of questions but basicly there isnt a lot the AFL can do. How do you prove that Micheal didnt change his mind after moving to Melbourne and having time to think about things?
The Lions have every right to be annoyed. I can see where supporters of other clubs can look at us as doing something suspect but how do you prove it? there is no clear cut case here like the Steve Turner issue. The AFL would basicly have to say Mal you are a lier and we wont register you!

To be honest, no I don't.

But if this is simply just a case of Mal changing his mind. I don't know what the solution is.

Nope, not an easy one. To be honest, I wished we'd been able to tailor his training commitments, but I can resepct why we didn't do that also. Have to just wait and see I guess.

No doubt this is a very contentious issue and there may be more to come.
One thing i think we have in our favour is that when Michael retired, Carlton had not announced they would take Ackland.

Therefore we would not have been sure we could get him, and it would be highly unlikely that Carlton would overlook him.

IF we did do a shifty here, and i think we have to some extent, just not sure how big, i think we are on the wrong track and after our draft penalties of the past, is a very very risky move.

MAYBE, it is just a matter of opportunity, and Sheedy deciding to have a chat and see where Michael was at, as Sheedy loves to do, and things went from there.
I'm really not sure.

If his heart is in it, he will be a very handy player and the EXACT type of player we need for CHB.

Surely it's only draft tampering if we approached Michael before he retired.

If Brisbane release him, I can't see they have a leg to stand on.

Id only think they're frustrated due to having released him with the notion that he didnt intend on playing professionally any longer. Foolishly, they released him which pretty much sealed their fate if he decides to continue his career at another club.

Im still very hesitant about him, great ability....but he's said once before he doesnt have that burning desire again. Will it return?
Hopefully, he's snapped out of it and ready to add steel and grunt to our fragile backline.

Yeah, sure. I understand that.

But if the bloke walks away from his current club and has a change of heart, are Essendon not then permitted to talk to him?

I don't believe Essendon tried to talk Michael into leaving Brisbane under the guise of a retirement so we could pick him up in the draft. And believe me, if we did, I'd be the first to critisise.

At the moment, I can only go on what was in the article provided on the EFC website and that states the break and time away has made Michael rethink his retirement. If that's the case, I can't see what can be done about it or where the tampering occurs.
If he's retired and changes his mind, is he or should he be obliged only to go to Brisbane? Brisbane would still have to draft him, give then he's been delisted and a contract no longer exists and if no-one else can draft him except Brisbane, isn't that draft tampering in itself?

It is a little dodgy though, although the spotlight here focuses more on the player, than the club. Id hate to think any other club speaking to one of our players about 'retiring' under the notion that he'll be redrafted.

Im also pretty sure footballers in Europe have been gagged by their clubs before, from speaking to potential suitors whilst under contract with their current club.

I dont think this one will be smooth sailing...

I meant more with the option of the AFL not registering the contract. Surely anyone can see the potential minefield this opens up. What would you think if Dempsey had up and left citing homsickness and just wanting to play footy with his mates, then signed with us, then signed with us in the PSD (yeah big hypothetical I know)?

They were silly enough to let him go, so the AFL can only act as if the player is still under contract at his present club. I do however, agree with your argument....it opens things up for any player to be 'approached'

One thing I will add though, all talk of Sheedy being 'past it' is surely beginning to dissolve. He's at his wily best here and I bet most coaches wish they had've thought of this season's ago with 'retiring' great footballers.

I cannot believe this..... I am in awe..
I feel this is a massive step forwad for the efc. Possibly one of the biggest left field recruitment ever to occur in recruiting for us imo.
Personally i am over the moon!

Wow. Big and very unexpected news. Did anyone see this coming?

Even when he had lost his 'desire' to play he was still very handy for the Lions. Hopefully he has gained it back and plays a great couple of years with us. One thing it will do is free up Dustin Fletcher and should make him even more effective.

Morals and judgement on whether it's fair we drafted him aside, I can only see this as a plus for Essendon. It lets us use Fletcher in the role we want him to play, without him having to play on a massive power forward, and it also gives us a couple of years to further develop our fairly weak (young) backline.

Unlucky for Brisbane but I'm wrapped with this pick up!!!!! He is only like 29 and can take the big power forwards. Lets jsut hope the AFL doesnt stop the move if thats possible.

Mal Micheal David rohdan what an great football club you guys are making a great future for your club sheedy at the top look out wooden spoon 2007 your club makes me sick if i had a membership i would toss it. :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mal Micheal David rohdan what an great football club you guys are making a great future for your club sheedy at the top look out wooden spoon 2007 your club makes me sick if i had a membership i would toss it. :mad:

Looking forward to enduring another season ending in disappointment?

Classy.
trol.jpg

Didn't take long for all the "Sheedy is only signing him to win a few extra games and keep his job" crap to start.

This team needs to win as many games as possible. After last year our young players need to learn and need to believe this team can win 13-16 games in a year, this young team needs to experience multiple finals action before we even entertain the idea of a flag.

Melbourne fans are the real disgrace they would only even concider buying a membership if Melbourne made the finals the year before. Go have some tea and a biscuit your all handbag supporters. Essendon will win a flag long before your next one.

Melbourne fans are the real disgrace they would only even concider buying a membership if Melbourne made the finals the year before. Go have some tea and a biscuit your all handbag supporters. Essendon will win a flag long before your next one.

Now, you've done it ;)

Just wanna say "WHO SAW THAT ONE COMING",Fantastic News for the Club.Very happy with Mal coming to the mighty Bombers!.........:D

I wouldnt say anyone saw it coming, but quite a number of us really warmed to the idea when it was first announced that he was quitting Brisbane.
Suddenly, our backline is looking somewhat more capable of handling tall marking forwards. My immediate concern was matching up against the Saints believe it or not...

Thrilled to get Mal - can finally look forward to playing Port Adelaide without getting palpitations RE Tredrea.

In terms of the dodginess factor, I think this one is on the level - though I can understand why Brisbane are pissed - but I think it has the potential to open up a can of worms for the future. Next time around Everitt will simply retire in order to chase a premiership. Mind you Sheeds has done similar before with ex-Bombers - Shane Heard, Daisy Williams, Paul Salmon - so I really think that Mal retired of his own volition and Sheedy subsequently had one of his 'chats' with him. I don't know how the AFL would go about preventing the abuse of this sort of move - if a player retires during contract and is released by the club, he is then bound to that club in case of a comeback for the duration of the would be contract, with the club having to use a 1st round PSD pick on him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mal Michael PSD ?