Manchester United Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What?

We are getting destroyed in midfield by Liverpool. No control at all. They are literally strolling past our press.

Ten Hag's tactics are garbage.

We are getting destroyed in the midfield because our midfield is Casemiro and Mainoo.

EtH is not blameless, but people are far too eager to turn on managers without actually looking at everything in front of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are getting destroyed in the midfield because our midfield is Casemiro and Mainoo.

EtH is not blameless, but people are far too eager to turn on managers without actually looking at everything in front of them.

Who is setting us up to play without midfield control?

Who is happily carrying a one dimensional winger who doesn't bother tracking back?

Our players look like they have never played together before and look clueless in his system. What progress has been made to rectify this in 3 years?

Who is setting us up to play without midfield control?

What would you like done with a midfleld of Casemiro and Mainoo?

Who is happily carrying a one dimensional winger who doesn't bother tracking back?
This I agree with. The loyalty to Rashford is a joke.

Our players look like they have never played together before. What progress has been made to rectify this in 3 years?

I mean, 2 of them are making their first United start with another not many more.

Whethr it is EtH or Ancelotti, the on-field leaders have to step up. Instead we've got Casemiro and Rashford.

What would you like done with a midfleld of Casemiro and Mainoo?

This I agree with. The loyalty to Rashford is a joke.

I mean, 2 of them are making their first United start with another not many more.

Whethr it is EtH or Ancelotti, the on-field leaders have to step up. Instead we've got Casemiro and Rashford.

A central midfield of Casemiro and Mainoo is ok. But this high press, fast transition, counter attacking style he is trying to implement is rubbish. We have more than enough evidence of this.

You don't win leagues without midfield control/possession football. ETH doesn't value either.

A central midfield of Casemiro and Mainoo is ok. But this high press, fast transition, counter attacking style he is trying to implement is rubbish. We have more than enough evidence of this.

You don't win leagues without midfield control.

Case OK? Come on mate...

Casemiro wasn't OK last season and on all available evidence he has deteriorated further this season. Directly responsible for both goals in that first half.

Casemiro and Mainoo - on all available evidence - is not OK. It's not even close to OK. We/ve subbed a 20 year old on to help the midfield out but it's OK? 🤣

It's a disaster. We need Ugarte desperately in this side but he won't be enough on his own.

Case OK? Come on mate...

Casemiro wasn't OK last season and on all available evidence he has deteriorated further this season. Directly responsible for both goals in that first half.

Casemiro and Mainoo - on all available evidence - is not OK. It's not even close to OK. We/ve subbed a 20 year old on to help the midfield out but it's OK? 🤣

It's a disaster. We need Ugarte desperately in this side but he won't be enough on his own.

Yep. They've contributed to all 3 liverpool goals.

Case OK? Come on mate...

What are you on about?

Put anyone in our midfield and the same shit happens, that was my point. It's the manager's tactics that is the issue. He plays with lack of midfield control that allows teams to dominate our midfield.

Oh look, Liverpool have waltzed through our midfield again for a 3rd goal.

What are you on about?

I was just laughing at the assertion that "Casemiro and Mainoo are OK".

Not even close. It's a laughably bad midfield.
Put anyone in our midfield and the same shit happens, that was my point. It's the manager's tactics that is the issue. He plays with lack of midfield control that allows teams to dominate our midfield.

All 3 goals are at the fault of the midfield.

We have a 19 year old and a 20 year old in midfield right now.

We do not have the cattle. And we won't for another 2 windows at least. Blaming the manager is a shallow convenience.

Oh look, Liverpool have waltzed through our midfield again for a 3rd goal.

Yup, Mainoo at fault for that one. But he's an OK duo with a 32 year old who we subbed off at half time for a hugely inexperienced 20 year old, apparently.

It's a mess. And it would be a mess under Ancelotti just as much as it is a mess under EtH.

I was just laughing at the assertion that "Casemiro and Mainoo are OK".

Not even close. It's a laughably bad midfield.

All 3 goals are at the fault of the midfield.

We have a 19 year old and a 20 year old in midfield right now.

We do not have the cattle. And we won't for another 2 windows at least. Blaming the manager is a shallow convenience.

Yup, Mainoo at fault for that one. But he's an OK duo with a 32 year old who we subbed off at half time for a hugely inexperienced 20 year old, apparently.

It's a mess. And it would be a mess under Ancelotti just as much as it is a mess under EtH.

So now Mainoo is a bad player all of a sudden?

The midfield is 'laughably bad' because of the way Ten Hag sets up his system. Yes, both have made mistakes today but the system doesn't help them at all. They are expected to do it all (high press/intercept attacks/etc) which means they are regularly caught out of position/making mistakes leaving massive gaps in our midfield and between midfield and defence which funnily enough is happening again.

Put any midfielder in our team and the result doesn't change. That was my point. The system Ten Hag plays with doesn't maximise our strengths.

Lol Ancelotti wouldn't be dumb enough to play without midfield control in a league that requires such a style to win games consistently.

We have spent over 500 million backing Ten Hag with minimal progress and you want to spend more on him?

Last edited:
So now Mainoo is a bad player all of a sudden?

Mate. You're better than this.

You couldn't possibly look at my posts and seriously think I'm having a go at Mainoo.

The midfield is 'laughably bad' because of the way Ten Hag sets up his system. Yes, both have made mistakes today but the system doesn't help them at all. They are expected to do it all (high press/intercept attacks/etc) which means they are regularly caught out of position/making mistakes leaving massive gaps in our midfield and between midfield and defence which funnily enough is happening again.

The midfield is laughably bad because we have Mainoo, Casemiro and...20 year old Toby Collyer. Oh yeah and Ericksen who could probably be outrun by my 5 year old niece.

You try implement any system with a midfield as shallow as that and it will be exposed.

Put any midfielder in our team and the result doesn't change. That was my point. The system Ten Hag plays with doesn't maximise our strengths.

What exactly are the strengths of our midfield?

Lol Ancelotti wouldn't be dumb enough to play without midfield control in a league that requires such a style to win games consistently.

And he'd still have a midfield of Casemiro, Mainoo, and Ericksen. No manager will succeed with that. It's laughable to be talking tactics whilst simultaneously completely ignoring the lack of depth in that position.

We have spent over 500 million backing Ten Hag with minimal progress and you want to spend more on him?

This is a ridiculous argument. How much did we spend under Ole? Mourinho? van Gaal?

Maybe, just maybe, it's time to look beyond the manager. Thankfully the club seems to have started to do that under INEOS, but it doesn't happen overnight.

Look at the number of off field changes they've made in a relatively short period of time.

I get the desire to sack the manager. I really do. It's so convenient. But it completely exonerates other areas of the club which are just as much at fault if not more so than managers who are more often than not sacrificial lambs.

We've seen this play out before. We'll probably sack him, bring in a shiny new toy and...nothing will change. And round and round we go.

No thanks. I'd rather look at the bigger issues and address them.

Don't bother trying to talk tactics. They're not relevant if you don't have the cattle.

Mate. You're better than this.

You couldn't possibly look at my posts and seriously think I'm having a go at Mainoo.

The midfield is laughably bad because we have Mainoo, Casemiro and...20 year old Toby Collyer. Oh yeah and Ericksen who could probably be outrun by my 5 year old niece.

You try implement any system with a midfield as shallow as that and it will be exposed.

What exactly are the strengths of our midfield?

And he'd still have a midfield of Casemiro, Mainoo, and Ericksen. No manager will succeed with that. It's laughable to be talking tactics whilst simultaneously completely ignoring the lack of depth in that position.

This is a ridiculous argument. How much did we spend under Ole? Mourinho? van Gaal?

Maybe, just maybe, it's time to look beyond the manager. Thankfully the club seems to have started to do that under INEOS, but it doesn't happen overnight.

Look at the number of off field changes they've made in a relatively short period of time.

I get the desire to sack the manager. I really do. It's so convenient. But it completely exonerates other areas of the club which are just as much at fault if not more so than managers who are more often than not sacrificial lambs.

We've seen this play out before. We'll probably sack him, bring in a shiny new toy and...nothing will change. And round and round we go.

No thanks. I'd rather look at the bigger issues and address them.

Don't bother trying to talk tactics. They're not relevant if you don't have the cattle.

For some reason multi quote ain't working on my end atm so I'll address your points via a numbered list.

1. A midfield of Mainoo and Casemiro (can replace with Ugarte now that he has signed) should be employed as a deep-lying defensive pivot and not as part of a chaotic football style where they are constantly running up the field leaving a massive gap behind them that is constantly exposed by the opposition on a regular basis. We have low level teams dicking us around in midfield these days.

Again a lack of midfield control is a huge issue for us atm and it doesn't require world class players to be able to do it. Ten Hag prefers a high press, quick counter attacking style which directly is the opposite of a controlled, possession football style that is proven to be more consistently successful and that essentially is the problem.

2. Rubbish. It is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that no manager would succeed with that midfield and as such, tactics don't matter.

Good managers will always make do with what they have personnel wise and implement a system that maximises their players strengths and covers weaknesses to make a team function effectively. Look at how Arne Slot has come in and done the exact same thing when their biggest weakness was a lack of a proper DM and they didn't even sign anyone for that position in the summer after Zubamendi rejected them but he has made it work regardless. It's pretty much all excuses for Ten Hag now.

3. Where are Mourinho, LVG & Ole now? They weren't good enough regardless of the spending we backed them with so they got the flick just like Ten Hag should soon. INEOS are making the required changes and I trust them to make the right managerial appointment soon enough.

4. Tactics are irrelevant if you don't have the cattle? Yeh sure, if you are a poor manager who can't coach for shit like Ten Hag. He hasn't got a clue on how to succeed in this league. That's down to his incompetence and not 'lack of cattle'.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Manchester United Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back