Manual or automatic?

Remove this Banner Ad

YOTC said:
On the back of the licence it will say class: A or b, c, etc. C is manual in WA i'm sure.

Yep you are right about the class C part....in SA anyway, but it says it on the front of my licence, nothing on the back but crap. I checked on the transport sa website. Thats good, I know I can now legally drive a manual after learning in an auto....now why would anyone bother wasting so much extra time and money and hassle learning in a manual, when auto is much quicker, and you can drive both anyway? Makes no sense to do this.

When i go for my p's ill probably go manual, but i will defiantly be driving a automatic. Cbf using the cluch and the gears

Jeremias said:
Do you drive a manual or automatic car?

I am on my L's ATM, but I will be driving an automatic.
I don't think that I could ever buy an automatic car because I don't feel like I'm driving, and I love to drive! In fact, the more gears the better as my new VW GTi is a 6-speed, although I have to use my right hand to change gears here in America.
peternorth said:
i drive a bmw auto - steptonic. does it count as a manual?
No because it doesn't have a clutch.

My household has both variants.

When traffic is heavy (I live in Sydney, sometimes a lot of stop-starts) or when there's parking to be done, automatic is better as it's less strenuous. You can actually tell which cars on the road are manuals as they try to avoid coming to a complete stop.

Manuals IMO are better on the open road, however, the tendency on long trips to forget to downshift can sometimes be a problem. Ultimately, I reckon manuals are great since it emphasises drivers involvement making better drivers overall (the need to understand how a car works and to anticipate traffic changes).

I'm not advocating everyone should have a manual but, they should atleast learn how to operate one.

KissStephanie said:
I don't think that I could ever buy an automatic car because I don't feel like I'm driving, and I love to drive! In fact, the more gears the better as my new VW GTi is a 6-speed, although I have to use my right hand to change gears here in America.No because it doesn't have a clutch.

Mmm yes, when you're driving an Auto, you don't feel like you're driving. What do you feel like you're doing then Stephanie? Drinking milk?

Probably misses the phallic nature of a manual shifter (don't take it as a sexist comment).

PS: Golf GTi - I would've went with the DSG (automatic) as it's faster. Even though listed as an auto it does have a clutch, 2 of them to be precise.

Manual's have more things going for them

After you learn to steer, there is really much more you can do in an auto

what a boring transmission and thread

ICanDressMyself said:
Mmm yes, when you're driving an Auto, you don't feel like you're driving. What do you feel like you're doing then Stephanie? Drinking milk?
Drinking milk? To say I have no idea how milk is relevant to the topic is an understatement. Maybe you know what you were talking about, but I don't I'm sorry. :confused: I will say though that drinking milk is more challenging than driving an automatic. Drinking milk is more fun than driving an automatic. Drinking milk is more difficult than driving an automatic.

In case you haven't driven a manual though, it feels like driving, while an automatic does not. Whenever I have 'operated' an automatic, it feels like guiding something, but it definitely does not feel like driving as a clutch is not being depressed and gears are not being changed up and down when accelarating, slowing down, cornering, and turning.
0497 said:
Golf GTi - I would've went with the DSG (automatic) as it's faster. Even though listed as an auto it does have a clutch, 2 of them to be precise.
Of course it would need to have a clutch, but they are an internal clutch, and not a traditional clutch is what I meant. My point was that because of that, it is not a manual. My 'new' car is a used 2004 GTi VR6 R32 all-wheel drive, and they were only released in a close-ratio 6-speed manual, and because of other factors and specs, I think it's quicker than a DSG. However, speed isn't an important factor to me, but a traditional clutch is though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've drive an auto but I have a manual licence. I like manuals alot better.
Driving a manual is not difficult! After 3-4 drives you feel huge improvement. Its harder learning to ride a bike.

Auto's are for people with no patience! I wish I had a manual.:(

localyokel said:
It's because they are doing something all the time and it keeps your interst engaged. Sometimes pointing and driving is a little too easy and your attention starts to wander.

Given you share the road with manual drivers I reckon driving a manual for a while at least is a good idea. It gives you a better idea what's going on with other drivers.

Too right. It ****s me when I'm stopped at the lights on a decent uphill slope and some auto jerk plonks their car 30cm away from my rear bumper bar and i have to pull off an elite start so that i don't roll back and hit them. If everyone had manual to begin with it would make the road safer for all.

Manual is a win-win. $2k cheaper on most new cars, plus you get the enjoyment of DRIVING. It's something you do for a fair chunk of your life, so you might as well enjoy it.

waspy said:
Too right. It ****s me when I'm stopped at the lights on a decent uphill slope and some auto jerk plonks their car 30cm away from my rear bumper bar and i have to pull off an elite start so that i don't roll back and hit them. If everyone had manual to begin with it would make the road safer for all.

Manual is a win-win. $2k cheaper on most new cars, plus you get the enjoyment of DRIVING. It's something you do for a fair chunk of your life, so you might as well enjoy it.
Enjoying changing gears? LoL

Everyone driving manual would be safer? What a load of horse****. If everyone drived Auto, it'd be much safer.

i agree that on the open road it would be fun hitting the clutch, changing gears, feeling like a man (in a he man kinda sense :)).

As ive said earlier i drive an auto bmw. with the auto i have more time to play with the phone functions, change radio stations etc.

also its got the manual functions (auto - steptonic), so its it a manual in that sense?

but in the end each to their own. i copped it at school for driving an auto, apparently it was a sign of weakness, lack of manhood. auto drivers may argue that manual drivers cant afford an auto blah blah blah. of course both sides of the argument presented at 100% false.

reasoning one vs the other is like arguing about religion. or even arguing on a message board. no one wins.

Manual - nothing more frustrating than being stuck at lights on a relatively steep hill and having nob jocks pull up within 5 cms of my rear!

I always wonder, what happens if I roll back and hit them? Yes I hit them, but is there an arguement for not keeping a legal safe distance!

guess_who said:
Manual - nothing more frustrating than being stuck at lights on a relatively steep hill and having nob jocks pull up within 5 cms of my rear!

I always wonder, what happens if I roll back and hit them? Yes I hit them, but is there an arguement for not keeping a legal safe distance!
Dont drive manuals.

Fixes all that :thumbsu:

guess_who said:

but are they to know that you're driving a manual?

i see your point however.

peternorth said:
i agree that on the open road it would be fun hitting the clutch, changing gears, feeling like a man (in a he man kinda sense ).
Feeling like a man? A lot of women prefer that too.
guess_who said:
It's illegal to get that close to cars in front. A driver should be able see the bottom of the rear wheels of the car in front, and anybody that gets closer should get a ticket. I don't roll back at all when that happens though.
Cassius_Clay said:
Dont drive manuals.

Fixes all that :thumbsu:
But a manual is driving and heaps more fun, while an automatic is not either. My thought has always been that people that 'operate' automatics do so because they either can't or don't know how to drive a manual, or are a little lazy to change gears, and unable to multi-task. I can do all of that myself.

The reason I drive manual is because thats what I learnt in, both family cars were manual and my dad baught a car from a mate which happend to be manual, I wasn't going to complain but I prefer Manual.

As for the safe distance, I was always told as some one posted that you should always be able to see the whole rear wheel of the person infron of you at lights.

As for zoning out when driving Autos, can imagine how easy it is have seen people do it. Less likely to occur in a manual. It's so unbelievably easy to get your license its almost laughable, I know in Germany drivers have to learn to drive a manual!

To say that an auto is less safe then a manual car is ridiculous, same goes for the other way around. However I think that Automatic cars would tend to be driven by drivers who are probably not as well trained etc, due to the fact that it is so ridiculously easy to get your auto license. Any license for that matter.

KissStephanie said:
My thought has always been that people that 'operate' automatics do so because they either can't or don't know how to drive a manual, or are a little lazy to change gears, and unable to multi-task. I can do all of that myself.
Incorrect. I have a manual license.

I want to relax while driving not worry about changing gears.

peternorth said:
but does it mean that manual drivers should driver autos as well?

i guess its personal preference. people who think they're better than others because of the type of car they drive need help.

peternorth said:
funny thing was i had a 78 merc waiting for me (auto) so why waste time learning when I could be driving a merc?

:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Manual or automatic?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back