Manual or automatic?

Remove this Banner Ad

There are no manuals in my family except for my Dad's work truck which needs a special license. I had one lesson in my Dad's old manual ute and was pretty much thrown off the idea after being screamed for not doing it perfectly. Next time I'd definitely need someone with any kind of patience in order to learn something I've never done except on Daytona.

When driving auto I always seem to lose my concentration so driving manual cold erase this.

One of my pet hates. Male auto drivers. The exceptions being;

* If your current car is an auto and it was either handed down to you, its a work car or you won it.
* If you drive for a living and have to drive within a busy city or area daily.
* If you have been driving manual for 20+ years and feel like a change/can't be bothered anymore/your too old for it.
* If you really don't like driving at all and drive the type of car which demonstrates this.

If you are male (females too really, but most of them would fit into the 4th point), drive an auto, and don't meet one or more of these, you are a lesser human being. If you don't meet any of these, are male, drive an auto, and drive a Commodore, Falcon, any such car with skirts, spoilers etc, you are a try hard poser.

* If your current car is an auto and it was either handed down to you, its a work car or you won it.
* If you have been driving manual for 20+ years and feel like a change/can't be bothered anymore/your too old for it.
* If you really don't like driving at all and drive the type of car which demonstrates this.

If you are male (females too really, but most of them would fit into the 4th point), drive an auto, and don't meet one or more of these, you are a lesser human being. If you don't meet any of these, are male, drive an auto, and drive a Commodore, Falcon, any such car with skirts, spoilers etc, you are a try hard poser.
And i'll tell you my pet hates.....
When people think their kool driving manual but cant actually drive it.
Eg. Tonight on the way home from work on melb road and im waiting to turn right. After waiting like 5 min we finally get an arrow but some f*ck stick in a manual cannot drive and cannot select a gear fast enough and makes me miss the arrow... had to wait for another 5 min or so:mad:

btw like 90% of people on the roads today drive commodores or faclons and around 95% of all new cars have skirts and spoilers so i dont see how thats being a try hard when its comes with the car when u buy it? unless your talking about the try hards who put body kits on their cars with massive spoilers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep fair enough, meant body kits and massive spoilers, skirts and spoilers in proportion to the car can look nice no matter the transmission.

I have a Manual living in a city with 5 million people in it and traffic is a b*****. It's always first gear and neutral, first gear and neutral. When i get home, my leg almost burns from the workout.

It really would depend on where you live.

Some interesting reading amongst this - I wonder what the breakup of age and gender is. My experience has tended to be it's generally women, and either young (<21) or old (>40) people who have autos.

I got my license as soon as possible, and don't think I ever drove an auto until I'd put maybe 100,000k down. Having relations in the car industry meant I was always 'test-driving' lots of different cars.

I've got an auto now (work car), which is a shocker to drive. I honestly HATE autos. I can acknowledge they work well for inner-city driving, and those without the coordination to control a clutch (ie dancers).

You don't get the same connection with the road, traffic flow, or the vehicle itself with an automatic. It's very much point and go, rather than feeling the road.

With a manual I have regularly driven for 4 hours at more or less highway speed, up and down mountains, around rivers, etc. Very rarely would I get tired. In an auto, anything more than about 10 minutes and I can feel the fatigue setting in. I have to concentrate on something (usually the clock) to keep me focused.

I agree that many/most people on the road should have more stringent requirements on their actual driving abilities - I'd say as little as 1 in 5 (maybe even 1 in 10) are actually capable of controlling their vehicle properly.

I have a Manual living in a city with 5 million people in it and traffic is a b*****.
I live on an island (Manhattan) that is only about 60 square km's yet has a resident population of 1,700,000 people, which swells to a massive 2,900,000 during the work week. The combined New York-Newark-Bridgeport, New York-New Jersey-Connecticut-Pennsylvania metropolitan area is about 22 million people!

Despite that, I still would rather have my 6-speed manual car! Even with changing gears with my right hand and driving on the wrong side of the road. The 24 hour subway does help with getting around too though, because it's probably the best public transport system in the world. I can often keep my car securely parked undercover in my building for days at a time.

Wow and I know what you mean. NYC is a hectic place!

And I have to disagree rig about the best public transportation system in the world. Tokyo's system is two times busier than NYC's but it is the easiest to navigate through even in Japanese!!

When i visited Japan, I was blown away at the security guys that actually pushed people in with flat boards because they all couldn't fit. It was awesome.

Im just about ot turn 20, and have not needed to get my Ps (got my L's soon after I was 16) as I literally lived 200m from both School and Work. All my mates learnt to drive by driving to work, or school most days etc.

Im abit over not having my P's now as Ive moved to Uni. Still easy enough to get around with public transport as it only takes 10 minutes to get to CBD, and I am a 5 minute walk to Uni however. I only just started getting lessons again, and I am not sure whether I should just quickly get my auto licence to get more freedom, or wait longer and get my manual.

One of my pet hates is people that actually think it matters.
I drive an automatic because I want to. It is easier and less work.

I drive an Auto but want a manual.

I's the fun factor, decent manual car around the hills or in the wet equals :thumbsu:

I have my automatic license, and drive a VS Commodore, which is of course an automatic.

But if need be I do know how to drive a manual. In my case it was more of a convenience thing, nobody had a manual car in my family so I just got my automatic license

Remove this Banner Ad

Manual or automatic?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back