Manuka Oval Upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/act-...and-cricket-in-canberra--20160812-gqqyiy.html

Every time you're standing in a massive queue at Manuka Oval over the next decade, you'll know who to blame. The Inner South Canberra Community Council, the Friends of Manuka Pool and the Kingston Barton Residents Group.

All three were part of a campaign against the Manuka Green proposal, put together by AFL club Greater Western Sydney and developers Grocon.

Their campaign, which television show Mythbusters would have loved to get their teeth into, led to the ACT government declaring they would not accept the Manuka Green proposal through the unsolicited bids process.

Not only has it quashed the proposal, sentencing oval goers to a life of long queues, but it has the potential to ruin our chances of hosting AFL finals and future Big Bash League games.

Nah if it was Victoria they'd hold a state election and let the new government pay the project managers $1 billion not to build anything on the back of a few vocal professional protestors ... in Victoria we vote for government who clearly don't care what is needed ... who needs an airport rail link? 6 million Victorians are quite happy with the current choked freeway, and paying $80 to commute by taxi to the airport from the city. It's fair!

And no Victorians argue with me on this, the state got exactly what its majority voted for!!!
I'm not convinced a rail link is needed. Would never use it. However the stalled redevelopment of Manuka is needed and infuriates me likewise that a small group of residents has prevented it. Just silly.

No doubt the 500 petitioners were the elitist political class, not the riff raff sporty types. Hopefully the Canberrans don't accept this setback.

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=65
Its not a setback. From memory, handing development of an entire locality to one developer with a monopoly on possibly Canberra's wealthiest area was part of the proposal. Any government doing that would have been bloody stupid.

And the hotel, etc, were very much out of character with what is a fairly low-rise area. The oval needs an upgrade, especially spectator facilities (viewing is fine, queueing is bad) and parking. But the proposal was tied to too much other stuff, although I never saw detail of the downgraded version.

it also got questioned when the company had various tie-ins with ministers and staffers, which made it a harder sell.

Its not a setback. From memory, handing development of an entire locality to one developer with a monopoly on possibly Canberra's wealthiest area was part of the proposal. Any government doing that would have been bloody stupid.

And the hotel, etc, were very much out of character with what is a fairly low-rise area. The oval needs an upgrade, especially spectator facilities (viewing is fine, queueing is bad) and parking. But the proposal was tied to too much other stuff, although I never saw detail of the downgraded version.

it also got questioned when the company had various tie-ins with ministers and staffers, which made it a harder sell.

So what is the alternative, do nothing ?? Wont do anthing for the queueing!

You wouldn't use it, fair enough but there are 75,000 daily users of Melbourne Airport who depart and arrive with the bulk using busses and taxis that clog a freeway that is also accessed and used by normal city commuters. Melbourne is creaking now with 4.5 million people, a decade from now it will add another 900,000. How will Melbournites feel about travelling to the footy on a 24/7 choked road network?

We are talking about a city that hasn't built a new reservoir in 34 years, a new inch of tram track in 20 years, or seriously upgraded road networks or freeway since the completion of Eastlink 8 years ago.

A lot needs to be done or otherwise you might just as well sit at home and watch all of your foootball ten years from now in front of your TV.
But they did build a new railway which was a great idea for reagional Victorians until the previous government completely cocked up the flyovers to save some money...only to cost us even more in wheel replacements and lost productivity.

Nah if it was Victoria they'd hold a state election and let the new government pay the project managers $1 billion not to build anything on the back of a few vocal professional protestors ... in Victoria we vote for government who clearly don't care what is needed ... who needs an airport rail link? 6 million Victorians are quite happy with the current choked freeway, and paying $80 to commute by taxi to the airport from the city. It's fair!

And no Victorians argue with me on this, the state got exactly what its majority voted for!!!
A train to the airport would just end up a total rort like it is in Sydney.

Better off putting your uber clicker as close as you can to the airport, then asking them to drive up to the airport to pick you up. Most will do it and to the CBD it's a good $35 drive.

That or use the Skybus, which Victorians seem allergic to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what is the alternative, do nothing ?? Wont do anthing for the queueing!
The ACT govt master plan to my knowledge has a larger capacity upgrade than Grocon/GWS were proposing.

I don't think the alternative was ever nothing and I'm not convinced that the rejection of an initial unsolicited proposal asking for huge concessions means Grocon/GWS just walks away.

The ACT govt master plan to my knowledge has a larger capacity upgrade than Grocon/GWS were proposing.

I don't think the alternative was ever nothing and I'm not convinced that the rejection of an initial unsolicited proposal asking for huge concessions means Grocon/GWS just walks away.
Really? Thought the government upgrade was tiny by comparison

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I went to a geelong game there this year- lines lines lines

didn't get in until 10mins into first qtr, line around the block to get in the gate
spent entire 2nd qtr in line for beer and pies, got to the counter as half time siren sounded and they were out of pies, pouring one beer at a time
left during third qtr and went to the pub because the line for the pissa was out of sight

might go back for the cricket but doubt it, apart from being picturesque it was worse than subiaco- on par with blacktown/

Interesting. In what way?

The plans i noticed were great.

The government one was much smaller and used public funding.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Nearly all of the Grocon proposal was for the commercial developments on public land.

The existing Manuka Oval plan takes us to 20000 people by the end of stage 3.

The Grocon proposal was pretty vague on actual capacity increase, as it mostly focused on replacing existing temporary seats and standing areas and adding more cover. But David Shepherd said that "it's better to be sold out than half empty" in this article which also says the capacity would stay about 15000.

So yeah to my eye they're not even proposing to carry out the degree of capacity expansion the government has planned. Just giving the existing capacity better seating.

If they go another round, hopefully they focus more on plans for growing the actual stadium instead of how great their profit-making assets outside it will be. After all, it's capacity that's going to get this city more cricket and maybe eventually an AFL team of our own.

Last edited:
I'm holding out hope they bring us in with Tassie as a 20th team. Won't be in the next decade but with a regional population nearly as large as Gold Coast, the highest incomes in the country, an economy larger than Tasmania's and a Territory government always willing to provide direct cash and concessional land grants to elite sport... we're the next most logical place for a team after Tasmania.

20 teams actually starts to even the fixture out again - only three double-ups is less of a distortion than 5 is (and actually 7 was probably better than 5 too).

I'm holding out hope they bring us in with Tassie as a 20th team. Won't be in the next decade but with a regional population nearly as large as Gold Coast, the highest incomes in the country, an economy larger than Tasmania's and a Territory government always willing to provide direct cash and concessional land grants to elite sport... we're the next most logical place for a team after Tasmania.

20 teams actually starts to even the fixture out again - only three double-ups is less of a distortion than 5 is (and actually 7 was probably better than 5 too).
Yeah, only way I can see it as well. Reckon Tassie and WA3 will be most likely to join in by about 2030-ish. Hopefully by then the talent pool is a bit bigger otherwise I think we won't see this expansion until 2040 but knowing the AFL they'd do it sooner rather then waiting for an appropriate time.

If Canberra were to get an AFL team they need a indoor stadium, Canberra is freezing, many games would be affected by weather, which affects the crowd.

Therefore IMO they will never get a team as a indoor stadium will never eventuate.

Manuka is a lovely ground and they will always get a couple of games a year, which makes sense as there is a fair amount of support for the game but to go that extra few steps is beyond Canberra.

If Canberra were to get an AFL team they need a indoor stadium, Canberra is freezing, many games would be affected by weather, which affects the crowd.

Therefore IMO they will never get a team as a indoor stadium will never eventuate.

Manuka is a lovely ground and they will always get a couple of games a year, which makes sense as there is a fair amount of support for the game but to go that extra few steps is beyond Canberra.
Or, you know, just wear a decent jacket like they do in Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back