Marc Murphy ***(MB Thread)***

Remove this Banner Ad

Bobby Giovanni

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2004
Bomber’s place
AFL Club
Geelong
So I log on this morning, expecting a barrage of threads about Marc Murphy's blatant diving and rolling around on the ground like he had been shot last night, but so far I have found nothing. Nobody questioning how soft he is. Nobody questioning him diving with any contact.

And that comes as a shock, as every time I have seen him play live, he has spent extended periods of time rolling around on the ground from seemingly innocuous contact, so he's either (a) playing for free kicks or (b) has the lowest pain threshold known to man and modern science.

So I'd just like to know why he escapes criticism, whereas Joel Selwood cops the 'soft, playing for frees' tag week after week. Is it just because he plays for Geelong, or is it just the fact that selected Hawks fans start the same predictable threads week after week?

(For the record: I have seen every single game Joel Selwood has played, and cannot think of one single passage of play where he fliched or rolled around like Murphy did last night, yet the vitriole directed towards Selwood consistently astounds me.)

SO WHERE ARE ALL THE THREADS?

Re: Marc Murphy

So I log on this morning, expecting a barrage of threads about Marc Murphy's blatant diving and rolling around on the ground like he had been shot last night, but so far I have found nothing. Nobody questioning how soft he is. Nobody questioning him diving with any contact.

And that comes as a shock, as every time I have seen him play live, he has spent extended periods of time rolling around on the ground from seemingly innocuous contact, so he's either (a) playing for free kicks or (b) has the lowest pain threshold known to man and modern science.

So I'd just like to know why he escapes criticism, whereas Joel Selwood cops the 'soft, playing for frees' tag week after week. Is it just because he plays for Geelong, or is it just the fact that selected Hawks fans start the same predictable threads week after week?

(For the record: I have seen every single game Joel Selwood has played, and cannot think of one single passage of play where he fliched or rolled around like Murphy did last night, yet the vitriole directed towards Selwood consistently astounds me.)

Both!

He said in his post match interview on national TV that he was embarassed at not being able to get up sooner.

It was a simple case of being winded, which can happen to anyone.

Not that my opinion isn't biased, but I actually think he's been pretty tough over the journey. Players from opposition clubs love to work him over, but maybe they should start putting some more astute tactical work into him because he stands shoulder to shoulder with Judd as our best player this year.

Lets not forget Daniel Kerr is a very tough man and maybe he was actually winded, he did take a while to get up even when he knew he didnt win the free kick, and was hunched over even as the play started. So instead of starting stupid threads maybe you should talk about how good of a game he played last night

Seen every game :confused::confused:..... so don't play the game yourself ???

Many players try and fleece frees, some do it very well like Joel Selwood where it's not so much acting, but anticipating, like dropping your knees slightly that turns a legal tackle into a high one. Mc Glynn at Hawthorn is also pretty good at this. However, others attend The Daniel Pratt School of Acting, where they learn true staging, like Murphy.

Murhpy's disposal is truely sublime at times. Hitting Fevola lace out with a 40m spear pass over the top of 2 wet coke payers is why fans flock to the footy. sensational stuff.

Murhpy's disposal is truely sublime at times. Hitting Fevola lace out with a 40m spear pass over the top of 2 wet coke payers is why fans flock to the footy. sensational stuff.

One swallow does not make a summer.

Didn't see last night's game but this is the second thread on the subject. Surprised TBH.

Christ, Murphy is one of the few at Carlton I wouldn't label 'soft'. If he's turned then I'd say it's a product of his environment,

I hate Carlton but honestly this is crap

Murphy apart from approaching elite is a guenuinely tough footballer, v much head over the ball. V much like Selwood who is the only young midfielder in the comp who clearly shades Murphy as a player. Last night Murphy was winded by a hit to the solar plexus he didnt see coming, no staging there.

I suggest its only D/heads with not much idea who would try and bag either player. It would seem you are probably one of that group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate Carlton but honestly this is crap

Murphy apart from approaching elite is a guenuinely tough footballer, v much head over the ball. V much like Selwood who is the only young midfielder in the comp who clearly shades Murphy as a player. Last night Murphy was winded by a hit to the solar plexus he didnt see coming, no staging there.

I suggest its only D/heads with not much idea who would try and bag either player. It would seem you are probably one of that group.

i cant i belive im agreeing with an collingwood player.. yep 11 contested possies = soft as they get

Should of made him my captain in DT, Gibbs what happened?

I didn't pick up any of the big guns in the midfield this year in dream team and murph has been my captain everyweek, only let me down once i think but other than that his a pretty good captain, must be averaging a 100 which is a must for captain

10009178.JPG

Becoming a habit with him. Made me cringe watching him rolling around with his big puppy dog eyes firmly planted on the umpire in the process.

Tries to handball to take the attention off how one sided he is (a one side that isn't particularly good either).

After Murphy got hit, he stayed on the ground for a good 30 seconds, then in the hands on the trainers for another 30 seconds, while West Coast took the ball and went the opposite direction.

If he was staging, he took it to a completely new extreme.

Or, he just got winded.

If Selwood gets criticised its because of his lopsided free kick count (something like 20 for, 3 against). And frustration because even though he plays for the top team in the league, he's a far better young player than most teams have at the moment.

One swallow does not make a summer.

Didn't see last night's game but this is the second thread on the subject. Surprised TBH.

Christ, Murphy is one of the few at Carlton I wouldn't label 'soft'. If he's turned then I'd say it's a product of his environment,

Thats 100% Correct JD ( and NO he hasnt turned!). These threads are only coming about because Murphy is playing great footy this year and being targeted off the ball and before the start of matches by opposition players to try and put him off his game. Needless to say it isnt working and this treatment is from the opposition is a compliment to how well he is doing this year.

It is all jelousy as the trolls have nothing else to pick on with him :eek:

Keep it up flogs as there isnt a team he wouldnt walk straight into the best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Marc Murphy ***(MB Thread)***

Remove this Banner Ad

Back