?Marc Murphy question?

Remove this Banner Ad

PIEd

Senior List
Jun 27, 2007
MElbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey, just a quick question. I reckon Murph a an awesome player and would love him over at the pies, but i just wanna ask a serious question. Does he ever have an opponent play on him? this isn't a critisism of him at all, but i am just curious, because from what i see, he rarely has an opponent pay him close attention. Which is silly, because he is tearing teams apart recently.... especially when he drifts forward.

Hey, just a quick question. I reckon Murph a an awesome player and would love him over at the pies, but i just wanna ask a serious question. Does he ever have an opponent play on him? this isn't a critisism of him at all, but i am just curious, because from what i see, he rarely has an opponent pay him close attention. Which is silly, because he is tearing teams apart recently.... especially when he drifts forward.

Dane Swan board............

relax carlton supporters.... how come when someone asks a question you all get defensive and assume we are bagging your players!!! he clearly is very good at getting his own space, which explains why it looks like he has no player tag him. lets not compare him to swan yet..... not yet

Fair question.

I think its just that his overall conditioning and work capacity has increased considerably. He is able to find more of his own ball, and be more damaging, than his opponents now.

Having Judd also helps a tiny bit =p

Very good question OP -
and after watching him today, he simply runs blokes off their legs,
still goes and gets his own pill, and he is only 3 foot 7.

reminds me run wise of Roo Harvey, in that he plays hard inside,
but has the classy finishing skills (which he has worked on)

Don't worry he can play, and has exceptional footy smarts.
Personally, reckon Harvey has been a huge influence.

relax carlton supporters.... how come when someone asks a question you all get defensive and assume we are bagging your players!!! he clearly is very good at getting his own space, which explains why it looks like he has no player tag him. lets not compare him to swan yet..... not yet

Murph has about 4-5x the talent of Swan. Swan's a junk-stat plodder in career best form who most teams don't bother to tag. :)

Kornes was on him at one stage today as was Cassisi. Burgoyne too had a go and even drove him into the ground whilst pinning his arms behind his back. Pretty cheap tactic. (Think it was Burgoyne...)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbsys first halfs are also causing the opposition a bit of grief, they start with their best taggers on judd and murphs, then try to cover gibbs who by that stage it well into the game so the tags dont seem to bother him allowing murphs to run riot while they try and stop judd and gibbs.

hadleys also causing problems getting his hands on the footy at stopages, meaning the blokes trying to stop the other three get drawn to him allowing their opponents to get free.

simple really. our mids are finally starting to work harder for each other. :thumbsu:

Hadley has been great since coming back into the side..he gets better each game ...he was awesome against Port, he seems to get his hands on the ball first and has the ability to feed it out to our runners...very important for us going forward .

Does he ever have an opponent play on him?
His work-rate is pushing towards elite, and that makes it difficult for opponents to stay with him - a bit like your own Dane Swan this year. Murphy also has the smarts to be in dangerous places and the guts to sit under the ball when he has to. That's a great combination.

Gibbsys first halfs are also causing the opposition a bit of grief, they start with their best taggers on judd and murphs, then try to cover gibbs who by that stage it well into the game so the tags dont seem to bother him allowing murphs to run riot while they try and stop judd and gibbs.

hadleys also causing problems getting his hands on the footy at stopages, meaning the blokes trying to stop the other three get drawn to him allowing their opponents to get free.

simple really. our mids are finally starting to work harder for each other. :thumbsu:
Great analysis, agree with all of that:thumbsu:

he has the best #breaks' in the game.
So often he is running full pace either with the ball or chasing it down and then puts the breaks on and watches players drift by...

He creates space for himself and used it so well.
Also running into the right spaces and should end up with 30+ goals from a mid - amazing!

Will poll very well in the brownlow :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Got to say I've asked the same question myself of Murph, and it's interesting that someone has drawn comparisons with Dane Swan because that's probably correct

Think he's just very elusive at creating space and he's one of those players who has the knack of going where the ball is going to go and perhaps getting his opponent "off guard." There may come a time when he's watched as closely as Judd.

Murph is a very clever player

Remove this Banner Ad

?Marc Murphy question?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back