Marco Rodriguez, referee that gave Cahill red, dishes out ANOTHER ridiculous red card

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Antonio_Rodríguez

Chilean player running in the opposite direction to Torres, accidentally nips Torres heel whilst not even looking at him, Torres dives as though he'd been shot in the leg, spain score in the meantime (good goal), referee sends player off (not sure if second yellow or straight red).

Marco Rodriguesz - notorious for his affiliation with the red.

Either way, it was a free kick at most, but sending him off for that was absolutely ridiculous. Youtube video will eventually come about and show how ridiculous this sending off was. If I was Chilean, I'd be furious

marco-rodriguez.jpg

_41796294_redcard_getty.jpg

and you just know fifa will select him for the knockout stages

this is why video appealing should be brought in... chile could've appealed and the powers that be could've seen it was completely unintentional, and chile could at least play the rest of the game on even terms

At some point in the first half he had given 15/20 freekicks Spains way

Torres going for the 'dive' of the tourney award. Trying to beat out De Rossi with that one. Awaiting the .gif of the shot from the grassy knoll that takes him out.

PS...That ref is a disgrace. Basically sums the officiating of this world cup up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chilean player running in the opposite direction to Torres, accidentally nips Torres heel whilst not even looking at him, Torres dives as though he'd been shot in the leg

Agree it shouldn't have been a yellow, but only because the ref couldn't know if it was intentional or not. It was definitely convenient to clip him and the Chilean doesn't need to be looking straight at Torres to know what he's doing.

There's nothing wrong with Torres going down. Ever had your foot clipped against your leg while you're in full sprint? You have no chance of keeping your balance and by the way Torres goes down you can clearly see he's being fouled.

Dramoth said:
Was there even contact?

Look at Torres. Now go outside, start running and try to kick the back of your left leg with your right foot while in full sprint. Good luck :).

Look at Torres. Now go outside, start running and try to kick the back of your left leg with your right foot while in full sprint. Good luck :).
as legend166 posted on another thread

the art takes skill but it can be done (but in truth, he got unbalanced and tripped himself)

1277496422531i1sy.gif

Don't believe any of that. And why would Torres want to go down anyway? He was about to appear completely alone in front of goal.

The contact is clearly there, you can tell just by looking at the Chilean who also slightly loses his balance.

Don't believe any of that. And why would Torres want to go down anyway? He was about to appear completely alone in front of goal.

The contact is clearly there, you can tell just by looking at the Chilean who also slightly loses his balance.

if both loses balance as a result of incidental contact, then shouldn't it be just play-on?

if both loses balance as a result of incidental contact, then shouldn't it be just play-on?

We don't know if it was incidental, but yeah, in an ideal world... I've clipped players and made it look unintentional at all though - there is a grey area and it's very hard for a ref to judge correctly. The least you can say is that was very convenient for the Chilean, who was late and failed to properly mark Torres, to clip him.

And aren't they consistently giving penalties/free kicks for unintentional handballs nowadays?

But my point here is that Torres clearly gets fouled and didn't dive.

Nope - if you foul a player accidently, it's still a foul. By foul, I mean take his legs, etc. You are legitimately allowed to make shoulder and body contact (within some limits - no charging, etc), and you can knock your opponent over 'incidentally' doing this.

But take his legs - foul, whether accident or not. Clumsiness is not a defence.

We don't know if it was incidental, but yeah, in an ideal world... I've clipped players and made it look unintentional at all though - there is a grey area and it's very hard for a ref to judge correctly. The least you can say is that was very convenient for the Chilean, who was late and failed to properly mark Torres, to clip him.

And aren't they consistently giving penalties/free kicks for unintentional handballs nowadays?

But my point here is that Torres clearly gets fouled and didn't dive.

Probably the worst post on this board so far this WC.

I think contact was there but Torres made a meal of it.

Extremely disappointed more players (especially one of my favourites) is sinking to the levels this world cup is producing.

I was watching this last night and gotta say, im steaming. The ref didnt even see the player go down yet he still called it! How can you call something you didnt see!!! basic umpiring!
Whats stopping all the other players from taking random dives in the box and being awarded a penalty just coz they squirmed on the ground like a sisi for 5min?

On another note, my dad says this ref is know as "The vampire" in mexico due to his appearance and that he is a bloke that loves the spotlight and controlling matches with his controversiality.:thumbsdown:

If he meant to get his knee coming through at the exact instant that Torres' right foot was coming back and hit it enough to get Torres to clip his left foot with his right and trip himself over, all without not looking at him, then this guy is my new hero.

There is absolutely no way, looking at that footage, the Chilean could have meant that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back