Toast Marcus Bontempelli - 200 games well worth celebrating

Remove this Banner Ad

geoffjennings79

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 4, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is he the greatest Bulldog ever? Does it matter? Personally, we've all been fortunate to watch this guy do his thing for 199 games so far. In the FB post from the club where a bunch of captains lauded and congratulated him (Johnson, Boyd, Murphy, Darcy, Wood, Hawkins), Dougie says he can't remember a better 200 games. Hard to argue, as few others were so accomplished and integral from such an early point in their career.

(They also left out in the image on the right below: youngest player to lead his team out as captain, robbed of 2014 RS, and close to BOG in 2016 GF.)

343603804_2001015150246051_6131834993274215981_n.jpg
343752941_718672273391314_5903623524434972200_n.jpg

Fantastic career to date Marcus, but you, and we, know there is so much more to be achieved.

Go well tomorrow, we'll be right behind you.

GO BONT! GO DOGS! Woof, woof, woof!!! :bulldogs::largeredcircle::mwcirlce::largebluecircle:

The AFLCA are much more prestigious than the RS which time and time again the same teams win.

What I don’t like is the snubs by the media, they don’t like Bevo, we get it, but Bont is his own person. Anyway Bulldog people love him, his opponents respect and admire him, and true footy fans admire him too.

For the fetishists among us, is a bearded, buzz-cut Bont a finer sight than a headbanded Bont, or a long-locked top-knot/bun-wielding Bont?

And when (if?) the chest art is finally revealed, will it make him more/less attractive desirable endearing?!

(Hope I'm not encroaching on Scrag's erotic writing genre!)

Aside from the many videos and commentary around the great man this week, I feel his performance in the 2021 grand final will always be forgetten.

Like most, I have never gone back and watched highlights of that game, but the way he courageously put the team on his back and got us into a winning position I feel is one of his great performances. Can still picture him going back with the flight and kicking those 2 clutch goals. Aside from the disastrous 45 minutes that followed, he was destined to become a premiership skipper and Norm Smith medalist! It’s a great shame that this performance carries no significance, but hopefully he can replicate this again!

Go well Bont!

Aside from the many videos and commentary around the great man this week, I feel his performance in the 2021 grand final will always be forgetten.

Like most, I have never gone back and watched highlights of that game, but the way he courageously put the team on his back and got us into a winning position I feel is one of his great performances. Can still picture him going back with the flight and kicking those 2 clutch goals. Aside from the disastrous 45 minutes that followed, he was destined to become a premiership skipper and Norm Smith medalist! It’s a great shame that this performance carries no significance, but hopefully he can replicate this again!

Go well Bont!
I’ve not forgotten it and just remember how important those captains goals were. I think he kicked 3? And a couple were those set shots from a tricky distance with everything riding on them and literally the whole football world watching. Another chance is coming in his career.

I'm nearly 50 and Bont is the best I've seen which takes in Hawkins and Grant.
I say this and I didn't think I'd ever see a player like Hawkins again...
I'm not overstating it when I say that we are witnessing an all-time great in Bont.
Cherish the time and moments we have with Bont because players like him are once in 50 years types...without doubt the best in the comp and he's ours, all ours!

I’ve not forgotten it and just remember how important those captains goals were. I think he kicked 3? And a couple were those set shots from a tricky distance with everything riding on them and literally the whole football world watching. Another chance is coming in his career.
Part of the reason there's so little fanfare over the Bont is that he is always so understated. He doesn't mind a fist pump or two but he's not flamboyant in either his celebrations or his game style (just clinically effective). He's also not the most exciting bloke to interview and there's never any controversy you could pin on him. Compare that to the charismatic style and good looks of Ted Whitten Sr, the bloke he threatens to surpass ("give it all the guts and determination you've got!", "we stuck it up 'em!").

So I think the media are a bit meh with him. Keen, fair-minded neutrals however have been taking note and no doubt more recognition will eventually come.

Congrats Bont. Go you good thing!

For the fetishists among us, is a bearded, buzz-cut Bont a finer sight than a headbanded Bont, or a long-locked top-knot/bun-wielding Bont?

And when (if?) the chest art is finally revealed, will it make him more/less attractive desirable endearing?!

(Hope I'm not encroaching on Scrag's erotic writing genre!)
Todays hair is best and I’m far more interested in knowing the texture, rather than the picture, of the tatts

He’s been in the short list for best player in the comp for at least 5 years. Witnessing greatness. Savour the 100-150 games we have left.
He only turns 28 at the end of the year. I'd be disappointed if he only plays 100 more. I can see mid 30s Bont playing out of the square, blocking for JUH and Naughton, kicking a few himself, then wandering down to half back in short bursts to tighten up the defence. And occasionally winding back the clock by attending the odd CBA and waltzing away with a clearance while oppo mids are left grasping at air.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember early days he played a cracker of a game and went to the fence where his mum and dad were waiting. His dad was fully crying with tears of pride and Bont went up and buried his head in his chest and gave them both a massive hug. A completely authentic and beautiful feeling of connection and love. I felt so much joy in that moment.

I remember that vision regularly more than any other and that is the lense I view him through. A wonderful footballer and a real human being.

What an absolute pleasure it's been watching this blokes career. Sits so comfortably now with our other greats EJ, Hawk, Grant and Johnno etc that we might just be watching The Bont inch past those legends. Certainly a 2nd flag at some stage and potentially being AA captain this year cements his Bulldogs GOAT status.

Congrats Bont!

i go back a long way. The best I have seen are:

Ted Whittem although only seen him from 1961
John Schultz
Gary Dempsey
Bernie Quinlan
Kelvin Templeton
Doug Hawkins
Chris Grant
Scott West
Brad Johnson
The Bont

best 3
The Bont
Chris Grant
Doug Hawkins

Missed some EJ's best years and Bernie went to the lions where he his brownlow and kicked 100 goals

i go back a long way. The best I have seen are:

Ted Whittem although only seen him from 1961
John Schultz
Gary Dempsey
Bernie Quinlan
Kelvin Templeton
Doug Hawkins
Chris Grant
Scott West
Brad Johnson
The Bont

best 3
The Bont
Chris Grant
Doug Hawkins

Missed some EJ's best years and Bernie went to the lions where he his brownlow and kicked 100 goals
My father did national service with EJ and has always said he was the best player our club has ever had. Now he is not so sure. From my Dad that's a huge concession - he is 87 years of age and was a friend of the late EJ but idolizes Marcus Bontempelli. The Bont is the best Bulldogs player I've ever seen play. Of that I'm certain. We are watching greatness folks.

Last edited:
I've always found it unfair to the opposition that whenever we have a game in the wet he gets to play with a dry ball.

That game away v Port a few years ago sticks with me. Pissing down with rain, people fumbling the ball at every contest and suddenly Bont charges at the ball, smooth pick up and disposal without a hint of a fumble. He was about 5 classes about everyone else on the field, it was one of the best quarters I can recall anyone playing because he just stood out that much.

It’s been an absolute pleasure to watch his career and I can’t wait to see the next 200.

Having followed the Dogs for over 50 years, Chris Grant was the best Doggies player I had seen.

200 games later though he will always be a Doggies legend the Bont is now the best dogs player I have seen and am looking forward to seeing him run out in his 200th tomorrow

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back