Injury Marcus Drum - ankle surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, and I also agree with PO that Scott will be objective.
But if come the end of the season Drum hasn't cracked into the senior side I reckon he will go.

There might be a discussion such as "we haven't seen what he can do yet, he hasn't had the chance. Lets give him another year" To which Scott may say "I've seen enough previously"

I really want him to get a game. But there is no doubting his back is to the wall now.

Objectivity's not going to save him. Years in the system x games played x injuries sustained = objective, and it's not looking good.

Given that Scott had 2 years with Drum at Freo, he probably has a better informed opinion on Drum than anyone at Geelong.

In all likelihood, Scott had made up his mind about whether or not Drum is a keeper before he set foot in KP.

No he wouldn't have, and even if he had, my point is that as the coach now, Scott will put said previous opinion to one side and make a judgement about Drum's future purely based on his on and off field performance this year (including medical issues, attitude etc). As I said, if he's worth his salt, which I suspect he is, he's not going to make a hypocrite out of himself by on the one hand saying 'i'm the new coach, everyone starts at 0, level playing field, you all have to prove yourself etc' and on the other deciding Drum's gone before he even starts. He's got more credibility than that.

Don't get me wrong, he may cut Drum, but he'll make that decision based on what Drum gives him from now until the end of the year. I'd be very disappointed in him as a coach if he'd pre judged the decision, and I'm sure he hasn't...like I said, it'll be an objective call based on what happens this year.

Not to be harsh PO, but based on exactly what evidence do you think he would be a candidate for senior selection?

Has played 22 games for the shockers (many of which were at the tail end of a dissapointing freo career designed to improve his trade value) and played 3 rather non-descript VFL games last year.

I hope he can prove me wrong, but the jury is still most definitely out on Drum. Hopefully the injury heals well and he comes back to play the best footy of his life though!

Because I've actually seen him play some good footy. Played some great games at Freo, albeit he was too inconsistent, in fact even get a copy of his last game before us (rnd 22 09) and it was good. And he was bloody good for us early last year before the injuries set in. I distinctly recall watching a practice match live where he had the better of one Chris Dawes. And keep in mind Balme said he'd have played seniors if he wasn't injured, and I reckon he'd have played early this year for that reason, if he'd stayed on the park (which is maybe why they tried to avoid surgery even though it's backfired)...Lonners must be happy. It's only my opinion, but he's definitely got the talent, but there are question marks over the body, and there'd have to be question marks over the mind as this sort of run tests anyone's self confidence and mental resilience, and who knows whether he's tough enough to overcome that.

No he wouldn't have, and even if he had, my point is that as the coach now, Scott will put said previous opinion to one side and make a judgement about Drum's future purely based on his on and off field performance this year (including medical issues, attitude etc). As I said, if he's worth his salt, which I suspect he is, he's not going to make a hypocrite out of himself by on the one hand saying 'i'm the new coach, everyone starts at 0, level playing field, you all have to prove yourself etc' and on the other deciding Drum's gone before he even starts. He's got more credibility than that.

Don't get me wrong, he may cut Drum, but he'll make that decision based on what Drum gives him from now until the end of the year. I'd be very disappointed in him as a coach if he'd pre judged the decision, and I'm sure he hasn't...like I said, it'll be an objective call based on what happens this year.

Here is my point:

Drum has had ZERO on field impact at Geelong. Not his fault, injuries suck and all, but a few VFL games mean nothing.

Scott has seen up close what Drum can or cannot do during his time at Freo. It would be naive to think that this would not come into his calculations when the day of reckoning comes for Drum.

Given that no-one at Geelong has seen anything from Drum on-field, Scott's Freo knowledge will probably be the best information we have to work on when making a decision on his future.

The fact that Scott has seen more of him may be the only reason he is kept on, because no-one else at Geelong really has anything to go on when deciding whether or not he is up to it.

Because I've actually seen him play some good footy. Played some great games at Freo, albeit he was too inconsistent, in fact even get a copy of his last game before us (rnd 22 09) and it was good. And he was bloody good for us early last year before the injuries set in. I distinctly recall watching a practice match live where he had the better of one Chris Dawes. And keep in mind Balme said he'd have played seniors if he wasn't injured, and I reckon he'd have played early this year for that reason, if he'd stayed on the park (which is maybe why they tried to avoid surgery even though it's backfired)...Lonners must be happy. It's only my opinion, but he's definitely got the talent, but there are question marks over the body, and there'd have to be question marks over the mind as this sort of run tests anyone's self confidence and mental resilience, and who knows whether he's tough enough to overcome that.

Ill take your word for it PO because i have never really seen or heard much of any of his performances. I don't think Lonners should be worried about anything though - he performed well last year and judging by Drums' output over his career Lonners clearly outranks him in the key position defensive stakes.

Anyways, all chalk and cheese - lets just hope Drum gets out on the track and starts performing. Would be great to see him realise the potential he has been talked up for.

Here is my point:

Drum has had ZERO on field impact at Geelong. Not his fault, injuries suck and all, but a few VFL games mean nothing.

Scott has seen up close what Drum can or cannot do during his time at Freo. It would be naive to think that this would not come into his calculations when the day of reckoning comes for Drum.

Given that no-one at Geelong has seen anything from Drum on-field, Scott's Freo knowledge will probably be the best information we have to work on when making a decision on his future.

The fact that Scott has seen more of him may be the only reason he is kept on, because no-one else at Geelong really has anything to go on when deciding whether or not he is up to it.

I agree mostly with your post, however the bit I quoted is the important bit given I was responding largely to your opinion that "In all likelihood, Scott had made up his mind about whether or not Drum is a keeper before he set foot in KP" which I disagree with. As I said, Scott is too professional to be like that, and he will consider it objectively, so no doubt some of his previous knowledge will be a factor, but the decision isn't made yet, and when it is made, it will be a combination of that prior knowledge, as well as what Drum shows Scott this year. Given his major question mark to this point in his 6 years is durability, I would suggest to you that the latter will be a more determinative factor than the former. I could be wrong, but that's just what I reckon.

No doubt Drum is in some danger if he can't get on the park (he would know that himself no doubt) but he has time to turn it around...if he plays a whole lot of games this year from here on in that will be far more likely to determine his future than what Scott does or doesn't think based on his time at Freo. Scott will definitely have an open mind at this point and won't have made a call yet.

Ill take your word for it PO because i have never really seen or heard much of any of his performances. I don't think Lonners should be worried about anything though - he performed well last year and judging by Drums' output over his career Lonners clearly outranks him in the key position defensive stakes.

Anyways, all chalk and cheese - lets just hope Drum gets out on the track and starts performing. Would be great to see him realise the potential he has been talked up for.

Thing is, I had info that they were looking at him playing up forward!! Unfortunately for Marcus another injury has interrupted his preparation and now he's behind the 8-ball again.

Very very unfortunate for the bloke. I hope he gets his chance.....

None of us really know what we are missing with Drum, so when/if he makes it for a senior game, it'll be a bonus. Similar to Brown, hardly any regular supporters know what they have to offer.

Thing is, I had info that they were looking at him playing up forward!! Unfortunately for Marcus another injury has interrupted his preparation and now he's behind the 8-ball again.

Very very unfortunate for the bloke. I hope he gets his chance.....

Interesting to hear that. One one hand it makes sense because he's played some good games as a forward for Freo. On the other that's where we have the greatest competition for spots, so unless they're planning to move someone somewhere else, or drop a tall (unlikely) then I can't see how he'd fit in.

I still reckon if he gets games they'll be down back because that's where the opportunities will be.

The good news is he'll be back at the end of march, so a good month in the VFL and I reckon he can get in by around round 6 ish, well I hope anyway.

You and me both PO...the kid deserves a break.

BTW...the forward idea surprised me too. I didn't know he had ever played up forward, and like you, don't see where he would fit. Maybe Scott is just looking for versatility and trying things out of left field at this stage of the preparation?

Whatever, I hope Marcus gets fit and ready. He has talent from all reports.

Interesting to hear that. One one hand it makes sense because he's played some good games as a forward for Freo. On the other that's where we have the greatest competition for spots, so unless they're planning to move someone somewhere else, or drop a tall (unlikely) then I can't see how he'd fit in.

I still reckon if he gets games they'll be down back because that's where the opportunities will be.

The good news is he'll be back at the end of march, so a good month in the VFL and I reckon he can get in by around round 6 ish, well I hope anyway.

I don't know why i'm so negative when it comes to Drum PO,of cause there are opportunities all over the ground if you are good enough,but lets have a quick look down back.
At the the moment I have 10 players a head of Marcus.
Scarlett
Taylor
Mackie
Enright
Wojo
Milburn
J.Hunt
T.Hunt
Lonergan
Gillies
And may be there's even another Smokey in the pack.(hope so).
No good talking 2012 I'll go early won't play this year and won't be there next year.And it gives me no pleasure to say that.:(

He does, but neither should be in the running for a key defensive post anyway. We've already got two - Scarlett and Taylor - who are clearly our best options there.

If Drum or Lonergan are in competition for a spot, it's as the third tall. Given the other guys that are in the running, that would be tough enough, even without injury.

Here is my point:

Hate to say this, but I agree. I'd like to see what Drum has to offer, but so far he hasn't demonstrated anything to show he deserves a game in our senior side. Not yet anyway.

This is my preferred backline for Round 1, assuming everyone is fit and in form:

B: J.Hunt Scarlett Wocjinski
HB: T.Hunt Taylor Enright

I'm line ball on Josh Hunt, then you've got Milburn, Lonergan, Mackie and perhaps Gillies too. We know James Kelly can handle a back pocket if required.

I just think he has to show a lot more before he can get near a senior spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If and when he does get fit, strings some solid performances together at VFL level and indicates to everyone why he was a top 10 draft pick then there will be opportunities no question. I think that's the essence of the discussion. With Milburn on the way out, Lonners being a borderline spud and scarlo with not long left he will walk into that side IF things work out. From reports he may even play up forward which could be interesting.. At the moment it's very cloudy though which is disappointing but most who have done a little research know that there's something there worth looking at if he can get on the park

Lol well now that Drum is on the sidelines for a while, he will have the opportunity to lift his game. But lets not turn this into another lonergan vs Taylor / Drum comparison thread. Harry Taylors record speaks for itself.

Hate to say this, but I agree. I'd like to see what Drum has to offer, but so far he hasn't demonstrated anything to show he deserves a game in our senior side. Not yet anyway.

This is my preferred backline for Round 1, assuming everyone is fit and in form:

B: J.Hunt Scarlett Wocjinski
HB: T.Hunt Taylor Enright

I'm line ball on Josh Hunt, then you've got Milburn, Lonergan, Mackie and perhaps Gillies too. We know James Kelly can handle a back pocket if required.

I just think he has to show a lot more before he can get near a senior spot.

Don't mind that back line Partridge I'd have Lonergan for Josh simple because its the Saints and they will go tall up front.

Would really like to see us be more flexible at selection this year and pick our side after considering the oppositions perceived strengths and weaknesses.

I thought last year we just rolled out the same 22 where ever possible regardless.

Also like to see Mackie come back hard this year be a real bonus.

You and me both PO...the kid deserves a break.

BTW...the forward idea surprised me too. I didn't know he had ever played up forward, and like you, don't see where he would fit. Maybe Scott is just looking for versatility and trying things out of left field at this stage of the preparation?

Whatever, I hope Marcus gets fit and ready. He has talent from all reports.

He kicked 4 goals in a match for Freo once as I remember. (was good for them early on in his career).

I can't see him fitting in the forward line unless Chapman becomes a full time midfielder, and Stokes and Byrnes get punted, and even then you'd probably try and play Menzel Duncan and Motlop there first I'd suggest. Good to have options though.

I still reckon down back is the go for him, at their age Scarlo and Milburn won't play every game, and JHunt and Lonergan are far from locks, so if he gets in that's where it'll be.

We'll get an idea I suppose from where exactly Amos uses him when he comes back.

I hope the kid makes it, I haven't given up on him yet because I know he's got talent.

I don't know why i'm so negative when it comes to Drum PO,of cause there are opportunities all over the ground if you are good enough,but lets have a quick look down back.
At the the moment I have 10 players a head of Marcus.
Scarlett
Taylor
Mackie
Enright
Wojo
Milburn
J.Hunt
T.Hunt
Lonergan
Gillies
And may be there's even another Smokey in the pack.(hope so).
No good talking 2012 I'll go early won't play this year and won't be there next year.And it gives me no pleasure to say that.:(

I wouldn't worry...the reality is Milburn will be retiring at the end of the year and Scarlett is post 30, we don't have a lot of depth in key defenders, so there's chances there for Drum and Gillies if they are good enough. In fact unless Mackie decides he wants to work hard enough defensively to be considered a semi tall, we have only 5 guys who can play tall at the back, Scarlo Taylor Lonergan Drum and Gillies, so that's not many in the context of list size thesedays.

Lonergan has had a good year and probably deserves to play round 1, however because he can't use the footy much, and can only play on a particular player type, he delivers us a certain degree of inflexibility in our setups IMO (which only magnifies with the reduction down to 21 players). My prediction is that he'll be the player we sub off for the sub player in a lot of games this year, he's the logical tall to go.

Henceforth the opportunity is there for Drum or Gillies to push through as the third tall defender, who unlike Lonergan, is flexible enough to play tall or medium/small, and use the ball well in transition...they should be aiming to do that, and if they do they'll play, you can mark my words.

I wouldn't worry...the reality is Milburn will be retiring at the end of the year and Scarlett is post 30, we don't have a lot of depth in key defenders, so there's chances there for Drum and Gillies if they are good enough. In fact unless Mackie decides he wants to work hard enough defensively to be considered a semi tall, we have only 5 guys who can play tall at the back, Scarlo Taylor Lonergan Drum and Gillies, so that's not many in the context of list size thesedays.

Lonergan has had a good year and probably deserves to play round 1, however because he can't use the footy much, and can only play on a particular player type, he delivers us a certain degree of inflexibility in our setups IMO (which only magnifies with the reduction down to 21 players). My prediction is that he'll be the player we sub off for the sub player in a lot of games this year, he's the logical tall to go.

Henceforth the opportunity is there for Drum or Gillies to push through as the third tall defender, who unlike Lonergan, is flexible enough to play tall or medium/small, and use the ball well in transition...they should be aiming to do that, and if they do they'll play, you can mark my words.

Mackie's a semi tall 92cm, Drums a tall 91 cm.

Is your day job the federal treasurer P.O:D

Mackie's a semi tall 92cm, Drums a tall 91 cm.

Is your day job the federal treasurer P.O:D

Tall is not determined solely by height, it's determined by whether the player plays tall or not. As I said, Mackie could on height terms play tall sometimes, but he doesn't play that way, and probably never will.

Drum on the other hand does play 'tall' roles so it's not a stretch to call him that even at 191. Keep in mind Gillies and Scarlett are only 192. It's not solely about height, it's about whether you play tall or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Marcus Drum - ankle surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back