Maria Sharapova announces positive drug test

Remove this Banner Ad

And warned 5 times. It beggars belief you could just not bother with checking into that stuff when millions and millions of dollars of your livliehood depend on it.

exactly.

what's more likely?

a) she missed the email and tested positive unaware she had a banned substance in her system.

or

b) she knew it was illegal, took it anyway to gain an advantage with the intention of avoiding the drug test

no but when a rule is the way it is for a long time, and it gets changed i think it's not beyond the realms of possibility that even with notifications that a few people are still unaware. i mean she probably gets 10,000 emails a day. 4 years for a missed email is what i expect to happen in north korea
Nah sorry. Doesn't wash with me. Set up an email address just for WADA then. I guarentee you their emails are more important than the 9,999 other emails she gets a day. Millions of dollars depend on it. And it wasn't just WADA that warned her. She ignored at least 5 attempts we know of.

Don't really care tbh.
Nah sorry. Doesn't wash with me. Set up an email address just for WADA then. I guarentee you their emails are more important than the 9,999 other emails she gets a day. Millions of dollars depend on it. And it wasn't just WADA that warned her. She ignored at least 5 attempts we know of.

tbh lack of understanding from an essendon fan doens't surprise me

And warned 5 times. It beggars belief you could just not bother with checking into that stuff when millions and millions of dollars of your livliehood depend on it.
But if you're in a sport that really really really doesn't want any drug cheats in it, then you make sure that you really really don't actually test all that much. Sharapova is the biggest and most beautiful fish in the pond. No doubt she knew full well that 'tennis' can't lose her, so they're unlikely to test her. Others can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I've read somewhere in the last 48 hours that it was WADA who did the testing for the Australian Open, not ITF.

Well it wont be a back dated penalty to pre 1/1/16 but that will be taken into consideration - but probably not by tennis tribunal that listens to her case first up. A WADA appeal might be the one that picks it up.

So is ASADA presenting the case before the ITF sports tribunal?? The tests were done is Oz so does ASADA have jurisdiction????

Anyway the point of not declaring has come up recently wrt meldonium

http://www.sportsintegrityinitiative.com/meldonium-widespread-use-at-european-games/

More than 70% of the sports contested at the inaugural European Games in 2015 had athletes competing in which meldonium was detected, a new study has found. On Tuesday the British Journal of Sports Medicine(BMSJ) published a study revealing that 13 medallists at the games self-declared taking meldonium, including six gold-medallists.
In a report in which the aim was to ‘estimate the prevalence of meldonium use in athletes’ to contribute to ‘the surveillance of substances on the 2015 WADA Monitoring Program’, the precursor to a substance featuring on the WADA Prohibited List, author Mark Stuart found that there was an ‘alarmingly high prevalence of meldonium use by athletes in sport’.

The 2015 European Games took place between 12 and 28 June 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan, during which time meldonium was only on WADA’s Monitoring Program, on which it was placed on 1 January 2015. During the 2015 European Games, meldonium therefore was not prohibited.
Key findings
– meldonium use was detected in athletes competing in 15 of the 21 sports (71.4%)

– 23 (3%) of the 662 athletes tested self-reported taking the drug, but 66 (8.7%) of athlete samples subsequently analysed tested positive for meldonium.

– by extrapolating the sample athlete population tested, up to 490 of the 5,632 athletes competing at the games may have been taking meldonium, but this is ‘likely to be an overestimate’ (meldonium is registered for medical use in only 7 of the competing countries at the 2015 Games)

– 13 medallists, including 6 gold-medallists, were taking meldonium at the time of the 2015 Games
Under-declaration
One of the more interesting findings in the study was the proportion of athletes in which meldonium was detected after laboratory analysis compared to the number of athletes who self-reported meldonium use at doping-control stations. According to the study, ‘at the time of providing a urine or blood sample at a doping control station, all athletes were asked to declare any medications or nutritional supplements taken during the previous 7 days.’

Only 23 (3%) of the 662 athletes tested self-reported taking the drug, but 66 (8.7%) of athlete urine samples subsequently analysed tested positive for meldonium. This amounts to ‘significant under-declaration of meldonium use by athletes’.

According to the study, such under-declaration ‘raises suspicion that many athletes did not want to let the anti-doping authorities to know about their use of meldonium’, most likely due to the already widespread view that meldonium had the ability to potentially enhance personal performance and shorten the recovery period after physical activity, amounting to a performance-enhancing drug, if not by name at this stage, but by its nature.
Athlete accountability
The under-reporting in itself offers another problem not strictly confined to meldonium; as the study notes, ‘although disclosure of this information is requested, there are currently no penalties under the existing World Anti-Doping Code for failing to do so’. Such observations offer difficult ethical dilemmas for anti-doping authorites trying to strengthen athlete accountability. This is especially relevant where the time taken for some compounds to progress from being suspected of having performance-ehancing properties to being banned by WADA can often be a lengthy process, which takes years to complete, as was the case with meldonium.

The BMSJ study concludes that its findings ‘highlight the excessive and inappropriate use and prescribing of this prescription drug in a generally healthy athlete population’, at a time before the drug was banned by WADA. Even before it was banned in sporting competitions, meldonium has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in the United States, but is registered for medical use in 7 Eastern European that competed in the 2015 Games........

Clinically, meldonium is used to treat restrictions in blood supply to tissues, including conditions such as angina, myocardial infarction and chronic heart failure, as well as being prescribed in some instances for diabetes sufferers.

After Sharapova’s admission to meldonium use, Russia’s Minister for Sport Vitaly Mutko reportedly said the drug was ‘popular among the country’s athletes’, and that he suspected that ‘there could be several more cases’ such as Sharapova’s. ‘This medicine used to be allowed, it does not do anything major, it just helped a lot of people with their recovery times; it did not offer any unfair advantages,’ Mutko told the Russian news agency R-Sport.
http://www.sportsintegrityinitiative.com/meldonium-widespread-use-at-european-games/

CdJ4WFyXEAI18i9.jpg

Wont be asada, the itf run the anti doping program right down to collectors as I understand it. Few years back the french nado tried to muscle in on the French open and the itf resisted, they guard their turf.

no but when a rule is the way it is for a long time, and it gets changed i think it's not beyond the realms of possibility that even with notifications that a few people are still unaware. i mean she probably gets 10,000 emails a day. 4 years for a missed email is what i expect to happen in north korea
Do you see how Sharapova controlled the narrative and called the press conference and talked about her medication and how it's all just a silly misunderstanding because of a single silly email?

Wont be asada, the itf run the anti doping program right down to collectors as I understand it. Few years back the french nado tried to muscle in on the French open and the itf resisted, they guard their turf.
But wouldn't a NADO have to present the case? If its not ASADA turf whose is it? Or are you saying the ITF just have their own prosecutor present the facts for the NADO??

empathy perhaps a better word
She failed a drug test after being warned at least 6 times (yes turns out it was 3 warnings from the ITF, 2 from the WTA in addition to the WADA communique). The only way I might feel empathy for her is if she had in fact stopped taking the drug before it moved to the banned list and she turned up a positive because it had lingered in her system as some are suggesting may be the case. That would be unfortunate but still a 4 year ban. Strict liability and all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is interesting to see the new Cold War play out in the anti-doping sphere again. The Ruskies have been doing ok in Syria and Ukraine but duplicitous moralising in sport is a terrain owned by the West and its former politicians and bureaucrats that fill the ranks of WADA are willing weapons.

At least Serena 'Panic Room' Williams has realised she is on the winning side of this uneven battle and that going after Sharapova would be too disingenuous.

While her sport and certain anti-doping authorities may protect her, if you start blatantly lying and attacking people like Armstrong did, you embolden the media to start sniffing around and encourage other officials to go off script and make a name for themselves.
PED's started in the cold war with Olympic wrestlers and weightlifters in the late 1950's. The eastern bloc used it as a tool, the west copied, and then non Olympic professional sports in the 1980's saw the benefit and it exploded along with the fact medical science knowledge has been doubling every 5 years now for about 30 years.

Interesting theory that this is new cold war tactics around a bigger geo-political game. hard not to think that way if you are a Russian at the moment.

that how I understand it, the itp enforce the code for the atp, I could be wrong
The way I understand the structure of tennis is that the ITF run 3 tournaments, The Davis Cup, The Fed Cup and The Hopman Cup, but they sanction the status/organisation of the 4 grand slam events. The ATP and WTA run the tournaments and most of the development tournaments although the ITF have some of them. I have been of the belief that the ATP and WTA have handed over control of anti-doping to the ITF.

She failed a drug test after being warned at least 6 times (yes turns out it was 3 warnings from the ITF, 2 from the WTA in addition to the WADA communique). The only way I might feel empathy for her is if she had in fact stopped taking the drug before it moved to the banned list and she turned up a positive because it had lingered in her system as some are suggesting may be the case. That would be unfortunate but still a 4 year ban. Strict liability and all.

I didn't think that would be the case simply because i'm assuming that would have been explored by her people prior to the press release. But if that was the case and she got a 4 year ban i legitimately believe we have good reason burn the WADA building down and put in something that has a little bit more substance and credibility....like a kardashian museum.

Do you see how Sharapova controlled the narrative and called the press conference and talked about her medication and how it's all just a silly misunderstanding because of a single silly email?
what's the alternative? that she knew it was illegal and took it with the intention of beating the drug test that she knew she would have to take? i just can't believe that for a second.

When I saw her making the announcement, I just wanted to give her a big hug.

I have often felt like given her a hug to be honest.

what's the alternative? that she knew it was illegal and took it with the intention of beating the drug test that she knew she would have to take? i just can't believe that for a second.
How do you know she knew she was going to be tested? Athletes don't know when they're going to be tested. They're not forewarned, and for good reason. But don't believe me - Just look at the drug testing statistics by WADA for 2014. Compare tennis (big sport that it is) with other sports. https://wada-main-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/wada_2014_anti-doping-testing-figures_full-report_en.pdf

It's been well-known for a long time that Tennis isn't very keen to test their own athletes. No sport is keen to test their biggest athletes.

How do you know she knew she was going to be tested? Athletes don't know when they're going to be tested. They're not forewarned, and for good reason. But don't believe me - Just look at the drug testing statistics by WADA for 2014. Compare tennis (big sport that it is) with other sports. https://wada-main-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/wada_2014_anti-doping-testing-figures_full-report_en.pdf

It's been well-known for a long time that Tennis isn't very keen to test their own athletes. No sport is keen to test their biggest athletes.
Edit - the first sentence should read, As a top 10 player you would expect to get tested at a grand slam event
It wouldnt be hard to think, if you are top 10 player you wouldn't get tested at a grand slam event. What has happened at the previous 10-20 grand slam events would be a good guide. Although Serena seemed to get a long term pass after her panic room incidents.

Last edited:
It wouldnt be hard to think, if you are top 10 player you wouldn't get tested at a grand slam event. What has happened at the previous 10 grand slam events would be a good guide. Although Serena seemed to get a long term pass after her panic room incidents.
I mean after all, if you've spent 10 years taking a potent cardiac medication, it's not a stretch to be all about 'calculated risks' (and complacency), and make a calculated (complacent) decision that the odds are that you are not going to be tested (because you usually never are), and the drug you've relied on most of your career is something you're going to rely on to get you though the next tournament. Roll the dice.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014...es-not-evenly-all-players/51081/#.VuEQVPl96Uk

its' hard to find info on the frequency of drug testing in tennis. this article seems to elude to the best players being tested almost monthly.

....strangely enough, sharapova isn't mentioned...

Remove this Banner Ad

Maria Sharapova announces positive drug test

Remove this Banner Ad

Back