Maria Sharapova announces positive drug test

Remove this Banner Ad

nothing wrong with an artificial advantage if it's safe. the whole point of these doping rules are to ensure that athletes have level playing field. by the rules that existed pre 2016 anyone could use it if they wanted, she didn't have an unfair advantage over anybody.
sport was never fair. how many 50 metre pools do they have in Eritrea?

And warned 5 times. It beggars belief you could just not bother with checking into that stuff when millions and millions of dollars of your livliehood depend on it.
her support staff prolly handle it, methinks her man at IMG is not gonna get his bonus this year

her support staff prolly handle it, methinks her man at IMG is not gonna get his bonus this year
I guess it just highlights that no athlete can afford to trust others with this stuff any more. They'll have to start checking WADA lists themselves against medications they're on. It's just too important to leave to someone else no matter how much you're paying them.

I guess it just highlights that no athlete can afford to trust others with this stuff any more. They'll have to start checking WADA lists themselves against medications they're on. It's just too important to leave to someone else no matter how much you're paying them.

When could they ever afford to trust someone else to do it for them? Strict liability.

adp warning.JPG
It's on the cover page of the anti-doping code that it's too important to leave to someone else...

It's also mentioned multiple times throughout the different versions of the Code that it's the athlete's personal responsibility too.

And now you're just guessing it's been highlighted?

I never said it was so your post was misguided.

I guess it just highlights that no athlete can afford to trust others with this stuff any more.

I guess this is your 'snap' moment right? Well sorry to burst your bubble but I never questioned whether they're meant to be doing it or not. Whether they are actually doing it or not is in question and clearly there a quite a few who don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That has always been the case as instructed to all including AFL players

I guess this is your 'snap' moment right? Well sorry to burst your bubble but I never questioned whether they're meant to be doing it or not. Whether they are actually doing it or not is in question and clearly there a quite a few who don't.
You literally posted that you "guess" it highlights that you can't do it any more.

I pointed out that it's very clearly defined that you never could.

You said you didn't say that.

You literally posted that you "guess" it highlights that you can't do it any more.

I pointed out that it's very clearly defined that you never could.

You said you didn't say that.
I've already explained what I meant. I'm not sure I can make it any simpler for you.

Two people read the same thing to your post.

Perhaps you need to address your wording rather than blaming others.
Blaming others? lol

okey mete

It is far, far weaker than failing a drug test, that's for sure.

I'm just pointing out that Sharapova is not any "better" than the Essendon players for taking responsibility, because she had no choice. She failed a drug test. Of the course Essendon players are going to protest their innocence when they did not.
Well she could have done like many famous Australian athletes and blame someone else for their positive test
Alex Watson (pentathlon) my drink was spiked
Sam Riley my coach gave me the pill
Warnie mummy gave me the pill.

Well she could have done like many famous Australian athletes and blame someone else for their positive test
Alex Watson never said his drink was spiked at the 88 Olympics. Caffeine was a banned substance and he tested positive to a high value. His argument was he drank coffee all day as he had multiple events in the pentathlon that day and he had consumed a fair bit over the day. As a heavy coffee drinker myself, I'd buy that argument because if I had to compete over 10 hours I probably would have failed the old level. It was BS and that's why its been dumped as a banned substance.

Ben Johnson initially went with the spiked drink - which later had some merit as a the coach of Carl Lewis has stated he made sure someone he knew was in the drug testing area when big Ben had to knock back 6 beers to produce a sample. One of Carl's team mates who wasnt even in the US team, but ran the sprint circuit, was in the anti-doping area.

Again though, that's merely an excuse for why the substance is present, not a denial of the presence.

Further to my point about there clearly being a lot of athletes out there not taking enough responsibility;

“No one clicks that link,” said Jiri Fencl, a Czech coach.

Some dismissed the messages as irrelevant to their own regimens or too complicated to be useful; others said that they trusted someone in their inner circle would be keeping tabs on their behalf.

“I just have my vitamins, so I don’t really have to check it,” ninth-ranked Petra Kvitova said. “So I’m not really reading that.”

Third-ranked Agnieszka Radwanska also said she did not personally read the emails she receives from WADA.

“To be honest, I’m also not really checking those emails,” she said. “That’s what my doctor is doing, and my agent.”
-----
But even Gasquet, who called the year of his positive test the toughest of his life, said he did not read the emails he receives from WADA.

“I don’t read so much, because the only thing I take is sometimes some aspirin,” he said. “I don’t take vitamins. I take anti-inflammatories. So it’s O.K. But when I have something to do, of course I call the doctor. I know there is a list, every year you need to read it, but I don’t read so much.”

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/03/1...tw-share&_r=1&referer=https://t.co/wmfkV3t2vG

Remove this Banner Ad

Maria Sharapova announces positive drug test

Remove this Banner Ad

Back