Maria Sharapova announces positive drug test

Remove this Banner Ad

Couple of articles in the Oz one online and one in today's paper. Sharapova reckons she didn't get 5 warnings

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...d/news-story/28ae7642587faa45507ee563f700ee51
Maria Sharapova has denied missing five warnings that meldonium was becoming a banned drug before testing positive at the Australian Open. The Russian said in a lengthy Facebook post (see end of article) she was “determined to fight back” against what she deemed misreporting of the facts of the case. The International Tennis Federation and WTA alerted players five times in December to the banned list for 2016.
The 28-year-old wrote: “This document had thousands of words on it, many of them technical, in small print. Should I have studied it? Yes. But if you saw this document, you would know what I mean. “I make no excuses for not knowing about the ban. I already told you about the December 22, 2015 email I received. Its subject line was ‘Main Changes to the Tennis Anti-Doping Program for 2016’. I should have paid more attention to it. “But the other ‘communications’? They were buried in newsletters, websites, or handouts.” As an example, Sharapova cited an email on December 18 that would have required clicking through a number of links to find the information.

However, this email was not one of the five warnings cited by the ITF and WTA.
Sharapova, who knew the drug as mildronate, also addressed comments from the manufacturer that it was only designed to be taken in courses of between four and six weeks. That has been cited by some as suspicious given the Russian said she had been taking it, as prescribed by her doctor, for 10 years. But she indicated she had only used it intermittently, in line with the manufacturer’s guidelines, saying: “I didn’t take the medicine every day. I took it the way my doctor recommended I take it and I took it in the low doses recommended.” Sharapova will have a chance to put her case forward at a preliminary hearing later this month before an independent tribunal hears the case and decides on possible sanctions.

“I look forward to the ITF hearing at which time they will receive my detailed medical records,” she said.

Sharapova’s message came on the same day WADA confirmed there have been 99 positive tests for meldonium since the drug was added to its banned list in January.....
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...d/news-story/28ae7642587faa45507ee563f700ee51
Her long Facebook post ia at
https://www.facebook.com/sharapova/posts/10153282306932680

Couple of articles in the Oz one online and one in today's paper. Sharapova reckons she didn't get 5 warnings

Maria Sharapova has denied missing five warnings that meldonium was becoming a banned drug before testing positive at the Australian Open. The Russian said in a lengthy Facebook post (see end of article) she was “determined to fight back” against what she deemed misreporting of the facts of the case. The International Tennis Federation and WTA alerted players five times in December to the banned list for 2016.
The 28-year-old wrote: “This document had thousands of words on it, many of them technical, in small print. Should I have studied it? Yes. But if you saw this document, you would know what I mean. “I make no excuses for not knowing about the ban. I already told you about the December 22, 2015 email I received. Its subject line was ‘Main Changes to the Tennis Anti-Doping Program for 2016’. I should have paid more attention to it. “But the other ‘communications’? They were buried in newsletters, websites, or handouts.” As an example, Sharapova cited an email on December 18 that would have required clicking through a number of links to find the information.

However, this email was not one of the five warnings cited by the ITF and WTA.
Sharapova, who knew the drug as mildronate, also addressed comments from the manufacturer that it was only designed to be taken in courses of between four and six weeks. That has been cited by some as suspicious given the Russian said she had been taking it, as prescribed by her doctor, for 10 years. But she indicated she had only used it intermittently, in line with the manufacturer’s guidelines, saying: “I didn’t take the medicine every day. I took it the way my doctor recommended I take it and I took it in the low doses recommended.” Sharapova will have a chance to put her case forward at a preliminary hearing later this month before an independent tribunal hears the case and decides on possible sanctions.

“I look forward to the ITF hearing at which time they will receive my detailed medical records,” she said.

Sharapova’s message came on the same day WADA confirmed there have been 99 positive tests for meldonium since the drug was added to its banned list in January.....
Her long Facebook post ia at
https://www.facebook.com/sharapova/posts/10153282306932680
Either 99 athletes didnt read their emails or this stuff lasts in the body a long time

Ignorance I expect.

Heard one 'expert' this morning suggest she should apply for a TUE now.

Methinks her advisers would have already considered it - she's too well supported....surrounded....for it not to have been considered before she went public. I reckon they sniffed the breeze and realised it wouldn't fly, mainly because she didn't seem to have been following the prescribed route (e.g. the 4-6 week courses). To request a TUE, after the fact, would open up various questions and lines of enquiry.

Nadal is an athlete with the aptitude to stay on top of this stuff.

But he's mega rich. He has the right to pay an expert to do it for him. As does Sharapova.
That person should have a knowledge base that would far outweigh their own and actually lessen the risk to the player.

Whether she could have done more, to ensure that person was rigidly checking her pill intake vs the WADA list, is probably the more relevant question.

I reckon most of this is a distraction, jez. All the talk of what she might have done, who she trusted etc is not particularly relevant.

By signing up to comply she accepted the responsibility. If she chooses not to keep herself informed, or gives the job to someone else, she does not absolve herself or transfer any sanction elsewhere.

She is well enough resourced to make an informed choice, far more so than some 15 y.o. kid who hasn't made enough to pay someone to do it for them.

I do tend to think she was let down by her support people, just not in the way it's mostly being presented.

She's coitanly not getting a great deal of love from back 'home' - even Yevgeny's gone full throttle:

"It was a bombshell revelation from former tennis giant Yevgeny Kafelnikov - now vice president of the Russian Tennis Federation - that disclosed her national team had been in the dark over her use for a decade of meldonium, also known as mildronat.

'I was in touch with Dr Yasnitsky. He told me he did not know Sharapova had been taking this medicine,' said Kafelnikov, a former world number one."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Russian-tennis-boss-claims.html#ixzz42kMCu2Dl

I reckon that might be a clue as to whether she'd been declaring it to drug testers when they rolled around over the last 10 years.

A few interesting comments from the "anonymous woman doctor".

She's coitanly not getting a great deal of love from back 'home' - even Yevgeny's gone full throttle:

"It was a bombshell revelation from former tennis giant Yevgeny Kafelnikov - now vice president of the Russian Tennis Federation - that disclosed her national team had been in the dark over her use for a decade of meldonium, also known as mildronat.

'I was in touch with Dr Yasnitsky. He told me he did not know Sharapova had been taking this medicine,' said Kafelnikov, a former world number one."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Russian-tennis-boss-claims.html#ixzz42kMCu2Dl

I reckon that might be a clue as to whether she'd been declaring it to drug testers when they rolled around over the last 10 years.

A few interesting comments from the "anonymous woman doctor".
Coitanly, I love that word. An unintended stroke of genius.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the numbers of Russian athletes on this particular drug, in 2015, was 730 "positives" for the LEGAL drug, so then WADA has their heuristic, and ferkin bans it, prohibits is, and uses this to whack the Soviets, cos they are from either Russian or Soviet states like Lithuania, or Latvia, or Bulgaria, and whacked them all over the head when they have not tweaked their PED regimens. Can someone else google how many 'postives' came down last year for this drug when it was not illegal. cheers

PR machines will fool the loyal fan but no matter how hard she tries the truth is she took drugs to improve performance. Yes they were legal last year but shows her mind set.
Will be remembered as a cheat.
the most risible is Serena and Rafa coming out to support her! That is some funny sheeit indeed

No matter what details surround this drug, she's always been a cheat in my eyes. The ridiculous shrieking is completely unnatural and a deliberate ploy to distract the opponent. She can try all the PR possible, it's not fooling many people.

No matter what details surround this drug, she's always been a cheat in my eyes. The ridiculous shrieking is completely unnatural and a deliberate ploy to distract the opponent. She can try all the PR possible, it's not fooling many people.

It's the reason I won't watch tennis anymore.

It's actually not that.

There have been shriekers and grunters for decades. The intention is not to distract or disturb the opponent, it is to cover up the sound of the racket hitting the ball. Good players can make instinctive judgements on what the ball is doing based on the sound of the hit. It's a trick learned from table tennis where some players will stamp their foot as they serve to stop the opponent hearing how much spin goes on the ball.

None of which makes the squealing any less irritating.

It's actually not that.

There have been shriekers and grunters for decades. The intention is not to distract or disturb the opponent, it is to cover up the sound of the racket hitting the ball. Good players can make instinctive judgements on what the ball is doing based on the sound of the hit. It's a trick learned from table tennis where some players will stamp their foot as they serve to stop the opponent hearing how much spin goes on the ball.

None of which makes the squealing any less irritating.

Like this, mind you its a case if 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. It's providing a distraction that the senses are naturally drawn to, making it harder to focus on the sound of the ball of racquet.

I think the numbers of Russian athletes on this particular drug, in 2015, was 730 "positives" for the LEGAL drug, so then WADA has their heuristic, and ferkin bans it, prohibits is, and uses this to whack the Soviets, cos they are from either Russian or Soviet states like Lithuania, or Latvia, or Bulgaria, and whacked them all over the head when they have not tweaked their PED regimens. Can someone else google how many 'postives' came down last year for this drug when it was not illegal. cheers

and
http://www.sportsintegrityinitiative.com/analysis-maria-sharapova-tests-positive-for-meldonium/

CdWhdOsXIAAt4fR.jpg:large

Cc-fR4XW0AAKSCK.jpg
Cc-fTFdXIAEinlG.jpg

WADA, in effect, are answerable to the CAS. That's one of the reasons the CAS exists.

Also, WADA were borne of UNESCO (ya gotta love the E, the S and the C), and UNESCO didn't just launch a ragtag bunch into orbit, and walk away. Interestingly, or maybe not, after UNESCO got WADA up and running to tackle a unifying approach to tackling PED's in sport, they turned their eye to unifying the global management of the risk in transporting and handling Dangerous Goods.

WADA is subject to a lot more oversight and revision than, let's see, the IOC, FIFA, the ITF, the ICC, the IAAF, the NFL, MBL, the AFL and just about any other sporting organisation you like to name.

It's kinda funny how each of those sporting organisations have been shown to have been variously corrupt, some repeatedly, in the time since WADA has been in operation, yet no-one has been able to lay a glove on WADA. And, don't kid yourself, if they were open, there are an awful lot of vested interests who would have tried to take them down.

There's another global body defined by the highest civilising principle - the International Criminal Court. Fortunately, WADA haven't yet been neutered like the ICC, by the festering pit of international 'diplomacy'.

What's more, WADA are actually making ground. Meanwhile, war criminals like Bush and Blair continue to roam free.

Who are CAS answerable to?

Eventually you get to a place where you get a body who is answerable to know one, and we just have to trust that everyone on that board are honorable and not swayed by greed.

Your political comments at the end destroy some of the credibility of the rest of your post. I suppose you were barracking for Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden in the Iraq war, were you? They are the true war criminals.

People in prison get three square meals, Foxtel, computers, can appeal over the slightest thing and all on the taxpayer's money.

:D

As soon as I saw the length of your post I knew this would be in there.

Classic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Maria Sharapova announces positive drug test

Remove this Banner Ad

Back