Opinion Mark Blake

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with Winty ^^^^ here. Blake is not our numnber 1 ruckman and he couldn't have come up against a better ruck duo. It's almost the most inexperienced ruck duo vs the most experienced and best ruck duo. Having said that i'm still not convinced with Blake yet.

To all those who complain about letting King go, get over it. As much as I liked him when he was at his peak, he will never be the same player again and good on the Saints for having the two most injury prone ruckman in the league.

Its only round 1 for crying out loud.

Spot on.

Blake appears at this stage not to have come on from last year. When you can't take a contested mark as a ruckman you are next to ****ing useless in the team. At least West is mobile and appears to look like a footballer.

I can remember several years ago it was well documented that Steven King hadn't taken a contested mark in more than half a season, yet now people are saying they want him back. :confused:

Blake has a lot to learn, though I'm sure after that game he would also say so. He didn't live up to his tap image, but remember he was pitted against the All-Aust ruck (even if Otto should have gotten the nod).

I thought he needed to do better against Brogan, but he didn't. He needs to learn to differ his opponent as it was fairly obvious tonight he just did the same thing over and over again, which didn't work.

West was serviceable, struggled at the stoppage, needs to learn how to take on larger opponents (jump into them?).

Tenace was disappointing, his skill errors were terrible at times. He'd be all alone then totally klang a kick to an opponent. Being by yourself and missing a target, not once but on many occasions clearly isn't good enough. Pris in next week.

Byrnes didn't do too badly, however I think when the crunch comes and by the display of Gamble last night you'd have to say that the younger player has impressed and needs to get a run now vice Byrnes.

With West and Blake, agree with past comments. Round 1 is over, got the Dub (Win). I'm sure they will learn from the game and that's good for us, means there is improvement to be made.

I think we all expected Blake/West to lose in the ruck against Lade/Brogan, too big and too experienced. Thought they both tried hard and weren't disgraced.

Where Blake/West let the side down was letting Lade wander down forward on his own. He nearly won the game for them.

Unlike Lade, neither Blade or West are threats up forward, so we can't use them to drag their rucks out of the play. They needed to stick to Lade so at least to make a contest or fill up a hole in our backline.

I think we all expected Blake/West to lose in the ruck against Lade/Brogan, too big and too experienced. Thought they both tried hard and weren't disgraced.

Where Blake/West let the side down was letting Lade wander down forward on his own. He nearly won the game for them.

Unlike Lade, neither Blade or West are threats up forward, so we can't use them to drag their rucks out of the play. They needed to stick to Lade so at least to make a contest or fill up a hole in our backline.

That was the key for mine from last nights game. Choco clearly realized he could exploit that and he did.

However, these sorts of things are going to happen when you're playing a ruck division with 35 games of experience between them against experienced premiership ruckmen.

Our boys are still learning the caper, and I saw positive signs from both players, and expect that there will be continued development from the pair as the season progresses.

One must also remember it took Blake Snr a good 7 or 8 years at senior level before he really hit his straps as a top line ruckman. I would never have called him a reliable kick of the pill either, but it didn't stop him winning a B&F and finishing top 3 in the Brownlow in a year when we finished as Minor Premiers.

Mark Blake will get better...Gee i can remember everybody bagging Steven King in his first few years at the club.
Big men do need alot more time to develop & with the more game time they have the better they become.

I think Blake's 'hands' are a little underrated (im not talking about his marking ability but more his hands at ground level) For a ruckman and someone considered a little unco i dont think he fumbles alot. i dont think many people notice that he can be a good link man with handballs, gets the ball away quickly and usually gives to the right man running by (eg, the man under less pressure - definitely does this better than King did)

Mark Blake will get better...Gee i can remember everybody bagging Steven King in his first few years at the club.
Big men do need alot more time to develop & with the more game time they have the better they become.

as i have said

BLAKE sooked and was not happy re gf, where king had a ripper
he had a chance and was piss poor, 1st or 2ns ruck, you are either a ruckman or not, and he is street poor

I think Blake's 'hands' are a little underrated (im not talking about his marking ability but more his hands at ground level) For a ruckman and someone considered a little unco i dont think he fumbles alot. i dont think many people notice that he can be a good link man with handballs, gets the ball away quickly and usually gives to the right man running by (eg, the man under less pressure - definitely does this better than King did)

king could kick a goal

ho hum

blake is shite

king could kick a goal

ho hum

blake is shite
Steven King, goals 2007: 0
Mark Blake, goals 2007: 2

A bit of a trite comparison, but it's worth noting the last time King kicked more than 10 goals was in 2002.

Steven King, goals 2007: 0
Mark Blake, goals 2007: 2

A bit of a trite comparison, but it's worth noting the last time King kicked more than 10 goals was in 2002.

ok then

blake is still shite
poor body work, and games against shite ruckmen count for nothing, it is in games like last night when we need all aboard
not for the mids to work even harder

why to our biggest threat stkilda ? we have made them a better side

Because the alternative would be to delist him and they would just pick him up in the pre-season draft. No other team wanted Kingy or we would have got a better deal for him. The club wanted to do the right thing by him and help him get to another club - good on them I say!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blake and King

I'm sick of people saying we shouldn't have got rid of King.
Just remember, he had one good game in how ever long, and i believe his effort in the grand final was good, but not great.
Now I am not a huge fan of Blake, as i still struggle to see how he is an AFL moulded player at this stage, but give him one or two more years, (probrably when KIng will retire, from injury) and he'll give us way more value than King would have. Also, West is a gun i reckon. I watched him closely in the VFL finals and i was happy with what i saw!
Who thinks we should have kept King, especially when in a few years he'll retire, and we'll probrably have to rebuild?

I was disappointed, but he is still young. He was up against the best ruck combo in the game.

West was very good on debut.

Cue Achilles coming in and bagging the shit out of Blake. Or does he save that for Bay13?

Still young? He's 23! Same age as Gaz, who could have quite easily won a brownlow last year. He's been in the system for 5 years. There's no excuses anymore. Hopefully West can develop fast.

We also have Mumford, interesting story, came over from TAS.[/quote

we seriously need to look at giving 1 of west,simpson and mumford a go.I think that west is a bit undersized and I cant say I know much about Mumford. I say give simpson a crack a bloke that size should be able to win his fair share of hit outs.

Has blake done anything to suggest he will be good ? I would love for him to prove me wrong but i have my doubts

Mate, nothing, ever. I've been saying this to you guys for two years, and last year I copped a whole lot of shit from it because everyone thought he was still 'developing' and he was a good 'tap ruckman' and he still has 'potential', rubbish!! If you can't see it you are blind!

Re: Blake and King

Who thinks we should have kept King, especially when in a few years he'll retire, and we'll probrably have to rebuild?
i still reckon we shuldve kept king, but thers no point arguing about it now. lets just wish kingy the best at the saints and get behind the blokes we have:thumbsu:

give simpson a go, a bloke that size will win his fair share of hit outs, he must be the 3rd tallest player in the afl
You really are crazy! it would be like sending the lamb to the slaughter. The kid has never played a game against men and you want him up against seasoned, hard ruckman? West got mauled and his been there for 2 years.

give simpson a go, a bloke that size will win his fair share of hit outs, he must be the 3rd tallest player in the afl

Just because he's a big lump of a lad doesn't mean he's all of a sudden going to provide more of a contest against seasoned ruckmen. It takes more than mere size to be effective.

The thing that annoys me about Blake is how uncoordinated he is. When ever he has the ball, tries to kick or mark I usually close my eyes. It is not good enough to offer what he is offering us now, he needs to get his shit together. The sad thing is I don't think he has it in him to improve enough to be serviceable, I can't remember any previous players who started out as an unco and turned into a good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back