Opinion Mark Blake

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really are crazy! it would be like sending the lamb to the slaughter. The kid has never played a game against men and you want him up against seasoned, hard ruckman? West got mauled and his been there for 2 years.

what is happening to blake ? hes getting slaughtered so why not give someone who might have potential a go ?

Because the alternative would be to delist him and they would just pick him up in the pre-season draft. No other team wanted Kingy or we would have got a better deal for him. The club wanted to do the right thing by him and help him get to another club - good on them I say!

a club would of picked him up for nothing before st kilda

Still young? He's 23! Same age as Gaz, who could have quite easily won a brownlow last year. He's been in the system for 5 years. There's no excuses anymore. Hopefully West can develop fast.
totally agree
maybe the ferals can ring sen and build him up again

Just because he's a big lump of a lad doesn't mean he's all of a sudden going to provide more of a contest against seasoned ruckmen. It takes more than mere size to be effective.

so blake's excuse is

still developing, and in 2112 still developing

call sen come on blake's mum i dare you

ok then

blake is still shite
poor body work, and games against shite ruckmen count for nothing, it is in games like last night when we need all aboard
not for the mids to work even harder

and blake kicking straight or to a target 0.12% of his kicks

totally agree
maybe the ferals can ring sen and build him up again

so blake's excuse is

still developing, and in 2112 still developing

call sen come on blake's mum i dare you

yeah, but blake still wears a gfc top

Is that you Crackers?

King's gone mate. Build a bridge and get over it.

a club would of picked him up for nothing before st kilda

Crap. If another club was interested we would have been able to negotiate a better deal than pick 90 for King and Gardiner. Most clubs are developing their own rucks who can play for another 10 years. St Kilda are the only team in that "premiership window" who needed an experienced ruckman and were prepared to go for short-term gain rather than take the longer option of developing their own.

I must admit I was suprised to see the Catters get rid of King at seasons end. Could that trade be the difference in winning the premiership this year. Your lack of ruck depth and/or complacency will be the only things that stop you guys winning this years premiership.

I must admit I was suprised to see the Catters get rid of King at seasons end. Could that trade be the difference in winning the premiership this year. Your lack of ruck depth and/or complacency will be the only things that stop you guys winning this years premiership.

The same ruckman that played on Thursday night played most of the games last year as #2 to Ottens.Where did we finish at the end of the year ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like everyone needs a top up. Certainly seems to be a lot of half empty glasses around here.

NEWSFLASH - This just in. Geelong won the Premiership in 2007 and are 1 and zip after one round of the 2008 season (which they played interstate, somewhere that they have really struggled in the past). Put the bloody GF replay on again and cheer up FFS!!!

Still young? He's 23! Same age as Gaz, who could have quite easily won a brownlow last year. He's been in the system for 5 years. There's no excuses anymore. Hopefully West can develop fast.

Since when do talls develop faster than smalls? That is a stupid comparison.

So many people on here with unrealistic expectations of Mark Blake. What did you expect, for him to dominate Lade and Brogan? Going on the most of the comments, you did. The coaching staff knew they'd struggle to win hit-outs and therefore worked on winning the clearances and I'm pretty sure we did, comfortably.

May I add, that we did win. It appears that has been forgotten.

Since when do talls develop faster than smalls? That is a stupid comparison.

So many people on here with unrealistic expectations of Mark Blake. What did you expect, for him to dominate Lade and Brogan? Going on the most of the comments, you did. The coaching staff knew they'd struggle to win hit-outs and therefore worked on winning the clearances and I'm pretty sure we did, comfortably.

May I add, that we did win. It appears that has been forgotten.

may i add the number of ruckmen who were AA and spent by the time they are 26-27 because of injury

so lets wait for blake to be 30 before we see him win a contest

may i add the number of ruckmen who were AA and spent by the time they are 26-27 because of injury

What's your point?

so lets wait for blake to be 30 before we see him win a contest

What's your definition of winning a contest?

Some ruckmen burst on to the scene and dominate from a young age, and they are usually spent by their late 20s. This is the type of young ruckman I'd like to see come up at Geelong - somebody who is prepared to put their body on the line and make the most of what god has given them. I admired King because this is the type of ruckman that he was.

The thing with Blake is that I really do wonder why he is playing AFL football. I realise that if you are more than 2m tall, you can play on your own terms and your skills needn't be all that, but Blake's skills are rubbish. Surely there are enough tall young guys running around for us to find a young ruckmen with half decent skills. I wouldn't mind the softly, softly approach if I could see a light at the end of the tunnel... With Blake, it just seems like more of the same. It was funny and I cheered for him at the start of last year, but by the end of it, I was sick of his bullshit.

You'd think that being dropped for the grand final would make you keen to work as hard as possible and improve yourself no end. It seems like Blake has not done this. I know it is still too early to make a definite call, but whilst he was mandhandled in the ruck by Lade and Brogan, it was his around the ground stuff that really frustrated me. He seemed to be a weak chain in our gameplan - players even seemed to see that it was Blake who was calling for it and look the other way. We can't have that... Im worried that if Ottens goes down, we will be in a world of shit.

Some ruckmen burst on to the scene and dominate from a young age, and they are usually spent by their late 20s. This is the type of young ruckman I'd like to see come up at Geelong - somebody who is prepared to put their body on the line and make the most of what god has given them. I admired King because this is the type of ruckman that he was.

The thing with Blake is that I really do wonder why he is playing AFL football. I realise that if you are more than 2m tall, you can play on your own terms and your skills needn't be all that, but Blake's skills are rubbish. Surely there are enough tall young guys running around for us to find a young ruckmen with half decent skills. I wouldn't mind the softly, softly approach if I could see a light at the end of the tunnel... With Blake, it just seems like more of the same. It was funny and I cheered for him at the start of last year, but by the end of it, I was sick of his bullshit.

You'd think that being dropped for the grand final would make you keen to work as hard as possible and improve yourself no end. It seems like Blake has not done this. I know it is still too early to make a definite call, but whilst he was mandhandled in the ruck by Lade and Brogan, it was his around the ground stuff that really frustrated me. He seemed to be a weak chain in our gameplan - players even seemed to see that it was Blake who was calling for it and look the other way. We can't have that... Im worried that if Ottens goes down, we will be in a world of shit.

Well said, cause West is too short as no 1 ruckman
we needed to have drafted a woods type in

Well said, cause West is too short as no 1 ruckman
we needed to have drafted a woods type in

How about Dawson Simpson?

We probably drafted him for the reason that West is a bit too short for the no. 1 job in the future and even if Simpson is young, he still is ******* massive and I'm sure that with a bit of work he will be good, I'm also pretty certain his skills are better than Blake's

I was disappointed with the showing from Blake on Thursday night.

As I wrote in my match preview:

Mark Blake gets his chance to prove that his Grand Final omission was a mistake.

...the desire by Blake to silence his doubters will be strong. He is still on the steep curve of improvement that young ruckmen experience at his age, 22. Criticisms of his game in the past have centred around his competitive ability at around the ground contests and, at times, his foot skills. There is little doubt he would have spent a large chunk of his summer rectifying this.

So I was disappointed on two fronts.

Firstly, I thought Blake would be absolutely bursting out of his skin to prove that he could match it with Lade and Brogan and thus, prove his omission from the Grand Final team was unnecessary. He failed dismally on this front and if it wasn't already clear in my mind, it is now that the Grand Final selection decision was the correct one.

Secondly, I just wanted to see Blake more competitive around the ground and I wanted to see some sign that he'd worked on and improved his kicking. I saw neither. The main thing around the ground I'd like to see is him getting forward and behind contests in a way which good ruckmen consistently do. We saw Lade push forward dangerously and often. We saw Brogan push inside defensive 50 to try to stifle Geelong. Blake doesn't seem to do much of either. His standard play is to stand motionless inside the centre square to act like a basketball centre in a "post" role. He marks or receives the ball and dishes off to a runner. He just needs to get more active around the ground.

But, with perspective, I'm not writing Blake off after one game of the season and at 22 years of age. I do believe he's still on a learning curve and we are yet to see his best footy. I'm just itching to start seeing the improvement in key areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back