Politics & Government mark webber "nanny state" comments

Remove this Banner Ad

Only 13 people's lives saved last year, which means 13 people are still with their families but by over 700 lives since the 70's when this campaign first began.

Its working and working very well, that's why governments all over the world look at what we are doing.

You don't have an argument

What? Did you read over what you just said? All the statistics show is that 13 less people died on the roads in 2009 compared to 2008. How does that indicate '13 lives saved'? So the number of road deaths is expected to be exactly the same year to year and any difference is a life saved or a life lost?

Regardless of that, the main argument here is that going 5-10 km/h won't increase your chance of having an accident. The statistics show nothing regarding the number of actual accidents on the road and there is no evidence that going a little over the limit every now and then increases your chance of having an accident.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

What? Did you read over what you just said? All the statistics show is that 13 less people died on the roads in 2009 compared to 2008. How does that indicate '13 lives saved'? So the number of road deaths is expected to be exactly the same year to year and any difference is a life saved or a life lost?

Regardless of that, the main argument here is that going 5-10 km/h won't increase your chance of having an accident. The statistics show nothing regarding the number of actual accidents on the road and there is no evidence that going a little over the limit every now and then increases your chance of having an accident.

Stop embarrassing yourself.
Once I even wet myself in public.

As to the topic though.

The campaign to cut road deaths and injury is working.
You have no argument against that.

One of the tools to cut the figure even further is Speed Camera's, again you have no argument against that.

The death toll in Victoria has gone from about 1110 a year in the 70's to about 320 a year now

If you don't want to pay a speeding fine then don't speed, even you must see the logic to that, perhaps.

All you have is zip, nada, nothing, rhetoric, zilch and a little piss & wind.

But I think that about sums up your vision on most things, doesn't it.

Will be interesting when future technology,allows speed signs to automatically control the speed of your car.

The Ultimate Nanny State Fantasy,a good or bad thing?

Once I even wet myself in public.

As to the topic though.

The campaign to cut road deaths and injury is working.

One of the tools to cut the figure even further is Speed Camera's, again you have no argument against that.

The death toll in Victoria has gone from about 1110 a year in the 70's to about 320 a year now

If you don't want to pay a speeding fine then don't speed, even you must see the logic to that, perhaps.

All you have is zip, nada, nothing, rhetoric, zilch and a little piss & wind.

But I think that about sums up your vision on most things, doesn't it.

Nice to see you went and got yourself red carded, not surprised though, considering you come across as someone with a one-track mind with a penchant for tunnel-vision and erratic behaviour.

Now regarding your latest work of fecal literature, how does it feel to consistently miss the mark? Once again I ask, where is the proof that traveling faster than arbitrarily set speed limits increases the chance of having an accident? I'll understand if you have trouble finding such proof, as it doesn't exist.

As for your assertion that the current 'campaign' is working, how do you explain that the current year-to-date road toll is higher than last year? Why was the 2005 road toll was higher than in 2004?

There is no definitive evidence that the reduction in the road toll from the levels in the 70s till now is a direct result of speed cameras being in place. The reduced road toll is just as likely to be due to better safety technology in cars (e.g. crumple zones, ESC, ABS), lower levels of drink-driving and a general cultural shift away from the bogan inferiority complex mentality that yearns to prove itself to the rest of the world.

[Edit/Addition]
http://smh.drive.com.au/fast-drivers-and-a-falling-road-toll-germans-show-how-20100304-plsi.html

German autobahns never had strict speed limits, just advisory speeds which were 'reasonable and prudent'.

"In 1972, there were 20,000 deaths on West German roads. Last year, there were 4100, despite 20 million more people on the road."

Well look at that, they reduced their road toll too without the need for revenue raising speed cameras! Maybe you should learn to drive at the speed modern cars were designed to travel at. It's really very simple if you have half a brain and some common sense.

Would there be much use in introducing the type of driver ed they have in American schools? I'm not sure of their road tolls etc but some of the accidents with young kids are because they are inexperienced in some if not all situations.
Even having a class in their learning test where they learn to drive in the wet roads and how to control their car if it skids out.
They can increase the hours to drive with a guardian all they like, but as soon as you drive by yourself its different ball game.

But that's what your argument comes down to, which can be resolved by;
1. Don't break the Law
2. Don't create revenue for the Government
3. It does save lives, the road toll is falling year after year
Its a no brainer really

No, my argument comes down to the fact that tightening laws and being nazis on petty little infringements does not reduce the road toll. As you like to put it, you have no argument against that.

I like Webber's comments and they have a lot of merit when viewed in the correct light. I understand that safety and saving lives is a priority but everyone would have to admit that these days a lot of rules are indeed created or modified to create more revenue rather then save lives. Subsequently the government has made the rules so hard to get your head around that I doubt any one person on the road actually knows all the rules which they are expected to know and follow.

You look at the deaths on roads so far this year. Most which I have seen are a result of trucks which funnily enough always seam to pop up in roads accidents), P platers, repeating offenders or hooning. No changing or tighteing of rules will stop any of these people in regards to the road rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Politics & Government mark webber "nanny state" comments

Remove this Banner Ad

Back