Marstermind Q:T or F? Woosha has been coach of the eagles for three years...

Woosha has been coach of the eagles for 3 yrs and in all 3 yrs has finished 8th

• True

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • False

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Row_z

Debutant
Aug 27, 2004
Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles
Mastermind question on The Footy Show tonight.....

John Worsfold has been coach of the eagles for three years and in all three years has finish 8th, True or False?

The_Ruffneck said:
bit of a trick question , doesnt say if they mean at the end of 22 rounds or at the end of the finals series

I dont even reckon it is a trick question, I think it is wrong. The ladder does not officially change whether it is at the end of the Finals or not. There is an award for whoever finishes on top so considering Port have won it the last two years and Essendon the year before do they have to give that Trophy to the Lions???

Essendon finished 8th this year & last year and history and the record books will say that!!

Thats what i thought, Eagles finished 7th this year, but the contested said true, and eddie said correct. hmmmmmmmmmmm

Rocket23 said:
I dont even reckon it is a trick question, I think it is wrong. The ladder does not officially change whether it is at the end of the Finals or not. There is an award for whoever finishes on top so considering Port have won it the last two years and Essendon the year before do they have to give that Trophy to the Lions???

Essendon finished 8th this year & last year and history and the record books will say that!!
But the Port/Essendon 1st/8th placing are always qualified by "at the end of Rd 22" or "before the finals" Ask anyone in the street who came 1st and 2nd in the AFL comp for the past 2 years and the correct answers are Brisbane and Collingwood.
Hence the Eagles ended up coming 8th in the past 3 years.

It's also the way the draft order works, and hence I reckon it's the way the SEASON, not the qualifiying rounds ended.

but if weagles lost to 6th and melbourne lost to 8th, wouldn't that make Melbourne 8th and eagles still 7th?

I dont think you can really rate 3rd to 8th cos the finals are really only set up to desice 1st and 2nd.

Row_z said:
but if weagles lost to 6th and melbourne lost to 8th, wouldn't that make Melbourne 8th and eagles still 7th?

I dont think you can really rate 3rd to 8th cos the finals are really only set up to desice 1st and 2nd.

Good point Row Z. If you dont have a play off for minor placings then how can you change the position of the ladder??

Pope I understand the way in which it works but the fact is if you ask anyone who knows about footy who finished on top the last 2 years they will say Port Adelaide. If you asked who won the GF they would say Brisbane. Brisbane didn't finish first they won the GF!!!

On a side note. Who gets the higher draft pick Melbourne or West Coast???

Row_z said:

After the first week, the two eliminated teams are considered to have finished 7th and 8th, the team that finished higher in the H&A finishes 7th and the other 8th, hence Melbourne 7th, West Coast 8th.

After the second week, the same happens for 5th and 6th. Again the H&A position determines the outcome, so if the matches go as per seeding, Sydney would finish 5th and Essendon 6th. If they both won, St Kilda would finish 5th and Geelong 6th.

After week three its more complicated.
- If both the week one winners lose then its ladder position again (this would mean Port 3 and Brisbane 4),
- If both the teams coming from the semis lose (as seeding would indicate) then they go as per H&A finish (say St Kilda 3 and Geelong 4).
- However if the two losers got to the prelims through different paths, then the one that won their week one final comes 3rd, and the one that lost comes 4th - hence last year Sydney finished 3rd and Port 4th.

I'm sure most people can work out the remaining couple of positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rocket23 said:
Good point Row Z. If you dont have a play off for minor placings then how can you change the position of the ladder??
Losers in first week = 7th and 8th (highest ranked team before the finals gets 7th (ie Freo last year, Melb this year), losers in 2nd week 5th and 6th etc etc.
Pope I understand the way in which it works but the fact is if you ask anyone who knows about footy who finished on top the last 2 years they will say Port Adelaide. If you asked who won the GF they would say Brisbane. Brisbane didn't finish first they won the GF!!!
To me the question was who finished the season in 8th place. ie the 8th best team. That has to be post finals, as pre finals only Port fans care about! :D
On a side note. Who gets the higher draft pick Melbourne or West Coast???
Same as Freo, WC last year, WC will get pick 3+8+1=12, Melb 13.
Draft Order assuming no trades:

1. Rich
  2. Haw
  3. WB
  4. Rich
  5. Haw
  6. WB
  7. Coll
  8. Adel
  9. Carl
  10. Kang
  11. Freo
  12. WC
  13. Melb
  14. Lower ranked loser this week from Ess, Syd or Gee
  15. Other loser this week out of Ess, Syd, Gee or Saints
  16. Lower ranked loser from the Prelim games (ie from Ess, Syd, Gee, Saints or Bris - Port can't be the lowest ranked loser next week)
  17. Other Prelim loser
  18. Grand Final runner up
  19. Winner of Grand Final
Unless you state "at the end of Rd 22" then post finals order is the year's finishing order.

Remove this Banner Ad

Marstermind Q:T or F? Woosha has been coach of the eagles for three years...

Back