martial arts - which is best?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but both those moves are legal in all forms of MMA. So if aikido is so affective why aren't all fighters taking it up?

And both those move are Judo oriented. The dude in the first one was Lyoto Machida, who is a Karate dude (surprisingly), and the technique wasn't even remotely similar to the one show after by the Aikido guy. He used the near arm in some sort of reverse chicken wing, Machida actually did a hip throw, his opponents near arm was around his back, I'd be guessing he learnt that move through his history in Sumo, he's never even trained in Aikido. The second dude is a Japanese Judokai who's name escapes me, so I'm guessing what he was doing was also Judo, you can see as much by the leg trip that he was trying to throw.

The statement that Aikidokai wouldn't enter MMA is absurd, they have in the early days of the UFC, and they had their arses summarily kicked. Ever since they've sat on the outside whining about the rules, and multiple attackers and all that other nonsical bullshit about some magical "real" world where the life they spent training aikido isn't a complete waste of time. Just like those wing chun idiots.

And I don't know what you are talking about with the samurai warfare reference? Aikido was created around 1930. The samurai as a class were basically extinct about 60 years before. The hand to hand combat of the samurai was basically traditional Juijutsu.
Fair enough mate. There's plenty of debate on the subject and some swear by Aikido and there are some who think it is borderline fraudulent (it's not Yellow Bamboo FFS :D )!

Having trained Iwama Ryu for a couple of years, I reckon it is a stunning art with a very strong spiritual element. For mine I don't think it should ever crossover into the sporting arena. I'd wish any attacker the best of luck surviving in a full blown life-threatening attack on anyone 2nd or 3rd Dan up!

Fair enough mate. There's plenty of debate on the subject and some swear by Aikido and there are some who think it is borderline fraudulent (it's not Yellow Bamboo FFS :D )!

Having trained Iwama Ryu for a couple of years, I reckon it is a stunning art with a very strong spiritual element. For mine I don't think it should ever crossover into the sporting arena. I'd wish any attacker the best of luck surviving in a full blown life-threatening attack on anyone 2nd or 3rd Dan up!

I'd done some boxing and other bits and pieces growing up and was pretty strong and athletic when I took up Aikido and was a bit sceptical at the start but the 3rd dan instructor would absolutely tear me a new one if it was a proper comabt attack. Older un-assuming guy who you wouldn't hesitate in going toe to toe with if you had to but he would open a fair old can of whoop-arse if he ever needed:D

There are some Aikido 'pretenders' around I reckon that couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. I always laugh at the vid of the old guy who was supposedly highly proficient in Aikido who took on the judo or karate (can't remember which) guy and had his arse kicked.:thumbsu:

FFS.

No martial art is the outright best. Every style has its positives, and its flaws. Theres no right or wrong way when it comes to martial training.

People who run around saying their style is the best, and beats everything else are usually just fanboys who only just started and are having a wank.

'Once you know the way, the way is void'.

I got no problem with people doing it. If you want all that spiritual stuff it's seems pretty good.

It comes down to how you define "best." If you want great stand up then I'd say the best is Muay Tai. But I personally don't want to be kicked in the head 3 days a week. It's really an opinion matter. It's like saying what's you favorite flavor of icecream.

There are some Aikido 'pretenders' around I reckon that couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. I always laugh at the vid of the old guy who was supposedly highly proficient in Aikido who took on the judo or karate (can't remember which) guy and had his arse kicked.:thumbsu:
Agreed.

I know the vid you are talking about and he knows nothing of Aikido. More like a Yellow Bamboo wannabe who gets pwned.

I am not qualified to discuss which is the best on the same level as many guys here, but I recall doing Hapkido a few years back. I was a yellow belt and we were sparring at the start of the class. I was paired with another yellow belt, who happened to be a black belt at Tae Kwon Do but had decided to train in another discipline.

The sparring was meant to be non contact, but he kept goading me to try and hit him. I asked permission from the master who smiled and said "try your best". I punched myself into almost total exhaustion as this guy blocked everything with ease, all with an annoying smile on his face.

I would imagine that most of the martial arts would be helpful if you do them long enough with enough intensity.

I am not qualified to discuss which is the best on the same level as many guys here, but I recall doing Hapkido a few years back. I was a yellow belt and we were sparring at the start of the class. I was paired with another yellow belt, who happened to be a black belt at Tae Kwon Do but had decided to train in another discipline.

The sparring was meant to be non contact, but he kept goading me to try and hit him. I asked permission from the master who smiled and said "try your best". I punched myself into almost total exhaustion as this guy blocked everything with ease, all with an annoying smile on his face.

I would imagine that most of the martial arts would be helpful if you do them long enough with enough intensity.

So true. Although some people can become very good very quickly at different disciplines whereas it can take others a lot longer. Like anything I suppose. Bloody funny though. My old boss used to run a Tae Kwon Do dojo and every now and then I'd have a mess around with him but the bugger could still kick over my head even though he was shorter than me !

kung fu gave us bruce lee, jackie chan, jet li, kung fu panda and hundreds of other great fighters (a lot of them unknown in western markets obviously)

karate gave us the karate kid (that movie was an embarressment to both asians and white people :eek:), and jean claude van dam (on his wikipedia page)

so obviously kung fu :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jiujitsu

this bloke would eat Bruce Lee for breakfast:

RoyceGracie-web.bmp

Ninjitsu kicks more arse than anything else. It's one of the most confusing martial arts out there. One minute your blocking low, the next, you get hit in the back and from the top. :eek:

Can anyone recommend a good BJJ training joint around the area of Hawthorn/Kooyong/Toorak, or thereabouts?

I know a guy who used to train on the corner of Warrigal and Waverley Roads in Chadstone and there's a Jits at Monash Uni in Caulfield. There's a dojo near Glenhuntly station that is Judo and Aikido and I had a feeling they were BJJ as well but nmot sure.

Origami goes alright...anyone had a papercut before...they freakin' kill man:D

I know a guy who used to train on the corner of Warrigal and Waverley Roads in Chadstone and there's a Jits at Monash Uni in Caulfield. There's a dojo near Glenhuntly station that is Judo and Aikido and I had a feeling they were BJJ as well but nmot sure.

Origami goes alright...anyone had a papercut before...they freakin' kill man:D

Cheers mate.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

martial arts - which is best?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back