Status
Not open for further replies.
Round 2

Avoca ($1.25) v Maldon ($3.50)
Newstead ($2) v Carisbrook ($1.75)
Harcourt ($1.04) v Dunolly ($10)
Trentham ($3) v Talbot ($1.30)
Rovers ($1.40) v Royal Park ($2.80)

Dr. Phil you join if you like. Minimum bet is $50.

Some great odds here Crank with plenty of value. Will have to study the form before deciding on my bets this week!

In all honesty thumbs up to the teams and the league! Looks like the MCDFL is a lot closer this year then it has been in quite sometime. What was everyones thoughts on the shorter quarters, personally i think you would have to go back a long time to see that no team kicked over 20 goals for the round as well as there not being any really big blow outs!

Avoca seems to be the big improvers which i did expect, but not until later in the year once they had played more together. Its a credit to them to come out firing round one and knock off the brook! Whisper was my main man played a fair role in the loss too, you can't do much when its 17 on 18 and the big show's off riding the pine!

Good post IB! :thumbsu:

I agree that Avoca's victory over Brook at home was easily the best performance of the round! Hats off to them!

Round 2

Treacy and the brooks to fire this week..ill put my house on it

There were many reasons for the lack of scoring which dont need to be gone into. We didn't get many praccy matches in due to the uncertainty of season and as such the structure of the side is far from settled. We will improve each week and who cares what the scores were at halftime..... final result was 4 goals which is certainly more than respectable considering the position we found ourselves in at the main break. Would hardly say we have been spruiking! Merely stating continuously that we are keen (as footballers not the club as a whole) to get the season underway! Have only ever stated we will improve and improve we have and will as the season progresses. The Z-Man has the intelligence of a half eaten pie judging by his posts!

In regard to the shorter quarters I felt they were noticeably shorter at Talbot. Not sure if the umpires/time keepers have got time-on sorted as yet but would expect that to improve during the season as everyone becomes accustomed to it. Umpiring at Talbot was ok. Some poor decisions as their often is but they were ok I thought.

I watched this game and thought Harcourt's skill errors were atrocious, which will not happen again with another week on training track - expect massive improvement there.

As for the lack of scoring highlighted above - spare a thought for the lions who have played one practice match in shocking conditions and were called up to play four days before a match.

I thought Talbot fought on well, but were never in the match having not posted a major to half time.

Talbot may have finished four goals in arrears, but four or five of those came in the dying minutes of the match when Harcourt did run out of legs.

Sherman played well.

I watched this game and thought Harcourt's skill errors were atrocious, which will not happen again with another week on training track - expect massive improvement there.

As for the lack of scoring highlighted above - spare a thought for the lions who have played one practice match in shocking conditions and were called up to play four days before a match.

I thought Talbot fought on well, but were never in the match having not posted a major to half time.

Talbot may have finished four goals in arrears, but four or five of those came in the dying minutes of the match when Harcourt did run out of legs.

Sherman played well.

thanks AC rocket!!!!!!!, obviuosly a good judge of football:D :D :D .
i agree with some things there but others i would have to question, as for harocurts skills i thought they were ok, but no doubt they have been better, like u said with time they will be spot on as usual, however i would say that Talbot's skill level in the first half was terrible and we didnt one grab the ball, which resultled in various turnovers, something we will def work on and will come once players get used to match pressure.....harcourt do pressure sides well on the other hand though, and i found it hard to find space all day.

to zankster and fifth quarter i re-iterate what king rich has already said!!!!!, we said we would improve and we have, look forward to this weeks challenge and hopefully our first win of the season which can get the ball rolling.... i think we should wait till next time we play harcourt to get a true judge of how the teams have progresses before ppl start getting over critical....

Special note: To I believe it was from being told Lin Silivic or how-ever his name is spelt for his special contribution as boundary umpire in that game. He threw the ball in looking straight at the contest & threw it over the ruckmans head all day to the standing Avoca onballers, can't believe the umpires let that also go, where Steve Ad blew his whistle for every other bloody thing during the day, also say I thought that it was over umpired also, with the bigger body umpire also joining in the shannigins of Addlem, but struggled with his arm signals the correct way during his calls. I say umpires let the bloody game go, No one pays to see you blokes the centre of attention all day. But sorry Steve thats how you like it. No wonder the league is struggling for umpires when new blood has to deal with you.

A bit harsh I would have thought Monty. No one ever wants to do the boundary no matter how many pies and cans of coke you offer fhem. Lincoln was partly changed after the Ressies when the president asked if anyone would do the boundary umpiring and of course he was greeted with deathly silence. Lincoln could see that the club was stuck as the game couldn't proceed until a boundary umpire was found. After volunteering to give up his valuable time to do the job he was abused by a section of the crowd. Lincoln is a very smart boy and handled the situation with aplumb. His comeback was 'well here's the whistle, you have a go if you think you can do a better job'. Strangely he had no offers forthcoming.
The other factor you need to take into account is do you want the ball thrown up where a contest can happen or do you want to have some junior throwing the ball in and not even reaching the ruckman's shoe laces.
Also have you seen Lincoln's girlfriend - pretty tidy one would think and through his dedication to the game copped an hour of abuse when he could have been whispering sweet nothings in her ear.
Will he want to do the boundary umpiring next time the club asks - probably not.
Lincoln is a marvellous young fellow who has won an under age league B & F and will be a great asset on the playing field once he gets a bit more fitness under his belt.
And besides, didn't Avoca have the best of the rucking duels anyway?

Excuse me. I think saturday was one of my better performances. Spot on with the decisions. Players need to read the rule book they have no idea.

Rule 14.1.3 - Prior Opportunity

If you are tackled with or without the ball it will be holding the ball.

P.S. Picked up saturday night and she was glamorous. Perks of being a great umpire.

In fairness to the umpires I think it is the new rules that have been imposed that make their job difficult. I thought Steve controlled the game pretty well as there was always going to be a bit of feeling in this game.
I attribute the fact that the MCDFL is presently a pretty clean league due to the strength of character that umpires like Steve Addlem, Aaron Mchoul etc have shown in making the tough calls. Not so many years back when I went to a Newstead v Talbot game there was a Newstead supporter running around with his video camera trying to film what he thought were injustices that were happening in the league at that time.
As for umpire, Jeremy Nijam, he has always been one of Avoca's favorites.
Perhaps we as supporters need to make some adjustments to the new rulings or tell the powers to be - please stop imposing new interpretation as it is ruining a good game of football.
From where I was standing on Saturday, and it was pretty close to the action, I thought Avoca was always going to win that game.
To see former players in Nick and Ash Robinson lead the Carisbrook team out holding hands prior to the first bounce was probably a motivating factor in the Bulldogs performance. What was all that about?

AS someone who cares for footy stats a fair bit, Rich. and Sherman, I think Talbot's half-time score should bear some scrutiny.
Are you saying no one cares whether Geelong's 3 quarter time score on Sunday evening of 29.9 (183) shouldn't be recognised as the VFL/AFL greatest ever score for three quarters of football ??
Everyone looks at quarter-by-quarter scores and not just the full-time ones.
And Sherman another poster has scrutinised your last quarter return of 4.4 by saying the Talbot goals seemed to come in real, real junk time --- like when Harcourt had completely run out of puff and when the game had completely, utterly and irretrievably gone.

In fairness to the umpires I think it is the new rules that have been imposed that make their job difficult. I thought Steve controlled the game pretty well as there was always going to be a bit of feeling in this game.
I attribute the fact that the MCDFL is presently a pretty clean league due to the strength of character that umpires like Steve Addlem, Aaron Mchoul etc have shown in making the tough calls. Not so many years back when I went to a Newstead v Talbot game there was a Newstead supporter running around with his video camera trying to film what he thought were injustices that were happening in the league at that time.
As for umpire, Jeremy Nijam, he has always been one of Avoca's favorites.
Perhaps we as supporters need to make some adjustments to the new rulings or tell the powers to be - please stop imposing new interpretation as it is ruining a good game of football.
From where I was standing on Saturday, and it was pretty close to the action, I thought Avoca was always going to win that game.
To see former players in Nick and Ash Robinson lead the Carisbrook team out holding hands prior to the first bounce was probably a motivating factor in the Bulldogs performance. What was all that about?

Holding Hands what are you on about wonker. No need to make stuff up buddy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AS someone who cares for footy stats a fair bit, Rich. and Sherman, I think Talbot's half-time score should bear some scrutiny.
Are you saying no one cares whether Geelong's 3 quarter time score on Sunday evening of 29.9 (183) shouldn't be recognised as the VFL/AFL greatest ever score for three quarters of football ??
And Sherman another poster has scrutinised your last quarter return of 4.4 by saying the Talbot goals seemed to come in real, real junk time --- like when Harcourt had completely run out of puff and when the game had completely, utterly and irretrievably gone.

we are not denying that it was a poor first half jock but to only lose by 4 goals after a goaless first half proves we must have put in a credible performance....records are records jock there to be broken so ofcourse it counts but u can hardly compare richmond and talbot's performance. yes the match was done and dusted half way through the last quarter but we still never gave up which is more than you can say for others clubs who may have been put in the same position.......rich and myself are only sticking up for our club's performance and being passionate supporters of the club is that such a crime????, i would hardly say that we are being terribly bias as well, we have admitted it was a poor first half but we fought back well to outscore the lions 11 goals to 8 in the final half. 7 of which were kicked in the 3rd quarter.

harcourt are the powerhouse of the competition and we feel is was a credible performance in which improvments can def be made apon

It's round one for ****s sake. Talbot have a totally different team to last year. Just sit back and wait on the statements of how $hit they are because it could well come back to bite on the a$$.

we are not denying that it was a poor first half jock but to only lose by 4 goals after a goaless first half proves we must have put in a credible performance....records are records jock there to be broken so ofcourse it counts but u can hardly compare richmond and talbot's performance. yes the match was done and dusted half way through the last quarter but we still never gave up which is more than you can say for others clubs who may have been put in the same position.......rich and myself are only sticking up for our club's performance and being passionate supporters of the club is that such a crime????, i would hardly say that we are being terribly bias as well, we have admitted it was a poor first half but we fought back well to outscore the lions 11 goals to 8 in the final half. 7 of which were kicked in the 3rd quarter.

harcourt are the powerhouse of the competition and we feel is was a credible performance in which improvments can def be made apon

Hey Sherm,

David Clarke will be a big loss for you guys. Played well for Maryborough on Saturday.

Hey Sherm,

David Clarke will be a big loss for you guys. Played well for Maryborough on Saturday.

No Comment on this man. I certainly wouldn't count your chickens just yet as he is only on permit so I believe. We shall wait and see.

As for Jocks comment yes we do deserve scrutiny and criticism for our first half performance. It certainly wasn't acceptable for the players and supporters and thankfully we were able to rectify that in the second half where other clubs may have wilted completely I think. We are a new side and need time to gel but without 'accepting a noble defeat', 4 goals against Harcourt is not a bad effort first up.

I would say Carisbrooks loss at home to Brook deserves far more scrutiny than ours to be honest! Considering they were getting blown away at 3/4 time.

Nice reply Roger to go next to your good game on Saturday!
Hey did you end up finding your wallet Wonker?
Now come on, stop sucking up to the umpires Wonker. I don’t mean to be having a go at you here because you provide some excellent posts on here, but really, not one person at the ground on Saturday wouldn’t say that the game was well & truly over umpired. The ball wouldn’t have gone from one end to the other without the umpires getting involved. In fact I don’t think their would have been more than 2 contests in a row without a whistle. The amount of people around me who said this is utter bull s*#t & that they didn’t pay money to come & watch umpires blow their whistle all day was amazing.
Now don’t go thinking that I’m saying it was all one sided. The game was clearly over umpired & it affected both sides. I think it’s a credit to both the Brook & Avoca players that tempers didn’t boil over & that’s what generally happens with umpiring like we saw on Saturday.
The fact that the umpires were arguing between themselves on the field is a joke. Adlem at one point refused to hand over power while the other guy had paid a free kick, while I also were told by some players after the game that Steve was heard to say “why don’t you let me have a go at umpiring for a minute’. Umpires can wreak a good game. The district league footy is scrappy enough & over umpiring only makes it worse. The game needs to be allowed to flow like the 2nds match was.
As for the boundary umpire, he’ll never play senior footy as long as his judgement remains as bad as it is…. What I mean by that is that he couldn’t judge when LT was 1 meter inside the boundary line & his judgement certainly wasn’t good enough to catch the ball when LT threw the ball back to him resulting in, yes you guessed it, another free kick!!!
I obviously wasn’t at the Talbot match but to be held goalless to half time then only go down by 4 goals to me says either 1 of two things. Harcourt aren’t fit which I don’t believe, or that Talbot must have played some pretty good committed footy to get back into it & finish so close. So hats off to Talbot on a pretty good effort I reckon.

Round 2

Crank

I will have $300 on Brook & $300 on Talbot thanks mate. I need to bounce back after last week!

No Comment on this man. I certainly wouldn't count your chickens just yet as he is only on permit so I believe. We shall wait and see.

I also heard that Clarky is showing some interest in playing on permit for Castlemaine if he can't make it at Maryborough King - wasn't too sure if you were aware of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back