Mason Cox...showing some promise

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want to sound overly negative but I have to play the devils advocate regarding this signing.

I am a bit suspicious

If he really does have the potential everyone says he does then why would he come to Australia. We all know that AFL players get paid peanuts compared to what is on offer in the USA. A mediocre player in Baseball, Basketball or Football there gets way more than what he will earn here.

I agree with everything you say.....However this is a no-brainer. It costs us nothing in terms of draft picks - only money in developing someone with terrific athletic ability. And I think the club owes it to all the supporters and sponsors who tip money into the club to try to develop a player with potential.

Welcome aboard Mason

Picking collingwood is even more proof of your intelligence, yes even over your Engineering degree and job offer from Mobil

This is a great move by the club; for too long I was worried about the size of our Cox, it was always wider than it needed to be, which I guess wouldn't have been such an issue if it was also longer. I remember when after an offseason Bucks checked the size of our Cox and found it to be unacceptable, and the tough questions were asked about whether Cox was prepared to do what it took to get into the appropriate shape.

Now our new Cox is really big, the biggest in the league. Certainly the longest, anyway. Having a bigger Cox than even West Coast is a real coup. Get excited!

We filled a slot with Wood, but now that he's been given the arse we're using Cox in that position.

I'm an OU man (have spent time in Oklahoma and have good friends there) so I'll have to get over the fact that he's from OSU.

Can't kick or handball (meh... details) and is skinny but he moves really, really well for 211cm. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I don't want to sound overly negative but I have to play the devils advocate regarding this signing.

I am a bit suspicious

If he really does have the potential everyone says he does then why would he come to Australia. We all know that AFL players get paid peanuts compared to what is on offer in the USA. A mediocre player in Baseball, Basketball or Football there gets way more than what he will earn here.
Because he wasn't going to get paid anything in the US- he is worse than mediocre at basketball. He averaged 0.3 points per game in his college career.

I am a bit suspicious

Maybe but look at the patience and end pleasing result the Swans are having with Mike Pike, ps just got back from Istanbul great place

His ball drop is crazy. Hands are so big he just drops it with the one hand.
He has the ball drop of an American football punter.
I would assume one of the first things he is taught will be how to drop the ball correctly for a drop punt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he is that bad at basketball, why is he going to be any better at football?
Because they're completely different sports, obviously. Nobody's saying he's a guarantee, it's probably a 15% chance of working out. But it's exciting that we're the ones who get that chance.

If he is that bad at basketball, why is he going to be any better at football?

He was a soccer player (a keeper, I'm guessing) who was convinced to take up basketball at OSU. In the interview one of their players says he's become their leading rebounder, or at least one of them. That's actually a really, really impressive accomplishment. His points per game average is pretty much meaningless, given the role he would have played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mason Cox...showing some promise

Remove this Banner Ad

Back