Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you been away overseas and not been able to watch pies games this season ?

He’s been bloody crucial to where we are atm. Provides a chop out in the Ruck and consistently draws two defenders to him.

He’s a role player. We don’t have that big forward that bombs them outside 50. Do we need it ? Possibly.

You are so contradicting with what you want out of him

Fanboy ? Yeah probably. First to say he has a shit game. Like last week against eagles. Last night he provided a lot.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure how you come to that conclusion, I've been pretty consistent with my assessment of him.

A majority on Bigfooty seems to think trying hard and making a contest is enough. I don't. But then again, a majority of Bigfooty judge him based on his relative experience in the game rather than on actual merit.

Er ..Mason would be taking up half the amount of salary cap space that Cloke was.

Cloke was our highest paid player and performed nothing like that.
Mason is paying his way.

Cloke kicked 70 goals in 22 games the year after he signed his contract. Cox has kicked 47 in 42 to date....

Cloke was never out marked and always brought the ball to ground as well, it wasn't as highly valued when he did it though for some reason!!

Derailing a season by making a media circus out of his contract , yeah definitely the same :thumbsu:

Lol, you are a shocker for just distorting posts to meet your own agenda. Original post said Cloke got held to a higher standard because he held the club to ransom, Cox did the exact same thing with Brisbane offer over the off season though.

Why'd you dodge my question anyway? What part of my assessment of Cox was contradictory?

Cloke kicked 70 goals in 22 games the year after he signed his contract. Cox has kicked 47 in 42 to date....

Cloke was never out marked and always brought the ball to ground as well, it wasn't as highly valued when he did it though for some reason!!

I'll say it one more time.
People had higher expectations of Cloke because he demanded to be paid like a top 10 player in the league. He didn't live up to that.

Cox is reaching or possibly exceeding expectations so most supporters are positive about that. You're not, and that's fine. It's not worth going around in circles.

Lol, you are a shocker for just distorting posts to meet your own agenda. Original post said Cloke got held to a higher standard because he held the club to ransom, Cox did the exact same thing with Brisbane offer over the off season though. I didn't say they were equally as bad, I just said they both held the club to ransom, big difference was Cloke had runs on the board though.

Why'd you dodge my question anyway? What part of my assessment of Cox was contradictory?

Didn't dodge it.

You bang on how slow he is and how he is a liability. Yet underrate his contested style of play purely because he is 7 foot and don't want to acknowledge the work he does to free up our other forwards

There are no 7 foot contested quick running forwards in the game.

You post absolute dribble and to be honest its so hard to get points across to people like you as you seem to go off on another tangent to justify your point, apparently now we are comparing T Cloke to Cox.

While on that subject , Cloke is the dumbest footballer ive seen to pull on a pies jumper. Cox runs rings around him in terms of footy smarts

Didn't dodge it.

You bang on how slow he is and how he is a liability. Yet underrate his contested style of play purely because he is 7 foot and don't want to acknowledge the work he does to free up our other forwards

There are no 7 foot contested quick running forwards in the game.

You post absolute dribble and to be honest its so hard to get points across to people like you as you seem to go off on another tangent to justify your point, apparently now we are comparing T Cloke to Cox.

While on that subject , Cloke is the dumbest footballer ive seen to pull on a pies jumper. Cox runs rings around him in terms of footy smarts

This is too ironic to not be a pisstake

Again didn't have a great night, needs to be imposing himself significantly more in the air.

Did a few nice things in the second-half, has quite an intuitive football brain for someone who didn't grow up with the game.

Had a fantastic night. Played his role perfectly. I dont know what else you could expect. He is doing exactly what is required of him. Wont clunk marks and kick goals every week and with our gamestyle he doesnt need to.

Had a fantastic night. Played his role perfectly. I dont know what else you could expect. He is doing exactly what is required of him. Wont clunk marks and kick goals every week and with our gamestyle he doesnt need to.
I'm not sure why we need to distort reality.

He didn't have a 'fantastic' night. He was average in the first half, but slowly found his way into the game at some important moments in the second.

For us to beat Richmond, he's going to need to find another gear. A performance like he produced against Port Adelaide a month ago would be incredibly useful.

I'm not sure why we need to distort reality.

He didn't have a 'fantastic' night. He was average in the first half, but slowly found his way into the game at some important moments in the second.

For us to beat Richmond, he's going to need to find another gear. A performance like he produced against Port Adelaide a month ago would be incredibly useful.

Big statement. To beat Richmond we need to find another gear. Wow. Whodathunkit.

Any other gems of wisdom?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

........Why behave like that when trying to have a discussion?

Just make yourself out to be a moron.

No real need.

L P I thought Cox did enough last night (don’t get me started on his WC game) the beauty about our team this year is we have been playing as a TEAM.

He plays next week.......this discussion is irrelevant as he will not be dropped.

He also copped a big hit last night and played on......it wasn’t shown on the TV but I noticed as I watched him closely this game.

L P I thought Cox did enough last night (don’t get me started on his WC game) the beauty about our team this year is we have been playing as a TEAM.

He plays next week.......this discussion is irrelevant as he will not be dropped.

He also copped a big hit last night and played on......it wasn’t shown on the TV but I noticed as I watched him closely this game.
I at no point said he should be dropped. Not once.

He's too important structurally.

I at no point said he should be dropped. Not once.

He's too important structurally.

Fair enough.

His performance was passable last night that’s my point.

I was just short of giving him a pass.

But I was pleased he kept at it, and had some solid moments in the 2nd half.

The HS gave him 5.5/10

It was about right IMO.

Yeah right

Herald sun
Sam landsberger
Great judge

Guy who got gws back in the game gets a 4

10 possessions 5 clearance second quarter

Good judge landsberger
More than happy with the big fella
Straightens us up
Contests strongly
Doesn't do the cloke and lead s to the pockets

Mans up and gets it inthe danger zone , hence our crumbers being ably to anticipate
Hence why he's always up against a pack

Hence our success

Go back and watch the first quarter, thought Cox whilst not being as clean as we all would like really brought the intensity at the ball and in the marking contest. I think this is where he would be ahead of Moore at this stage in the same role. I was also impressed at how quick he is running in a straight line. Any deviation from said straight line of course and he looks every part of 7ft, but the man's playing a lone hand as a tall in attack and drawing numbers in every pack as a result.

The fact that teams are having to factor him and his size into how they're going to defend against us to me is enough to warrant his selection. Add some release marks out of defence, intensity minus the final finesse touch at times and I think last night he made any long kicks we did down the line a lot less noticable because he was under them creating a contest.

On a slightly side note, the guy may never get there, but his leading and positioning has improved hugely, last thing left is ironing out that bit if panic you can almost feel as he gets first hands to the ball, causing him to spill. If he gets that sorted which he very well might do given that big guys taking longer and him about to enter his fourth season, look out.

This very much. In the past week I realised that it has been many years since we had a realisable goal kicking key forward. Fox’s best games are when he kicks 2 and takes 5 marks - those used to be Cloke’s poor games. I love Cox but he’s a depth player, and we need to find a consistent mainstay immediately.

We've already got a gun full forward who's going to win multiple coleman medals. Cox is just a big decoy, who is bloody good at drawing defenders and bringing the ball to ground and then competes surprisingly well at ground level.

Cloke was a star. He was a 2 time all australian centre half forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Back