Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Pendles said in a podcast that he expects at some point in his career Cox will kick 8 goals in a game, or a huge bag.

We can sometimes forget just how far he has come in the few years of him being a footballer, his development has been unbelievable and has personally exceeded my expectations by some margin. The fact that he still has room for development has me believing that he will be a very handy footballer, the fact that he's kicked 11 goals out of his last 10 quarters played (VFL included) I believe is a glimpse as to what he's capable of.
I agree, we all talk about how he has to keep improving, but we as a team need to improve on utilizing him properly, he doesn't need much of an advantage, just needs a run at it and more often than not he'll mark it or draw a free.

If we are pinning our hopes on a 26yr old foreigner who has shown he is poor and not up to standard, despite the odd cameo we've got huge problems as a club.
If he is a better footballer than Ben Reid for example, I must be watching a different game.

He wasn't recruited for his football smarts, he was recruited because he's 7 foot tall and can move, and he's tracking very nicely.

He wasn't recruited for his football smarts, he was recruited because he's 7 foot tall and can move, and he's tracking very nicely.

Lmaoo wow.
Height? That's why we recruited him?

He can move?
I've seen milk turn quicker.

Tracking very nicely?

This club has has accepted mediocrity for so long that it is now ingrained in our supporter base, that everything is ok.

Ask yourself this, if he was delisted tomorrow, which club would seriously put him on their list?

Lmaoo wow.

He can move?

Tracking very nicely?

This club has has accepted mediocrity for so long that it is now ingrained in our supporter base, that everything is ok.

Ask yourself this, if he was delisted tomorrow, which club would seriously put him on their list?
He'd find anotber club easilly, averages more goals per game than Moore iirc, and he's only going to improve.

Lmaoo wow.

He can move?

Tracking very nicely?

Great point... I do see a world where a 211 cm Giant who dominates VFL and has a good AFL record can't make it onto any AFL list... yep.... this is intelligent... yep...

He'd find anotber club easilly, averages more goals per game than Moore iirc, and he's only going to improve.
What club would recruit him as a key forward? Adelaide No, Brisbane No, Carlton No, Essendon No, Freo No, Geelong No, Gold Coast No, GWS No, Hawthorn No, Melbourne No, North No, Port No, Richmond No, St Kilda No, Sydney No, West Coast No and Western Bulldogs No.

Saying that I think the Dogs, Bombers and Freo would take him with an eye on him becoming their ruckman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What club would recruit him as a key forward? Adelaide No, Brisbane No, Carlton No, Essendon No, Freo No, Geelong No, Gold Coast No, GWS No, Hawthorn No, Melbourne No, North No, Port No, Richmond No, St Kilda No, Sydney No, West Coast No and Western Bulldogs No.

Saying that I think the Dogs, Bombers and Freo would take him with an eye on him becoming their ruckman
So you've seen enough mate? I think of him like i think of a 20 year old KF, sure he's 26 but he's played (on a guestimate) around 150 games less than a 20 year old, he's crashing packs, he's launching for marks, he's kicking straight. WTF do you actually want him to do at this stage of his development? He's got something IMO.

So you've seen enough mate? I think of him like i think of a 20 year old KF, sure he's 26 but he's played (on a guestimate) around 150 games less than a 20 year old, he's crashing packs, he's launching for marks, he's kicking straight. WTF do you actually want him to do at this stage of his development? He's got something IMO.
**** you make him sound like the second coming of Jesus Christ but he is not our lord and saviour. So sure you can argue he is like a 20 year old but if he is 5 years of he will be 31 before he arrives and almost simultaneously be over the hill. You talk about all these big grabs he is taking but he took 1 contested mark on the weekend.

**** you make him sound like the second coming of Jesus Christ but he is not our lord and saviour. So sure you can argue he is like a 20 year old but if he is 5 years of he will be 31 before he arrives and almost simultaneously be over the hill. You talk about all these big grabs he is taking but he took 1 contested mark on the weekend.
Never said he's going to be a 10 year player mate, but i reckon he can give us a few good years.

Just out of curiosity, who would you prefer as a KF ATM out of Cox or Grundy?

Sorry to quote the same post again, but where did you get the stat that he had one contested mark? Because that mark he took when he worked to the front was a contested mark for mine, a clever mark too.

Never said he's going to be a 10 year player mate, but i reckon he can give us a few good years.

Just out of curiosity, who would you prefer as a KF ATM out of Cox or Grundy?
I would have played Ben Reid forward he would take the number one defender and take the pressure off Moore. Reid, Moore, Elliott and Fasolo would be our strongest group of forwards

Sorry to quote the same post again, but where did you get the stat that he had one contested mark? Because that mark he took when he worked to the front was a contested mark for mine, a clever mark too.
I'm with you on this Frank.
He took at least two marks where he was able to use his height and judgement to outmark a couple of players.
That's the contested definition for me - he outmarked someone.

Cox on Sunday took 4 marks and kicked 3 goals.

That's great and he'll play again this week the problem is on weeks he doesn't take those grabs which will become harder on days it's a wet wintery day.

At present with Grundy and Moore the favoured ruck combibation it's hard for him to contribute in a secondary role and be useful if he can't hold his marks as in reality he's Sandilands trying to be a full forward.

With Moore likely out for a while, we'll get to see more of Cox. The next few games could give us a better understanding.

Cox on Sunday took 4 marks and kicked 3 goals.

That's great and he'll play again this week the problem is on weeks he doesn't take those grabs which will become harder on days it's a wet wintery day.

At present with Grundy and Moore the favoured ruck combibation it's hard for him to contribute in a secondary role and be useful if he can't hold his marks as in reality he's Sandilands trying to be a full forward.
He also brought the ball to ground for Broomhead's goal. So he directly contributed to 4 goals. Imagine if we had a crumber and told them to run of him. The Hawks defenders sure knew he would bring the ball to ground, but unfortunately we have all players who want to mark instead of crumb.

The most glaring issue with Cox is whatever marks he manages to take come under little or no body pressure. Had Frawley or Gibson played on him on Sunday this discussion most likely would have been completely different.

The most glaring issue with Cox is whatever marks he manages to take come under little or no body pressure. Had Frawley or Gibson played on him on Sunday this discussion most likely would have been completely different.

Coming from a basketball background it's something quite new to him.. no doubt he should improve in that area over the next few years

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Back