Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

He might well know the broad outline of offers, but I'm sure that none of those offers have been proposed in final and 'take it or leave it' terms. My point, really, is that he still won't be entirely clear on what his options are. Once he is, he'll then have the task of weighing them up and making a decision. In any case, there's no reason to think that Mason Cox is ungrateful.

I never said he was, merely saying: I don't think the "weighing" is based around purely monetary sums as much as guaranteed game time in a preferred role.

I never said he was, merely saying: I don't think the "weighing" is based around purely monetary sums as much as guaranteed game time in a preferred role.

Didn't say that you said he was... :) The ingratitude thing was the context of my original comments, that's all.

Now that Bucks has been confirmed hopefully that means the big fella stays.
One hopes, but that will depend on the role he sees himself playing or not. Need to convince him there is a permanent spot for him going forward and rucking with grundy

One hopes, but that will depend on the role he sees himself playing or not. Need to convince him their is a permanent spot for him going forward and rucking with grundy

The only way it works is if they BOTH continue along the form line they showed last weekend in the air. They both have to become forward threats when resting or we fall down and our players must continue to look for them and back them in to win 1v1s.

One hopes, but that will depend on the role he sees himself playing or not. Need to convince him their is a permanent spot for him going forward and rucking with grundy
True.
His marking has improved out of sight and playing on the ball in the VFL clearly helped.
Him rucking solo in the seniors then gave him further confidence.
Was a really good decision to give Mason first ruck duties and Brodes to the forward line - now the onus is on him to improve his marking.
If they can replicate Saturday's game I'll be very happy and hopefully it proved to Mason they can play together.

The only way it works is if they BOTH continue along the form line they showed last weekend in the air. They both have to become forward threats when resting or we fall down and our players must continue to look for them and back them in to win 1v1s.
Totally agree, it was the best both looked together in partnership and the best l seen grundy play forward, there was a lot to like for a change

True.
His marking has improved out of sight and playing on the ball in the VFL clearly helped.
Him rucking solo in the seniors then gave him further confidence.
Was a really good decision to give Mason first ruck duties and Brodes to the forward line - now the onus is on him to improve his marking.
If they can replicate Saturday's game I'll be very happy and hopefully it proved to Mason they can play together.
Just need to convince mason

Not sure that there's too much wrong with the journalism. To my mind there is no ingratitude in Cox's quotes, either the ones you've posted or in the article itself. His comments sound like the words of a man who just has no clear view of (a) what the club will offer him, (b) whether they'll offer him anything, (c) whether Collingwood's offer (if one is made) will be worth his while, or (d) whether another club will give him a lot more to think about.

In other words, he just sounds to me as his quote suggests: He is a guy with 'no idea'.

I'd add (e) whether he'll continue to play footy or return home to the US to pursue a career.

No it's not.
If Mayne is worth that then Cox surely is.
And 400k is not a huge amount considering the increase in the TPP

Hopefully for Mason's sake his manager has a better line than that up his sleeve :D

If Mason is considered an important part of our top 25 -30 for the next 3-4 years then I agree that he has enough unique attributes to justify that sort of price tag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't it funny.. a few weeks ago most of us would have been "meh" on the prospect of Mason leaving. Then Fast Forward to the Dees game - it all clicked and now I think most of us would be (mildly) spewing if he walked.

It's clear the club wants to keep him now they see that him and Reg can co-exist. Hopefully Coxy sees that too, and feels confident he'll get game time.

Love the "now that Bux is signed maybe Cox will sign" comment

Prior to formally knowing he, (Bucks) was being re-contracted Bucks apparently said to him he will always be there for him.
I connected the dots that maybe Cox hasn't signed due to the uncertainty around Bucks.
Time will tell.

Prior to formally knowing he, (Bucks) was being re-contracted Bucks apparently said to him he will always be there for him.
I connected the dots that maybe Cox hasn't signed due to the uncertainty around Bucks.
Time will tell.
He said that addressing the playing group after the game on Saturday, not Cox specifically.

He said that addressing the playing group after the game on Saturday, not Cox specifically.
My mistake, the point still remains Cox may well re-sign.
"Cox revealed Buckley spoke of his pride and love for his players and their effort.
"He said it had been one of his favourite years as coach," he said.
"He said some things are going to change around here but he said he would always be there for us. It was really good to hear that"

There was one of cox's marks, I forget when but I think it was darcy who was kicking it in the forward line, he was about 65 out and you could see cox lurking deep, he put it in the air for cox to run at GOAL SIDE instead of into the pocket, so much more space for him to work into.

It was a change of MO and good to see. Reckon we need to roll the dice a bit more like that.

No it's not.
If Mayne is worth that then Cox surely is.
And 400k is not a huge amount considering the increase in the TPP

There's effectively about $280k for each of the 44 players on the list with the obvious extremes from rookies through to your elite talent. With the average salary expected to climb to $350-400k I agree, $350-400k isn't a ridiculous salary for someone like Cox.

Love the fact he looks to be out the door! So much wasted time, luckily we had Rocca doing the role and not paying a highly credentialed ruck coach to do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Back