Recommitted Mason Redman [re-signed for 5 years]

Does he stay or does he go?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

this makes zero sense.

Adelaide is no more home to him than Melbourne is, he has literally said this himself.

If he goes to Adelaide, it won't have anything to do with the fact he is South Australian, it will be because they are offering significantly more $ than we are. Which i dont believe is the case.
It might make zero sense to you, but it does make a difference.
It's a 45 minute plane fight to Melbourne from Adelaide, yet Victorian kids want to go back to Melbourne to play and be closer to home.
We have kids taken from country Victoria, 3 hours away from Melbourne that want to go "home' to Melbourne.

There is a state loyalty and while they might have been country SA kids, chances are they went to boarding school in Adelaide, they have family and friends in Adelaide, friends in the SANFL club they grew up playing with, and most likely support either Adelaide or Port.

It's a 45 minute plane fight to Melbourne from Adelaide, yet Victorian kids want to go back to Melbourne to play and be closer to home.
45 minutes? Jetstar reckons 1h 20mins each way and they want over $500 for a return ticket. Plus check in, security, and boarding time each way.

If you grew up 3h from Melbourne then that just became a 6h+ trip each way and up to about a thousand dollars for each trip, and it would be frowned upon to make that trip during the season.

It would be more convenient, cheaper and probably faster to drive from Norwood to most regional Victorian towns west of Melbourne.

45 minutes? Jetstar reckons 1h 20mins each way and they want over $500 for a return ticket. Plus check in, security, and boarding time each way.

If you grew up 3h from Melbourne then that just became a 6h+ trip each way and up to about a thousand dollars for each trip, and it would be frowned upon to make that trip during the season.

It would be more convenient, cheaper and probably faster to drive from Norwood to most regional Victorian towns west of Melbourne.

plus driving to and from airports and boarding .. if you forget something you can't just go back and grab it.

Also, it is not just about seeing mum and dad occasionally. It is about seeing your mates on a Wednesday night, driving around where you feel at home and so much more.

We have kids taken from country Victoria, 3 hours away from Melbourne that want to go "home' to Melbourne.

There is a state loyalty and while they might have been country SA kids, chances are they went to boarding school in Adelaide, they have family and friends in Adelaide, friends in the SANFL club they grew up playing with, and most likely support either Adelaide or Port.

that's all well and good as a general generic stance, but that isn't what Mason actually said is it.

he has literally said he has no ties to Adelaide, or South Australia. he is just as happy in Melbourne as Millicent is just as close. these words whilst i'm paraphrasing came out of his actual mouth. its 400km from Adelaide. What 45-minute flight are you even talking about rofl. By the time he flew to Adelaide and then drove to Milicent, he could have just driven from Melbourne and saved 2 + hours.

If you think mason is going to go back to Adelaide for some "home" reason you best brace yourself for disappointment. If he leaves us at all it will be for money, and bombers have plenty of it. So im comfortable we will give him the contract he wants.

Last edited:
I don't think anything a player or manager says during negotiations should be considered gospel.

If he hasn't signed, then he's a chance to go and it's pointless debating it. He either will or won't.
Go listen to his interviews and you’ll see why we’re bullish about it

Like actually listen to the whole thing, not just read a couple of selected quotes

that's all well and good as a general generic stance, but that isn't what Mason actually said is it.

he has literally said he has no ties to Adelaide, or South Australia. he is just as happy in Melbourne as Millicent is just as close. these words whilst i'm paraphrasing came out of his actual mouth. its 400km from Adelaide. What 45-minute flight are you even talking about rofl. By the time he flew to Adelaide and then drove to Milicent, he could have just driven from Melbourne and saved 2 + hours.

If you think mason is going to go back to Adelaide for some "home" reason you best brace yourself for disappointment. If he leaves us at all it will be for money, and bombers have plenty of it. So im comfortable we will give him the contract he wants.
I have no idea if he is going to come back to SA. Generally the player stays, so the chances are he will sign with Essendon.

It takes longer to travel the length of the ring road in peak hour than it does to fly from Adelaide to Melbourne.

One thing I know is that Mason will be singing a contract to play at a club. Right now he’s at Essendon. Puts us in a very good position to retain him.

Last edited:
So all those posters saying that Redman is going to sign any day, meanwhile Essendon is rolling out Simon Madden to try and get him to stay at the club.
Looks like some of the "intel" coming from Essendon insiders here is a little wonky.

So all those posters saying that Redman is going to sign any day, meanwhile Essendon is rolling out Simon Madden to try and get him to stay at the club.
Looks like some of the "intel" coming from Essendon insiders here is a little wonky.
Yeah, Garry is talking out of his ass.

the only thing a little wonky is that you are listening to Gary Lyon lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That happened a lot a few years ago, and then it stopped randomly. I hate Essendon's media department 🤣 it's still so defensive and trying to spin everything all the time when there's not a lot of need for it anymore
It is strongly rumoured that last year Heppell was signed months before season end. So well before the media was speculating he'd go to Gold Coast etc.

We shall see.

I'm not saying he 100% won't leave. I'm just saying this whole Adelaide/South Australian thing has nothing to do with it. Crows supporters are trying to romanticize it when Mason has said himself that he has zero ties to Adelaide as a city or as a club.

If he leaves it is 100% about the offer. Both Contract length and $.

C'mon guys, Mason lived in Adelaide for 8 months. In that time he made lifelong friends and really felt part of the place. Just because he has lived in Melbourne for the previous 8 years he still considers those 8 months a huge part of his life and will move back and become Mayor then Premier of South Australia such are his ties to the place.

I'm not saying he 100% won't leave. I'm just saying this whole Adelaide/South Australian thing has nothing to do with it. Crows supporters are trying to romanticize it when Mason has said himself that he has zero ties to Adelaide as a city or as a club.

You think hed consider 750k/5 from Gold Coast over Adelaides same deal?

Lyon doesn't say when the presentation was. Could have been 3 weeks ago and now they're in final negotiations? All Lyon's info confirms is that he's talking with Essendon.

The most interesting thing about Simon Madden is that he resigned the board of the football club last October because he was mad about the direction of the club, voted for Brasher to stay as President and wanted to stay the course, presumably keep Rutten, etc.

So either he's changed his tune a lot, or he's actively trying to convince Redman to leave 🤔

Ok, if SA/Adelaide has nothing to do with it, if he does leave do you think he is just as likely to go to Qld, NSW and WA as he is to go to Adelaide? If it's just about the money then he is more likely not to get to Adelaide.

Ok, if SA/Adelaide has nothing to do with it, if he does leave do you think he is just as likely to go to Qld, NSW and WA as he is to go to Adelaide? If it's just about the money then he is more likely not to get to Adelaide.
I imagine potential team success would come into the equation.

Crows starting to shown future potential, Gold Coast, Eagles Sydney and GWS not as much

Doubt Brisbane could afford him nor have a huge need for him

It's Crows or Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Mason Redman [re-signed for 5 years]

Back